First T breeding = Fail

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Reclusa gave me a MM LP to try and pair with my LP, which I am pretty sure is female (recently molted in other owner's care, and he said female, ventral signs point to female, and comparing the two body shapes of equal sized Ts, also looks female).

She finally crept up to his container in shark tank. After a bit, I carefully removed his container and let him crawl down. He drummed. She seemed to take interest, moved towards him. Then she charged him, he jumped back. I don't think she tagged him, he was recovered and re-homed. If I could say a spider was shaken, he was!!! He sure got the heck out asap!

So, I suppose I'll let them try again. I guess he would know if the other spider was a female? I reviewed the few ventral pictures I took, and there is webbing in the way of the important bits in the photos. The naked eye assessment was better.

Marga

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Males can and will try to breed with immature males.

Also, many females will typically 'charge' the male at first. The male should be able to handle his own, recover, and begin courtship from that point forward.

Next time, I'd leave him in there a bit longer to see what happens, although I'd confirm you actually have a female first...

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Body structure is heavier on the "female", by a factor of two. This was the second attempt, and he got out FAST and ran. Reclusa said he had to hold his ground... he wasn't willing for another try. I'll try again tomorrow.

Marga

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ I have a question about the above post.

You say females will charge the male. Well I have a MM male P. platyomma which would drum his heart out to my female, and yet she would just charge him and try and eat him. I later loaned him out because Id rather him have a chance at spreading his seed rather than my girl eat him.

So what your saying is I should have left him in longer? because she seemed to me to be pretty set on eating him.

I am no pro breeder which is why I ask.

also I tried pairing said male with my female 3 times before I gave up and loaned him out.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When i bred my lps the female was very vicous and i could not get them to copulate! She just wanted to eat him. i tried to pair them for weeks and i eventually left him in with her for a week in a 55 gallon and never say any signs of insertions! and i ended up with 3800 babys! shipped out!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Just gave it another try, and he tried to get near her, she charged and he scattered away. He won't go back down in her tank again. Too late for another try today. I'll let them both calm down and try again tomorrow. She's in a 10g, I don't have room for a larger tank at the moment.

Marga

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Just curious... Did ur male made some sperm web recently? I had similar experience but with my N. Chromatus and N. Coloratovillosus. The females charged towards their respective males as if its their food. The males were scared as hell and I wasnt able to have a successful mating for the next 2 weeks. Then, the males suddenly made some sperm webs and the next time I place them in the females' enclosures, the females still charged but the males were already brave enough to face the rampaging females. The rest is history. Successful mating!!!.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Reclusa gave me the male, said he was ready. I trust him. The male, Mr Bones, has been trying to chew his way out of the container! He's drumming and ready, but scared of this gal!

Marga