First succesful rehouse of a larger t!

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I got a Brachypelma baumgarteni yesterday at an expo and it was in an 8 oz deli cup. He was kind of bolty so I don't want to deal with that in an enclosure that small so I rehoused him into a larger steralite enclosure with 12 holes drilled in the side and the same in the top. I decided to put him in a bit larger one so I don't have to do it every time he molts.

My procedure was to just put the deli cup into the new enclosure and let him come out on his own. Worked like a charm. I usually do the same when rehousing slings out of pill jars too. I figure it is less stressful to the spider. Anyone see any problems to this method? And what to do when the t won't come out on it's own?

Here he is in the new digs! So happy that the rehouse was uneventful as this was my first time with a non sling. 20191020_201618.jpg

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
No, there is nothing wrong with it and I do it all the time. Even the most tolerant tarantula can freak out a bit during a rehouse and there is nothing wrong with taking steps to avoid it. I either put the old enclosure into the new, or catch them in a vial/catch cup and leave it in the new enclosure and move on to the next.
They usually wander out within a few hours. Some take closer to a day. Only one, my male Avicularia avicularia M6 (metallica), refused to come out of the lid of his old enclosure after about a week. Even if I was able to lure him out with food - he just snatched it up and ran back inside before I could remove it. I had to coax him out in the end.
Looks good, by the way, and it is a good size. Although I would put a lot more holes in their enclosures. My baumgarteni female is a bit more reactive than normal for a Brachypelma. She doesn't kick hair, but she gives this sort of half threat posture and bobs up and down. She's pretty skittish too. I've had her since she was a tiny spiderling and she is about 2.5" now.