First T, and nematodes?

Trexrawr

Arachnopeon
Im new here, as I just bought my very first T, a female B. Verdezi on the 18th, so 2 days ago. I know i probly just have a case of the new owner jitters, but the appearance of little white flees or mites in the waterbowl, and a what looks like a piece of old roach with the white little bugs on them worry me. They wiggle and flip, but are tiny. are they the dreaded nematodes? or is the only way to be sure to get the spider put out and check her mouth ? i havent seen any white mites on her, but id rather not stress her if there is no reason to.

bowl.jpg glass.jpg

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Those are most likely springtails and are beneficial. They eat the leftovers as well as mold/fungus.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I agree. Nematodes are longer.. Like microscopic worms. These have legs and look like springtails. I would also discard the possibility of mites since these are bigger. Keep them :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Springtails, they're harmless to your T and are actually helpful as they're detritivores (they eat mould/leftovers etc.) and help prevent pests from establishing themselves in enclosures.

I randomly ended up with them in one of my enclosures, I waited for some to cluster in the water dish, scooped them up in a vial and dumped them into another enclosure, rinse and repeat until all of my enclosures that weren't bone dry had a population of them.

Trexrawr

Arachnopeon
thx so much for all of your replies ! very relieved that its just springtails!