First T Grammostola Pulchripes

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
First off Welcome to the hobby! Great choice for a first T! I got my first pulchripes at a convention last year and she's been great. From personal experience I can tell you b smithi and a chalcodes are great next T choices. The a chalcodes tends to be really cheap, with overnight shipping I only paid 95$ for my girl. She's absolutely adorable although mine likes to attempt to climb out when I open the lid for feeding. Younger smithis can be really skittish but will calm a bit as adults. My first T was a juvi smithi but she passed away from dks. I recommend b albopilosum because they tend to be a bit cheaper as far as brachys go and don't really kick hairs unlike the smithi. Here's a look at my big girl who I named Aurora 20170103_090802.jpg

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Alright, thank you. Noted.

Also if you hade to name other fast aboreal new worlds, what would come to mind?
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the Psalmopoeus irminia is a very fast arboreal. Definitely not a beginner species, but extremely beautiful to have in your collection. One of the very few New Worlds I've found that don't have urticating hairs, so their venom is considered more potent than most New Worlds, so that is something to look out for.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hello guys. This is my first post on here so I want to introduce myself. My name is Cheo, I'm 20 years old, and today is officially my first day in the hobby.
Hello Cheo, welcome and Happy New Year!

I started doing some basic reading and preperations, and as one thing led to another I pulled the trigger. I got my first T today. I went with Grammostola Pulchripes. My little sling is probably about an inch long.
Really great choice and you are going to love this species... I promise!

I am absolutely eager to learn and soak up as much information as possible. In about 8 weeks the Hamburg reptile show returns to my area and I'd love to pick up some new Ts among other things.
Eight weeks is plenty of time to find out what you need to know about the other species you are interested in. For the most part, with the exception of the Avicularia, they all have the same basic care as your G.pulchripes. Depending on whether you get a spiderling versus a juvenile or larger, then the care might be a bit different.

I would love to add Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens, Eupalaestrus Campestratus, Aphonopelma Chalcodes, Brachyphelma Smithi, Avicularia Avicularia, and Cyclosternum Fasciatum
I have all of these species with the exception of the C.fasciatum or D.fasciatus. I'm not sure which is the most recent classification of that species, but you find it labelled under both names.
They are all great species with the same type of care overall, except for the Avicularia who needs a different environment, and you will be happy with any/all of them. The Chromatopelma are one of the faster growing on that list. The others are known to take their time, so you might want to seek out larger individuals.

Anyway, that's my basic little story. I can't wait to get to know you guys and really get my foot planted in this hobby.

If there are any other suggestions or recomendations for my T I would love to hear them.
My all time favourite... Grammostola pulchra. The most glorious tarantula ever and a must have addition for any collection.
Also, Brachypelma albopilosum because they are fast growing, great looking, and never turn down a meal. Another must have.
Euathlus sp. Red or Euathlus parvulus. Both awesome species that have become really popular over the last couple of years.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Good morning and welcome to the hobby! :)
You picked a good starter T for sure, it seems like we've had quite the influx of G pulchripes in the last few weeks so you'll have plenty of help with any questions you might have.
Your beginner T list is spot-on, and congrats in knowing that OW Ts come later ;)

I will second @VanessaS suggestion - definitely add a G pulchra to the list! I adore mine more than I have words for.
I'll also recommend Brachypelma boehmei - beautiful, docile (for the most part, they can have an attitude but it's more cute than anything, and they kick hairs if you look too hard in their direction) and a great eater!

Check out the gallery - I'm sure you will find plenty more Ts to add to your list :D

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Good afternoon guys.
First let me say, I appreciate everyones input. Someone mentioned I should add Acanthoscurria to my list. I'm not sure how it slipped through the cracks but A. Geniculata or A. Brocklehursti were supposed to be on that list. Not sure which of the two I like better so let's just throw them both on there.

When I started asking around about begginer Ts G. Pulchra eas right there with Pulchripes. A lot recommended them. I honestly went with the Pulchripes simply because of the adult look. I'm confident that Pulchra will not be far behind.

