First spiders (in ages!) P Audax

Spiderbakesale

Arachnopeon
I recently tried convincing my housemates to let me get a tarantula, however they were not amused and threatened to set the poor thing on fire if I so much as brought it in the house.

I don't have a chance of swaying then either way so I let it die. Instead I went in search of jumping spiders and I was not disappointed!

I ordered two from a seller on a Facebook group and I'm so happy. The smaller one already ate her first cricket (I've had the two for just under 8 hours now) and I've handled both of them briefly.

They're just juveniles so they're living in betta cups from walmart for right now.

I plan on building them a 28"x8"x6" enclosure out of acrylic, with a divider in the middle to keep them from hurting each other but so they can still interact a bit. It will fit perfectly on my desktop, allowing me to watch them any time I'm on my computer! And it also gets a bit of sun in the afternoon so they can enjoy the warmth.

But q? Is 14"x8"x6" a good size for these active spiders? Before I go building I want to make sure it will be good for them! 20170106_175833.jpg 20170106_144345.jpg

piggy145

Arachnopeon
Congrats, just remember not destroy their nest when you open the enclosure.

Spiderbakesale

Arachnopeon
A good reminder! I'm trying to figure out how to do that, trying to give them different places to build other than the corners. Any tips?

piggy145

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I recently purchased a P. Audax too. It hasn't eaten since I've gotten it and that was two weeks ago. Working on that to. They're curious little critters

Spiderbakesale

Arachnopeon
I may have figured out the building in corners thing temporarily

I put them in upright containers that open from the side, so that should work out.

I hope yours eats soon! The other girl showed no interest in the cricket so I took it out and I'll try again today after she's settled a bit.

These are the little boxes! They're riddled with holes on all sides but the front for ventilation, but these were at Walmart in the index card section (they're filing boxes haha). Works great for how tiny they still are! And as a temporary house while I build their real deal.

20170106_233234.jpg

Spiderbakesale

Arachnopeon
Her second cricket! It was the biggest one of the bunch but also the last one available unless I drove to town. Apparently the size didn't deter her at all but she will have to wait till Tuesday to be offered another (very small) cricket.

Could I get meal worms or are they a bit too small yet? I just don't want to give them ONLY crickets, but there isn't a whole lot of variety available in winter.

The other girl has eaten two small crickets in two days, she seems to really enjoy the hunt. I love these guys they're so awesome to watch!

Thanks for listening/reading my ramblings :D
20170108_115904.jpg

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I recently tried convincing my housemates to let me get a tarantula, however they were not amused and threatened to set the poor thing on fire if I so much as brought it in the house.

I don't have a chance of swaying then either way so I let it die. Instead I went in search of jumping spiders and I was not disappointed!

I ordered two from a seller on a Facebook group and I'm so happy. The smaller one already ate her first cricket (I've had the two for just under 8 hours now) and I've handled both of them briefly.

They're just juveniles so they're living in betta cups from walmart for right now.

I plan on building them a 28"x8"x6" enclosure out of acrylic, with a divider in the middle to keep them from hurting each other but so they can still interact a bit. It will fit perfectly on my desktop, allowing me to watch them any time I'm on my computer! And it also gets a bit of sun in the afternoon so they can enjoy the warmth.

But q? Is 14"x8"x6" a good size for these active spiders? Before I go building I want to make sure it will be good for them! View attachment 228577 View attachment 228576
Your housemates threatened to set an animal on fire??!! I'd be locking my bedroom door to keep out the sociopaths.

Spiderbakesale

Arachnopeon
Some people are stupid when it comes to spiders, snakes, and rodents. It's a weird flaw in the human brain, but I agree! Totally unnecessary and a bit crazy.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Some people are stupid when it comes to spiders, snakes, and rodents. It's a weird flaw in the human brain, but I agree! Totally unnecessary and a bit crazy.
Some people who threaten animals--any animals are poised to move on to humans IMO.