First T on the way :D

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I have a question regarding worms, mine are always in oatmeal which also has some reptical (calcium) and reptivitamin powder mixed in which they eat along with veggies and fruits i give them, would they cause any harm to my T having ingested the reptivitamins and calcium? if so ill buy a separate batch of worms until my Beardie eats all the old ones and i can clean out the tank and add new oats and such WITHOUT the cal and vit powders. :)
I feel like it wouldn't be TOO much of an issue but at the same time I honestly have no idea. I've always just kept my worms on oats alone while also feeding on vegetables and fruits like you said. I'd definitely wait until you get an answer from someone who's done more research or has experience with that sort of thing but I don't think it would be that big of a problem.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Great job on the research!
Only thing I wanted to add is:
Keep your fingers and hands out of the enclosure.
Seriously...get long tongs or forceps. Anything that moves, fingers, water, superworms, is food. And it remains food until it is certain it is not, and thoroughly checked if it REALLY isn't food with fangs. :D

I just cut the heads off the supers altogether with scissors, those wriggle too much for me to crush their heads honestly.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I completely disagree. An exo terra is not an appropriate enclosure for a terrestrial. That's too much vertical space, period.
At first glace, I agree. But look at the numbers. It's a 3.5" spider in an 11" enclosure - however, it's got 3.5" of substrate. That leaves 7.5" of vertical space, which is just a hair over the 2x dls that we always recommend. I agree that it's too much, but not necessarily so bad that it must be changed. Now, if there was rocks and other decorations in there that could serve as a sharp point on a fall, then it'd be a big no-no.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm going with the eyeball test, not numbers...in this case, numbers don't tell the whole story....there's too much vertical space and not enough sub...exo terras are terrible enclosures for terrestrials. JMO

TRection

Arachnoknight
Great job on the research!
Only thing I wanted to add is:
Keep your fingers and hands out of the enclosure.
Seriously...get long tongs or forceps. Anything that moves, fingers, water, superworms, is food. And it remains food until it is certain it is not, and thoroughly checked if it REALLY isn't food with fangs. :D

I just cut the heads off the supers altogether with scissors, those wriggle too much for me to crush their heads honestly.
Already covered, picked up some 12" tongs and a long thin paintbrush the other day :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I completely disagree. An exo terra is not an appropriate enclosure for a terrestrial. That's too much vertical space, period.
I'm with you, 100%

When people, finally, would start to use for terrestrial NW T's (not die hard burrowers I mean) enclosure that offers large/widht but not so much height -- aside for the height needed for add 5/6 inches of substrate -- that day I will celebrate :-s

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm going with the eyeball test, not numbers...in this case, numbers don't tell the whole story....there's too much vertical space and not enough sub...exo terras are terrible enclosures for terrestrials. JMO
Op could add more substrate sloping up towards the back to take off most of the height, no?

TRection

Arachnoknight
At first glace, I agree. But look at the numbers. It's a 3.5" spider in an 11" enclosure - however, it's got 3.5" of substrate. That leaves 7.5" of vertical space, which is just a hair over the 2x dls that we always recommend. I agree that it's too much, but not necessarily so bad that it must be changed. Now, if there was rocks and other decorations in there that could serve as a sharp point on a fall, then it'd be a big no-no.
This was my initial fear with this tank, i also thought it might be too high, it isnt an exo terra however (cheaper knock off brand), they where both side by side in the reptile store and as ColdBlood staid about height, the exo terra was about 4-5 inches taller than this one. There MIGHT be a way i can fix this issue or at least help it, the front grates with the holes in are the only thing stopping me from adding more sub, if i were to cover them up with black tape and in turn dill more holes on the lid, i would be able to add a good 2 extra inches of sub making the height from the sub to lid only about 4-5 inches but would eliminate the cross venting.

Last edited:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I love genics great choice! very fiesty spiders but as long as you don't place any fingers anywahere near it shouldn't be too hard to deal with even for a beginner and they are freakin awesome eaters you will be happy with your choice. In regards to the enclosure you can modify the exo terra using a piece of plexi glass to hold deeper soil if you are concerned it is too tall I believe there is info on this somewhere on the boards.

cold blood

Staff member
This was my initial fear with this tank, i also thought it might be too high, it isnt an exo terra however (cheaper knock off brand), they where both side by side in the reptile store and as ColdBlood staid about height, the exo terra was about 4-5 inches taller than this one. There MIGHT be a way i can fix this issue or at least help it, the front grates with the holes in are the only thing stopping me from adding more sub, if i were to cover them up with black tape and in turn dill more holes on the lid, i would be able to add a good 2 extra inches of sub making the height from the sub to lid only about 4-5 inches but would eliminate the cross venting.
The brand matters not...its the style...front opening doors.

Now it can be used, it just needs to be modified. Replace the top with a drilled acrylic, but only ventilate the front half...then lay the enclosure on its back, so that the doors are on the top...now with the acrylic only ventilated on top, you can now fill it halfway or more with substrate and have a proper top opening enclosure for your genic (which you're gonna love btw).

TRection

Arachnoknight
The brand matters not...its the style...front opening doors.

Now it can be used, it just needs to be modified. Replace the top with a drilled acrylic, but only ventilate the front half...then lay the enclosure on its back, so that the doors are on the top...now with the acrylic only ventilated on top, you can now fill it halfway or more with substrate and have a proper top opening enclosure for your genic (which you're gonna love btw).
It won't effect the fall risk for the front half of the enclosure.
The front doors dont have to be used at all honestly, they close with just about a hairs thickness of a gap so nothings coming out, if you look at the pictures the top of the enclosure also opens and i have already added plexie glass to that with only half way drilled holes, if i block off the holes in the front then i can raise the whole substrate level by another 2" leaving only about 4.5" of height from the lid, while also keeping it upright:) HOWEVER, i do see your point and doing it your way would have been easier had i not already modified the lid on mine.

Last edited:

TRection

Arachnoknight
I have also been told that this is a very fast growing T and ill need to buy a new tank relatively fast anyways, what would you recommend for my next tank? i do want something that looks nice so plastic bins are not what im looking for, though i know they make great enclosures im looking for something better for display.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I have also been told that this is a very fast growing T and ill need to buy a new tank relatively fast anyways, what would you recommend for my next tank? i do want something that looks nice so plastic bins are not what im looking for, though i know they make great enclosures im looking for something better for display.
If you're willing to put your diy mind to work, get a small aquarium and build an acrylic lid for it. I just built two for my P regalis breeding pair. Wasn't too hard I just recommend going the easy way and having them cut the plastic at the store

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For juveniles, I like the small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5"). When your juvie outgrows that, there are larger versions of the Breeding Box that still have the low profile that is desirable in a terrestrial setup.

TRection

Arachnoknight
For juveniles, I like the small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5"). When your juvie outgrows that, there are larger versions of the Breeding Box that still have the low profile that is desirable in a terrestrial setup.
I saw those as well i was thinking about them too, i like the small feeding opening they have on the sides but at the same time i might want something with a cleaner look to it, not that theirs anything wrong with them :)

TRection

Arachnoknight
Ok so, i spent the lasted couple days (mainly due to drying time) fixing up the tank, i have sealed off the front wholes of the tank with animal safe aquarium silicone so nothing can spill out anymore and i could raise the sub level, i got a good 2.5" more sub in there making the height from sub to lid 4.6" (measured it to make sure) and the hide is now only about 2" from the lid (pushed it down about half way into the sub). I also got rid of most of the moss i had in there, but i kept a little bit in one of the corners and ontop of the hide cuz i like the way it looks. i hope this makes things a little better, please let me know! :)