First sling and juvie! :D

Raine

Arachnopeon
Well, I decided to do it! I got my very first sling and juvie Ts! I ended up going to the expo in 'sauga with Mack&Cass. They brought me a gorgeous 2" LP female, and I am already fascinated by her. I bought one of the $15 T enclosures for her there and set it up with a very pretty sparkling rock and the lid of a vitamin B12 bottle for a water dish along with coco brick substrate. I will be getting her a hide on Wednesday when I go to get my Ts their crickets from the local pet store.

When I went to check Tarantula Canada's booth I had planned to see if they had any larger Ts for sale. Like about an inch and a half to two inches. They didn't have anything I wanted and I saw they had only a couple B. auratum slings left. Since I originally wanted either a GBB, G. pulchra, G. pulchripes or B. auratum and they had none that were not slings. I know I'm careful and pay very close attention to the care of any creature I own. So after some deliberation I decided I would choose my first sling. I talked with the woman behind the booth about the four T slings I was considering. They were out of the pulchripes, so that option was out. I asked her advice on which of the three Ts she would personally recommend as a starter sling. I wanted to go the pulchra since I heard they were a bit less common in the industry. But she assured me that the GBB and pulchra were actually more easy to get and also they had many coming in. So she recommended the auratum, which they had only gotten a few of and which would be harder to get than the other two. So I chose a little B. auratum.

I had seen some of the other users on the site's Ts. But I don't think it could have prepared me for when she handed me the pill vial with the tiniest little T sling I could have ever imagined--or not. I can't believe how something so small could grow into an arachnid as big as the full grown B. auratum! When she handed me it I was suddenly horrified that I would drop the vial, lose the vial, somehow kill my teeny tiny sling through some horrible clumsy accident of my own doing. I didn't let go of the vial for the rest of the expo, keeping it tightly held in one hand. Every few minutes I couldn't help but look at it to see if the sling was still in there and moving!

So happy to say that the 2" LP and tiny auratum sling are safe and sound on a shelf sticking out of the wall that my cats can not get to. Every couple of hours I start to worry and go peer inside the vial and look into the new enclosure to make sure they are both okay. Then I go to my rosea tank to look in on Charlotte to make sure she's doing all right, too. Of course I'm a bit less worried about Char since I've had her a couple weeks and she's doing amazing. Hardly ever in her hide, eating and drinking great. I think it's the size of the sling and even the juvie that worry me. Mostly the sling. They're just so unbelievably tiny and fragile! I'm actually very nervous about opening up the vial to put in food for it. The juvie I am very excited to see take out an adult cricket. The sling I'm more worried a little pinhead cricket will take out it! I may just pre-kill the cricket for it until it has a half inch or so to it.

Anyhow, can you share experiences on your first slings? Give a newbie some pointers, share a bit of know how on feeding and watering something so tiny? Were you also nervous about how small they were/are? Did you find yourself worried you would accidentally hurt them, or checking up on them every couple to few hours? I'd love to hear your stories and tips! :)

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the world of t's my friend,, welcome

Be very careful it is very known to be very great habit {D

jt39565

Arachnoknight
My first sling died, the second one is about 2", a G. pulchra, just molted and is still hiding from the world.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man these fonts you are using are killing me. lol

My first slings were two H. lividums. I just feed them pinheads that are their size or smaller and mist the substrate every few days.

Raine

Arachnopeon
Oh man these fonts you are using are killing me. lol
lol* Okay, okay, I'll try and behave. {D

It died? :eek: What kind was it and do you know what happened? Sorry to hear it did though. Glad your G. pulchra is doing better!

Do slings die easily and often? I don't think I'd handle mine dying on me very well. I'd feel horrible and like I'd done something wrong even if I hadn't! :(

EDIT: I will definitely be getting some pictures up tomorrow! How do you get a good shot of a really tiny sling though? I guess I could take the lid off for a brief moment, or try to get a shot from the side...the LP will be super easy to get nice shots of her and her new home. Same with my rosea.

ladizzlee

Arachnopeon
lol* Okay, okay, I'll try and behave. {D

It died? :eek: What kind was it and do you know what happened? Sorry to hear it did though. Glad your G. pulchra is doing better!

Do slings die easily and often? I don't think I'd handle mine dying on me very well. I'd feel horrible and like I'd done something wrong even if I hadn't! :(
i just had a p. irminia die on me, i was so confused.
my boss gave it to me as a gift and a couple days later it was deadd. it looked like its butt was squished. o_O

Raine

Arachnopeon
It just up and died? No clue as to why? :(

It got squished? Did it maybe get dropped or hurt by something in the vial? I have no real clue about slings beyond how to feed and water them and how to determine when they are big enough for the next size up enclosure. u.u; Mine is just so little and I adore it. I really would hate to see it die for no reason!

I was told B. auratum is a pretty hardy T. That it was a good sling for a beginner to them and Ts in general. I'm hoping that with proper care it will survive. I'm also hoping it's female but that's just asking a lot. :) How long does a male live from being a sling to death, usually? Of the B. auratum kind? On average, of course.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Not exactly sure why it died, I was inexperienced, it was too small, I probably stressed it out somehow.
Not all slings are intended to live to adulthood, so I was saddened, but I got more and am learning from my mistakes.

Raine

Arachnopeon
Not happy...do we have any members here whose first slings didn't die on them? I'm inexperienced too and I'd like to at least know I'm doing everything properly for my little auratum. I really am crossing my fingers it doesn't die.

Aren't they usually pretty hardy? Do you think a properly cared for sling will die potentially anyhow? Any positive stories about slings?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine didn't. I just kept em all slightly moist and well ventilated. I don't get the big fuss...they don't seem too difficult to me!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't listen to the ones that randomly had slings die, that's the worst "help" they could offer you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I haven't had any, but most your Brachypelma in general are easy. Just keep it dry, a drop of water on one side of the vial a couple of times a week. If it makes you feel more comfortable, prekill a cricket for it once a week (it's perfectly fine to use an adult since it's dead) & remove the remains the next day.

See, very simple :) Also, don't freak out & be just waiting for it to die, won't do you or it any favors. I've personally only lost one sling, an Avic. versicolor, but it certainly wasn't my first one, probably out of like, 50 slings (+/-) that i've had.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Brachypelma are very easy to raise from spiderlings. They dont require extra humidity, are great eaters and grow fairly fast. Dry loving Ts are a snap. I can feed my brachy slings all the way upto a week before molting. And I feed every other day! LOL
IMO they cant be over fed. :cool:

Raine

Arachnopeon
Well it's nice to hear some positive things! :)

I supposed I'll relax a bit and stop worrying so much. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be, and since it has had a day to adjust I'll be buying all my Ts their crickets tomorrow. I'm going to see if they have a pinhead small enough for my Brachy but if not I have no qualms pre-killing it for the little T. Won't have to do that for my LP though! She apparently is good with adults! I can't wait to see that. :D