Now onto the faster stuff. You guys pointed out several good first abboreal species. Thank you for the heads up on Psalmopoeus Irminia. I will stay clear for now until I work with some other abboreals. Maybe that species will make a good stepping stone. The biggest issue I see people talking about when getting their first old worlds is not the intimidation, or the fear of a bite, but rather how lightning fast they can be.

I know no matter what I get, nothing will truly prepare me for a blindingly fast T that makes its move. I think a combination of speed and potent venom makes it very easy for a first time keeper to get overwhelmed and panic. Obviously this isn't true for everyone, but I'm also sure this sounds familiar to some.

Tomorrow I will be back at my local shop checking out the list of slings they carry. To be totally honest, I was browsing, say G. Pulchripes, and freaked out because it was exactly what I wanted. The only other Ts I know they had for sure as slings were the Avic, and a B. Smithi.

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
One thing to take note of though is varied temperments of Ts. I've seen people with "docile" obts and crazy smithis. Pulchripes can be moody as well like their cousin the g. rosea/porteri. I actually had to work around mine today and I lightly touched her back legs with a brush. She turned around and almost teleported to the front of her hide. I couldn't tell for sure if she was after my tongs or if I just happened to spook her. Just always be cautious as I know to be extra cautious with her now. Still love her though :happy:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Now onto the faster stuff. You guys pointed out several good first abboreal species. Thank you for the heads up on Psalmopoeus Irminia. I will stay clear for now until I work with some other abboreals.
A good stepping stone to an arboreal T is the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) - they've been referred to as "semi arboreals" - heavy webbers, they like to climb, and they're a bit quicker than a lot of terrestrials. Still like it dry though. I'd try one of these when you start itching for an Avic :)

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
One thing to take note of though is varied temperments of Ts. I've seen people with "docile" obts and crazy smithis. Pulchripes can be moody as well like their cousin the g. rosea/porteri. I actually had to work around mine today and I lightly touched her back legs with a brush. She turned around and almost teleported to the front of her hide. I couldn't tell for sure if she was after my tongs or if I just happened to spook her. Just always be cautious as I know to be extra cautious with her now. Still love her though :happy:
Ansolutely noted. My girlfriends mature G. Rosea can be pretty defensive. Luckily we don't want to handle, and we don't wanna mess with them more than we have to just for their sake.

Glad to know the C. Cyaneopubescens is a good stepping stone. Its also conviently one of the Ts on my list.

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
Ansolutely noted. My girlfriends mature G. Rosea can be pretty defensive. Luckily we don't want to handle, and we don't wanna mess with them more than we have to just for their sake.

Glad to know the C. Cyaneopubescens is a good stepping stone. Its also conviently one of the Ts on my list.
Not sure if it has been mentioned but an euathulus sp. Red is an amazing choice. They're a dwarf species and are incredibly docile. Although they are rare and rather expensive. Still dying to have one myself.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Welcome :) !
Great choices for beginner T and followers! Cyclosternum fasciatus goes by the name Davus pentaloris now, at least, here in the Netherlands.
A quick heads up about pet stores. Be careful when buying there, employees tend to give completely bad advice, the spiders are often overpriced, sexed wrongly, or in bad shape overall.
Ordering online is actually a better way to go, especially when using the classified section of this forum. Read reviews, and find a breeder that is reputable and doesn't mind
answering questions.
There are a lot of threads on here about petco, lps, and other petstore drama. But of course, the choice is ultimately yours ;)

+1 for getting an Avicularia species, a little bigger. They are not hard,but can be a little fragile as slings. This thread contains pretty much all you
need to know to keep them succesfully:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Psalmopoeus is very big step up from an Avicularia, although they are more hardy then Avicularia.
Gbb, (C.cyaneopubescens) would be a better choice imo. It is an awesome species, i love mine, and their colouration is beautiful, right from the sling to the adult. Fast growers, heavy webbers and great eaters. A.geniculata is another good choice, but don't put your fingers in their enclosures, they view anything moving=food. :D
All the others you mentioned are great. N.incei is another good choice as heavy webber. I don't know a lot about NW burrowers, except for the Ephebopus genus, but those are not beginner friendly, and rank after Psalmopoeus.

