First T: B. smithi, G. rosea, or GBB?

Meecht

Arachnosquire
I've wanted a T for a long time now, but just never got around to it. I've spent the last few days reading up on good starter T's, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

Most lists of starter T's that I've read (including on this forum) have listed B. smithi, G. rosea, and GBB as being good starters, but it's hard to decide which would be right for me.

I'm leaning towards the B. smithi because I really like the color contrast and the "fame" associated with it since it's used in a lot of movies/shows. I could use that as a way to convince people of the docile nature and (hopefully) help them get over their fear.

I also really like the color of the GBB, too, as well as their docile reputation, but I'm assuming that B. smithi and G. rosea are generally more so?

G. rosea has probably had the loudest voice as a beginner T in the various places I've read, with some people saying you practically have to try to kill it for it to die. I know I can get a 2-3" one easily because the local pet store has had the same one for at least the past year. Through my recent research, I've begun to feel sorry for it because they use about 1" of pine shavings as substrate and a wooden log for a hide. I don't think I've ever even seen webbing in the enclosure. This would become a welcomed rescue pet.

What I'm mainly looking for something easy to care for and docile in nature, which I think basically describes all three of these. Could anybody enlighten me to maybe some more subtle differences that are usually overlooked?

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what you said you seem to already want a B. smithi and I think it would be a great starter T. The Gbb is very fast and probably would seem nervous compared to the b. smithi.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eenie, meenie, minie, mo... They are all great with similar requirements. GBBs are fast and tend to be more skittish than than the smithi which can tend to be a little more skittish than the rosea. But, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Heck, why limit yourself to one, just get one of each. {D

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
... Heck, why limit yourself to one, just get one of each. {D
+1
They all have their quirks, the smithi will kick urticating hairs, the GBB is quite nervous and fast, not really one to be handled, the rosea is prone to wild mood swings and drastic periods of fasting. All are easy to care for, great visual specimen as they all tend to be out in the open.
I would like to throw in my vote for Grammostola pulchra. Beautiful in its simplicity of color, quite docile, rarely kicks if ever, easy to care for, and just plain stunning.

toast4nat

Arachnosquire
Yeah, why not get multiple? I think rescuing the G. rosea would be such a nice thing to do and they're so cheap at pet shops (normally) that it wouldn't be much skin of your nose to get two (or three!)

Meecht

Arachnosquire
I would love to get all three, but I don't have the room, unfortunately.

I ran out to the pet shop a little bit ago to take a look again. I had forgotten that they now have 3 G.rosea, each with a body about 3" long. Unfortunately, they are kept in kritter keepers with about 1/4" of pine/aspen bedding :( , but they are only $20. I would have gotten one right then and there, but I would prefer a female due to their longevity and they weren't sure of the sexes of the T's. Is there a way to tell without inspecting a molt?

They also had some slings labeled as B. smithi about the size of a silver dollar, but once again they were unsexed and I think the molts were too small to correctly ID with the naked eye. Even if they were big enough, the molts looked a bit contorted which would have made IDing more difficult.

toast4nat

Arachnosquire
The only way to be sure of the sex is see if its molt has spermathecae and I doubt the LPS kept any of the molts lying around. The other way is to ventrally sex it, which isn't a perfect science. If you go to the sexing forum you can see various examples of ventral sexing, that might help you be able to determine whether the G. rosea is female or not. But it would require you to be able to see the underside of the T.

Robin Da Hood

Arachnopeon
Great all I needed to get was another moody female in my life, just got rid of one after five years of legal wrangling. Well, just picked up my G. rosea this Saturday, and H/she has started to explore the enclosure finally.

Will try to get some good ventral pics soon. Did add a little more substrate to the enclosure this morning and while trying to get h/she out it reared up, but was also on a small incline, as I was trying to bring my capture bowl over it. So hoping that was a fluke instead of some defensive posteuring. We will see what happens. Good luck with whatever T you choose though and keep us up to date. :)

Last edited:

Hellion299

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rosie!!!

The Smithi will take a LONG TIMEEEEEEEEEEE (like years) gain some size and show nice coloring.....Personally I would go with the Rosie! Lol. I have one that I have had now for about 2 years. She is more of a pet rock, but she doesn't kick hair like my B smithi does...

