First T and I think I'm hooked!

CFleming

Arachnopeon
Got my first T yesterday. A cb 1.5" A. versicolor from Evan Stahl. I have always been afraid of spiders. I was browsing a snake forum and found a thread about tarantulas. I checked it out, saw some really cool looking T's, asked some questions, and did some research. They were starting to grow on me and I had a snake waiting to be shipped from Evan and saw he had a versicolor for sale so I added it to my order. I have him/her in a plastic container that previously held tortoise food with about 2" of eco earth half a piece of bambo and a couple of sprigs of leaves and a bottle cap watet dish. When I unpacked it I actually let it crawl onto my hand! This was a very cool experience. Nothing like I had expected.

It has already started webbing its home. So I decided to try feeding it. I gave it half a meal worm and it snatched it out of the tongs before I even knew what had happened. This little versicolor has totally brought me over to the T world. I cant wait to get two or three more. I know a GBB is going to be added soon and I would love an A. purpea. As well as a few more Avic sps. There are just so many to choose from. I thought snakes were bad. Anyway I just had to share with some people that appreciate it. I can now saw that I am no longer an arachnapobe but now an arachnaddict. lol Dont have internet at home at the moment, just moved and havent had it turned on yet, so no pics yet. But soon very soon.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby!:)
Yeah, Ts are like potato chips... can't have just one.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
my friend, let me personally welcome you to the world of Tarantulas :) true... you really cant have just one haha, like it says in my signature :D.
i want an A versicolor really bad...but i hear they are very hard to maintain as slings...everyone i know who tries to raise em from slings have had them die :s
ventilation ventilation ventilation...keep that world engraved in your mind :)
anyway, get a B smithi! they are one of the hobby's icons! mine is a sling :p

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Having only one T really doesn't last long. I had my first T (G. Rosea) for about 3-6 month before I got my second (B. Smithi) sling on March 3rd. Now I have an order shipping out on Monday from Ken The Bug Guy (A. avic 2.5" and a .75" T. Ockerti) Who knows whats next.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm new too! Mine are waiting to be shipped as soon as it's warm enough!

Congrats!

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the Hobby.

I recently come into the hobby as well, i have 1 avic avic. Now i just want more and more. I have 2 T slings in the mail as we speak. SUPER EXCITED!

@ Brandon - There is such thing as only having 1 T. When you first join the hobby, but then you buy another one.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome to the addiction! One just isn't enough as you'll soon find out...lol. Once you see how many variety of Ts are out there you're next problem will be which one to get next..lol. Just make sure to do your homework. Some are easier to keep than others. I did almost a year of research before I bought my first T. A happy T is one that has an owner that knows how to care for it. You said you got a Versicolor. Are you familiar with the temp and humidy requirements? They have a little stricter temp and humidity needs than terrestrial (ground dwellers). Temp should be 75-85 and 70-80ish humidity. Although you also said you had snakes so you're prpbably pretty good with temp and humidity needs. Did you name it yet?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Avics are awesome! The A.versicolor is one of the best looking slings of the genus. Keep it well ventilated, misted and fed regularly and make sure you watch out for mold and such. :clap:

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

i just wanted to say you're really pretty :eek:

anyway congrats again :)
what is this, the Love Connection? lol :barf:

Blaze

Arachnopeon
Avics are awesome! The A.versicolor is one of the best looking slings of the genus. Keep it well ventilated, misted and fed regularly and make sure you watch out for mold and such. :clap:

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

lol rob :p im engaged anyway, just thought i'd throw the fact out here :clap:

CFleming

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone.

I drilled ventalation holes just above the substrate line, another set about two or three inches from the top of the container, and in the lid as well. I knew ventalation was very important with this species. Also there is very good air movement in my snake/T room. I keep humidity up by using a syringe and wetting lower layer of substrate. I also lightly mist one side of the jar once a day. I did this for about a week before I actualy recieved the T. And it keep humidity between 60 and 80 percent. Temp stays in the mid 70's to mid 80's. Anyone see anything I should tweak?

Blaze

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone.

I drilled ventalation holes just above the substrate line, another set about two or three inches from the top of the container, and in the lid as well. I knew ventalation was very important with this species. Also there is very good air movement in my snake/T room. I keep humidity up by using a syringe and wetting lower layer of substrate. I also lightly mist one side of the jar once a day. I did this for about a week before I actualy recieved the T. And it keep humidity between 60 and 80 percent. Temp stays in the mid 70's to mid 80's. Anyone see anything I should tweak?
you seem to have it on lock brother

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon

anyway congrats again :)

Rob1985 said:
Awww thanks Brandon3000 :)

LOL Rob1985 :D{D
Invertsonals Connection? :p
Hey I see a new movie on the horizon
"Must love Tarantulas" "Walking with Tarantulas" :D

Welcome to the hobby again, as you can tell were just not right {D{D

CFleming

Arachnopeon
My fiance got to pick the name. She named it Charlotte after the spider in the book Charlotte's Web. Hope it turns out to be female or it may develope a complex. lol She still has not warmed up to T's yet. But I think she is starting to come around. She didnt like the snakes at first, but now they dont bother her anymore. Just need to give her a little time.

Oh and did I mention this little guy is quick! In my research I read they were fast so I was some what prepared. But was suprised at how quick it really was. Cant imagine a Pokie right now.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think its best to assume everyone on the internet is a guy over the age of 21. You are way less likely to be disappointed later on and/or end up on Dateline.

evansnakes

Arachnopeon
Mr. Fleming, thanks so much for the kind words on the net. I knew that little versicolor would win you over. E

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
welcome to the hobby and enjoy your T's.. i know you would not be contented with one.. :D