The search function on here doesn't work really well, but if you type your search in google and add arachnoboards to it, you will be directed to info on here.

Browse, snoop, enjoy! :)

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I know the pet store nightmares all too well. Its the same way in the snake trade. I don't think they did me too bad on price though. It was gonna be 20 online plus the cost of shipping bringing the total to 65 plus supplies. I got the sling for 40.

I'm going to check out the Avic thread now. I appreciate the link. I will most likely get a GBB before any of those more advanced species. I wanted one anyway, and now that I'm aware that it will be a good stepping stone, it only increases my confidence in that choice.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All Ts should have a water bowl. Misting is only semi-useful because you never really know when a T will drink, most of the time the water evaporates before the T even drinks. Of course with Avics, some won't drink from a bowl.

People recommend dry substrate because most people get their info from Avic care sheets that recommend a specific humidity percentage to keep the T at. The owner then mists their T and ends up killing it sooner not later generally.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
All Ts should have a water bowl. Misting is only semi-useful because you never really know when a T will drink, most of the time the water evaporates before the T even drinks. Of course with Avics, some won't drink from a bowl.

People recommend dry substrate because most people get their info from Avic care sheets that recommend a specific humidity percentage to keep the T at. The owner then mists their T and ends up killing it sooner not later generally.

I'm definitely in the water bowl camp. I've heard of people who keep without water bowls and it works for them but I'm just more comfortable giving my animals the chance to hydrate whenever they please, and not when it conviences me.

Edit-also read that Avic care thread. I'll be honest, while they are for sure more specific than the Pulchripes, these husbandry requirements are still pretty easy to meet. Not saying it will be my next T, but it is something I don't see myself having much trouble keeping.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know the pet store nightmares all too well. Its the same way in the snake trade. I don't think they did me too bad on price though. It was gonna be 20 online plus the cost of shipping bringing the total to 65 plus supplies. I got the sling for 40.

I'm going to check out the Avic thread now. I appreciate the link. I will most likely get a GBB before any of those more advanced species. I wanted one anyway, and now that I'm aware that it will be a good stepping stone, it only increases my confidence in that choice.
Just take your time with the stepping stones. If you rush on to get to OW, you'll miss some awesome species along the way. There are so so many beautiful and fun to keep NW tarantula. Some people just run right along them, thinking the ultimate 'goal' in keeping tarantula is the big bad venomous beautiful OW. After that, they assume they're done learning and experiencing all the things of this beautiful hobby. I think they're wrong. There is always something new or exciting to learn. New species being described, discovered. New insights on keeping and breeding. Species moving from one genus to another.
Okay, that last element isn't always fun :D, but i'm sure you get what i'm saying.
Which is why i like to encourage people to take a good look before moving to a more advanced species. This hobby, for me at least, isn't about straight lines to an endgoal. It is going here, discover something, experiencing it, and then go over there and do the same.
Sorry if i come across as a bit lyric, i get that way sometimes.:shy:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The biggest issue I see people talking about when getting their first old worlds is not the intimidation, or the fear of a bite, but rather how lightning fast they can be.
They are exceedingly fast. There is one genus in the NW that is widely regarded as the fastest T, those would be the Tapi's.

As for an OW bite, IMO, anyone that isn't concerned about being tagged from an OW T doesn't completely respect the animal, and shouldn't own them. When I first started looking through bite reports many years ago, sure everyone lived, but one common thought emerged "it was a lot more painful than I had imagined" This was not limited to the Poecilotheria genus, a genus that has sent grown men to the hospital for heart problems due to a bite.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm definitely in the water bowl camp. I've heard of people who keep without water bowls and it works for them but I'm just more comfortable giving my animals the chance to hydrate whenever they please, and not when it conviences me.

Edit-also read that Avic care thread. I'll be honest, while they are for sure more specific than the Pulchripes, these husbandry requirements are still pretty easy to meet. Not saying it will be my next T, but it is something I don't see myself having much trouble keeping.
If you have any questions with all the info I typed in the Avic care thread, just ask me. 32 oz deli cups make excellent containers for Avics that are 1" and above a bit.

