First T, special requirements

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah, Tromsø, the "Paris of the North" :D. We live in the same country, but in distance you´re almost as far away from Oslo as @Chris LXXIX in Lombardia, Italia.
I don't know my man because I was only posing about Lombardy. Actually I live in Hammerfest, where I can smash 24/7 hammers in the heads of those I dislike :troll:

Sijaka

Arachnopeon
I don't know my man because I was only posing about Lombardy. Actually I live in Hammerfest, where I can smash 24/7 hammers in the heads of those I dislike :troll:
Hammerfest is not that far away, still a 10h drive tho :p

I've done a little research with my local pet shop, they do have a gramostola conception for sale at the moment, but can get their hands on avi. Avi., citharischius crawshayi and cyriopagopus paganus.
They might get their hands on a b. Emilia, bohemi or klaasi.

I do think international orders (uk) would be to risky with temperatures as they are now, even tough I've gotten a positive response on shipping at my own (the T's) risk.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hammerfest is not that far away, still a 10h drive tho :p

I've done a little research with my local pet shop, they do have a gramostola conception for sale at the moment, but can get their hands on avi. Avi., citharischius crawshayi and cyriopagopus paganus.
They might get their hands on a b. Emilia, bohemi or klaasi.

I do think international orders (uk) would be to risky with temperatures as they are now, even tough I've gotten a positive response on shipping at my own (the T's) risk.
Yeah, I would not do any international order at the moment. From the UK it normally takes 7 days to Norway. The prices of tarantulas in pet stores are too high IMO. You might want to look into to ordering one domestically. There is a FB group called "Vi med taranteller" that you might want to check out.

Sijaka

Arachnopeon
Th
Yeah, I would not do any international order at the moment. From the UK it normally takes 7 days to Norway. The prices of tarantulas in pet stores are too high IMO. You might want to look into to ordering one domestically. There is a FB group called "Vi med taranteller" that you might want to check out.
Thank you for the sugestion, I've put up an application to join :)
The prices are utterly mad at petshops yeah, the gramostola they have at the moment is priced 1300Nok (160usd), witch I think is a little pricey :p

I'll keep an eye out for more pages or places that might sell one.
How would you guys recomend packing for shipping?
I gues overnight is the way to go, but how to fysicaly pack the T?
Inside a container, fill up with styrofoam around it in another bigger box and include a heatpack?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Th

Thank you for the sugestion, I've put up an application to join :)
The prices are utterly mad at petshops yeah, the gramostola they have at the moment is priced 1300Nok (160usd), witch I think is a little pricey :p

I'll keep an eye out for more pages or places that might sell one.
How would you guys recomend packing for shipping?
I gues overnight is the way to go, but how to fysicaly pack the T?
Inside a container, fill up with styrofoam around it in another bigger box and include a heatpack?
Bare hyggelig! Most of the T trade in Norway between hobbyists goes through that FB group. The price for a female Grammostola should not be more than 500 NOK :). If you can´t find what you´re looking for, make a post and someone might have it. If a T is sent as "A-post" before 12:00, you should have it the day after (at least it works like that here, it might take two days to Tromsø if the packet needs to go through Postens sorteringssentral at Lørenskog first). T´s will be packed with wet paper towels inside of a suitable tube or box so it can´t move too much. Then it is placed inside of a larger box, and wrapped in old newspapers or styrofoam. If the temperatures is really low in Tromsø now, you might ask them to add a heatpack.

Last edited:

Sijaka

Arachnopeon
Thak
Bare hyggelig! Most of the T trade in Norway between hobbyists goes through that FB group. The price for a female Grammostola should not be more than 500 NOK :). If you can´t find what you´re looking for, make a post and someone might have it. If a T is sent as "A-post" before 12:00, you should have it the day after (at least it works like that here, it might take two days to Tromsø if the packet needs to go through Postens sorteringssentral at Lørenskog first). T´s will be packed with wet paper towels inside of a suitable tube or box so it can´t move too much. Then it is placed inside of a larger box, and wrapped in old newspapers or styrofoam. If the temperatures is really low in Tromsø now, you might ask them to add a heatpack.
Thank's, I've made a post on said group and were offered a Acanthoscurria geniculata (white knee) from someone located in tromsø, it was 5cm yesterday, but molded today. So the new size is a questiob for now.

What do you guys think of this species as a first one considering my limitations?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Thak

Thank's, I've made a post on said group and were offered a Acanthoscurria geniculata (white knee) from someone located in tromsø, it was 5cm yesterday, but molded today. So the new size is a questiob for now.

What do you guys think of this species as a first one considering my limitations?
A.geniculata is generally considered a "safe choice" for a first tarantula. It´s good looking, it´s not overly defensive and it´s quite easy to take care of. They have a great feeding response and a nice growth rate and the only setback IMO is their urticating hairs :eek:. Moreover, it´s a tropical species so you need to keep the substrate slightly moist and its water dish filled. The substrate part will not be an issue, you can remoisten it after spending five weeks at sea, but your father still needs to fill the water dish while you´re away. As for it being 5 cm, are we speaking body size like we often do in Norway and Europe, or leg span as in the US? It makes a difference as to how often it should be fed.

By the way, do you work at an oil platform since you have to be away at sea for five weeks in a row?

Sijaka

Arachnopeon
A.geniculata is generally considered a "safe choice" for a first tarantula. It´s good looking, it´s not overly defensive and it´s quite easy to take care of. They have a great feeding response and a nice growth rate and the only setback IMO is their urticating hairs :eek:. Moreover, it´s a tropical species so you need to keep the substrate slightly moist and its water dish filled. The substrate part will not be an issue, you can remoisten it after spending five weeks at sea, but your father still needs to fill the water dish while you´re away. As for it being 5 cm, are we speaking body size like we often do in Norway and Europe, or leg span as in the US? It makes a difference as to how often it should be fed.

By the way, do you work at an oil platform since you have to be away at sea for five weeks in a row?
I do belive it's 5cm leg span, but I'm npt sure. The current owner will update me in a day or so with the new size.
The reason i belive it's leg span is because it barely can squeeze itself into a filmcontainer used for camera films.

What size should the terarium be for this species?
I've moved away from the plan using my aquarium as a terarium, instead I'll make my own terarium from glass obtained from old windows. (I've made several aquariums my self so a terariums should only be easier to construct.

I work as a ships mechanical engineer on a stern trawler named Holmøy, I used to work on a seismic survey vesel earlyer (ships that locates oil & gas underneath the ocean floor), but to my big suprise the salary in the fishing fleet is aprox. 50% higher than in the oil buisnis so I changed employer rather quickly. Looking back on my decision with the oil market as it's now I do not regret it :p