Last edited:

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a first T, a Rosie would be the least expensive if that is a consideration.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. rosea = Mood swings, fasting periods, pet rock, slow grower
C. cyaneopubescens (GBB) = Great coloration as adults, great color changes through each molt till adult, great webber, awesome eating habits*, Grows pretty quick and stays out most of the time.
B. Smithi = Great coloration, hair kicker, slow grower and stays out in the open.

*GBB will attack with fierceness and do flips to catch prey lol.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would like to throw in my vote for Grammostola pulchra. Beautiful in its simplicity of color, quite docile, rarely kicks if ever, easy to care for, and just plain stunning.
+1 These are some of the most butiful and most docile Ts ever. I have heared people call them the puppy dogs of the T world. Your LPS probably wont have any, but look in the clasifields and see if you find anything.

I would not suggest a GBB if you want something docile. Out of the three, G. rosea would probably be more tollerant, but they have mood swings and dont realy do anything.

p.s. Your new to the forum and are already using scientific names!!! :clap:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd have to say +1 on the G. pulchra as well. I adore mine. Keep in mind that not all Ts read the Bible on T behavior. One of my G. roseas is very entertaining and is in no way a pet rock. The other one fits the pet rock mold....
When I first got my sub-adult G. pulchra, it immediately went underground where it stayed for five months. I'm assuming it 'wintered' there, because it has been out and about and a right busy body since mid March.

A rosea would be the least expensive, unless you catch a good deal on one of the others.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
The Smithi will take a LONG TIMEEEEEEEEEEE (like years) gain some size and show nice coloring.....
Really? My first Ts are smithi and geniculata. I bought them as slings. after about 6 months, my smithi is about 3 inches before it molted this month. It had already a vivid red coloration. Maybe the climate here in our country also contributed to its not-so-slow growth or the feeding. I wanted to post some pics but i can't seem to upload it here. it always shows upload error. i may have exceeded the max pic attachments. :eek:

Id go with smithi, they are hardy, docile and the color is nice... :worship: although i myself is planning on buying a gbb (got myself a smithi and rosea already). {D

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
Go for the C. cyaneopubescens (gbb).
The crazy colouration is a matter of taste and I love it but the main selling points for this species are the spectacular feeding responses and the WEBBING.
These guys make awesome thick web constructions with several entrances akin to those made by arboreals.
This could have been a bad thing if they were shy but they tend not te be.
A number of brachy's are very nice to look at (B. boehmei after a molt :drool:) though and B. smithi is nothing to sneeze at.
G. rosea has not been able to prove it's 'beginner T' reputation to me as it behaved in a fashion I would expect from a P. murinus nor did it prove it's hardiness as it was the only tarantula I have owned to inexplicably expire.
Go with the gbb and a nice Brachypelma I say!

Last edited:

Meecht

Arachnosquire
+1 These are some of the most butiful and most docile Ts ever. I have heared people call them the puppy dogs of the T world. Your LPS probably wont have any, but look in the clasifields and see if you find anything.

I would not suggest a GBB if you want something docile. Out of the three, G. rosea would probably be more tollerant, but they have mood swings and dont realy do anything.

p.s. Your new to the forum and are already using scientific names!!! :clap:
I figured I might get crucified if I didn't use scientific names :) . I've read forums for several different animals and the common trend I've noticed is that enthusiasts prefer to go by Latin names :cool:

I could probably get the LPS to "order" me most any species of T, but I'm pretty sure they get those special orders from the same reptile show I've started to frequent. It would probably be cheaper for me to contact one of those vendors and see if they have a specific T in stock. They just about double the price of any critters they buy when reselling them, but I can understand that when you're trying to run a business.

Exactly how "slow" is slow for raising a B. smithi to full-grown? The specimens they have at the LPS (for $60, btw) went from quarter-sized to about silver-dollar sized in just a couple months, but babies of most animals grow fast until adolescence.

It looks like the debate for "good newbie tarantula" rages on!

Meecht

Arachnosquire
After much internal debate and self-scolding that "I WANT THEM ALL" side of me, I've decided to get a G. pulchra.

Now to go about obtaining one :)