When it comes to Avic slings if you want to provide TINY water bowls, you can search Amazon for tattoo ink wells. They have a variety of sizes, and cheap too.

Avics are like anything else in some ways, once you know what to do, they aren't hard at all. It's the people that don't do the proper research ahead of time that kill their Avics.

As for watering, you never do know. For example, I have an AF B. emilia with a large abdomen, she just finished drinking. You'd think by looking at her that she doesn't need hydration, but clearly she did.

cold blood

Staff member
Im going to start off with one of your comments....regarding specifics in humidity....literally throw out everything you think you learmed about this subject with regards to ts. This misnomer is probably the leading cause of beginner problems. Its not relatable to reptiles. Anyone telling you ts require some number specific humidity should be immidiately questioned. Care sheets should be flat out ignored.

Theres no reason to measure humidity levels or even own the glorified paper weight we call a hygrometer. It will only cause trouble as you strive for specific numbers or worry when they drop. In 16 years and through many hundred ts, ive never measured humidity once.

Some ts require more moisture, but its really as easy as keeping the sub, or part of the substrate damp. Sprinkling or even pouring water onto the sub is the way to go. The biggest advice i can give a new owner is to keep things simple....so many beginner issues are nothing more than them over-complicating things.

Please wait on avics, its really crazy how many of them die in the hands of newbies who think theyre the exception. Like zepplin said, its not that theyre difficult, in fact for an experienced keeper they are a breeze...but for a beginner, they are just way too unforgiving to the little mistakes we often need to make in the learning process.

I applaud your approach, lack if a desire to handle and jump to old worlds...good decisions:)

You picked literally one of the very best beginner species available...bravo, pulchripes is a great species to learn from as theyre fairly active and exceptional eatets, generally only refusing food in the pre molt period.

Your gf however, bought a species i really try to discourage beginners from getting as a first. I speak from experience as i made the same mistake and it took be the better part of a decade before i learned what i would have learned from a chaco in 6 months.

Rose hairs are notoriously slow to do everything, with adults taking 4-6 years between molts and slings growing so slow its crazy....in fact their growth rates can only be described as "glacial", although i may be offending a glacier somewhere by saying that.

Along with that is their food requirement...which is about the lowest of any t....this causes them to be very commonly over fed, which leads to constant, seemingly random fasting periods....no brginner wants to get a t, feed it a few crickets then not see it eat again for 6-12 months or more...in fact, winter fasting is pretty common. Feed like one cricket every 10-14 days, thats it.

Just some things for her to keep her mind on and not worry about when it happens...theyre still cool ts, just a very frustrating t to learn from....and frankly, compared to other species, exceedingly boring....theres a reason theyre known as potatoes or pet rocks.

Welcome to the hobby, and glad you found AB.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Like you, I started with the G. pulchripes, awesome T. The C. cyaneopubescens is what my dealer recommended as a stepping stone into more intermediate Ts as well. She had a nice sub adult female, but I opted to go with slings as their coloration at that stage is quite beautiful. Its speed is definitely a notch above my G. pulchripes/pulchra though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
theyre really not, i have no idea why some people have so much trouble with them. :) the cage can be soaked or a desert and as long as theres lots of vent and a water dish, they dont care. slings dont have the best appetites but they get better after 1".

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I have heard of how annoying the G. Rosea can be. The slow growth and fasting while annoyance luckily are something we are used to. It's not uncommon for some of our other animals to go off of food especially in the winter months. I have 1 in particulary who hasnt eaten since the start of November.

That 10-14 day space of feeding the Rosea. Are you recommending that for both the sling and the adult? It's an adjustment I'm fine with telling her to make, but I just want to make sure it's one I'm comprehending correctly beforehand.

I'm not sure exactly what is next. Obviously I've shown interest in A. Avic but I have a lot of others I'm confident will come before it. The C. Cyaneopubescens seems like a decent step forward. It's probably between that, E. Campestratus, or A. Chalcodes in no particular order.

Whatever is next I have a good bit of time to decide and in the mean time, learn from this current G. Pulchripes. No need to rush to a second and third when I have a wonderful first right in front of me!