First T Molt!

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
And it wasn't even the first T I bought lol. My C. cyaneopubescens is molting as I type this. It is truly an awesome experience. I think it's amazing that I get to watch my first molt. I can't get pictures because of where it is. Funny thing is, my emilia is premolt too:eek:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congrats Joe, It's always cool to find one in the midst of a molt. :D

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have yet to see an actual molt - I always see it after the fact. I've watched videos of them, it is so amazing! Congrats on the new birthday suits!

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I wonder how rare it is for new owners like myself to get a chance to watch the first molt?

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, the bright red around the fangs is completely normal after a spider molts. They will go back to normal after a while. The larger the individual is, the longer the process of the new exoskeleton hardening up will take. Generally the idea is to wait to feed the spider till the fangs are completely black again before attempting to feed them after a molt. Otherwise, if the spider's fangs are still to soft it could break one trying to kill they prey.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Yes, the bright red around the fangs is completely normal after a spider molts. They will go back to normal after a while. The larger the individual is, the longer the process of the new exoskeleton hardening up will take. Generally the idea is to wait to feed the spider till the fangs are completely black again before attempting to feed them after a molt. Otherwise, if the spider's fangs are still to soft it could break one trying to kill they prey.
Whew! Thank you very much.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the molt, my man ... I share your excitement! Check out my thread entitled "the eeriest thing I've seen in a long time" ... or something to that effect - it's also about my GBB molt ...

Last edited:

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I am so jealous. I missed all three of my slings molting. My two PZB (E. campestratus) slings molted and then my G. pulchripes all molted this week. It's awesome that you got to watch. :D

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
It's been 4 days since he molted. He is back out on his web like normal. Is it safe to feed now or should I give it a few more days?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is he? The larger they are, the longer the wait. My smithi didn't eat for nearly 2 weeks after molt, and it is less than 2". Don't worry about it starving, as they can apparently go for months without eating.

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
Congratulations! Hope your Ts have many more successful molts. I'd love to see pictures :D