First Scorpions and a Colony setup?

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
So it's been just about one year since I started looking into the hobby of keeping inverts and I'm absolutely in love. I started with wanting scorpions and then went to tarantulas, and now 9 tarantulas later I'm looking at possibly setting up a scorpion colony as my last enclosure and to change things up a bit (I like diversity) until I'm in my own place. I'm still kind of stuck between scorpions or an M. Balfouri communal but scorpions would just be a really cool change of pace. The stinger and claws are too awesome to not want! Plus the cost... A fair amount less than M. Balfouri to start out with a decent number of individuals.

My main reason for wanting a communal set up is because there will always be some sort of activity in the enclosure. Depending on the species, I'd like somewhere between 5 to 10 to begin with and to maintain a colony of around 25 if that is possible in a smaller enclosure size. I'm really looking for ease of keeping (i have been spoiled by my tarantulas when it comes to easy keeping) and species that enjoy a drier environment. Also a species that the babies are easily able to be sold/given to other invert lovers :D as I only have so much room. Plus giving back to the people of this awesome community that have helped me out so much would be a great thing!

I would also like the enclosure to be no larger than 5 gallons. I understand if that really limits my choices as well as my desired number of little monsters. I'll make my own or will use a large acrylic display case to make sure I can prevent any possible escapes.

I have a few species in mind as possibilities:
C. Gracilis (Beautiful... Absolutely beautiful)
C. Sculpturatus (not so sure because of the serious punch they pack. I personally am not worried about being tagged myself, but I worry about friends and family getting tagged if one should ever manage to escape or if some should sneak into my room and mess with them.)
C. Vittatus (I really like these due to the small size and how cheap I can get them for)
Babycurus Jacksoni (I've read these aren't the best for communal setups but good lord, they are gorgeous:astonished:)
And really any other options I'm directed towards. Those 3 are the 3 I have looked at off and on over the past year.

I've got a decent idea on how to lay out the enclosure and depending on the species I end up with, I'll be certain to do my research (it's definitely half the fun to me!).

So what I'm wondering is
1) How to prevent cannibalism, since I've read that communal scorpions aren't really communal and seem to only tolerate their neighbors. I've read lots of areas to hide/climb and regular feedings. Would that be enough?
2) When a female is about ready to pop, should I move her from the main enclosure and into a smaller one? How long after birth until the little ones can be introduced to the colony and can they be raised together until the transfer or should I separate them as well?
3) If you think of any other really cool communally accepting scorpions that might fit me, please throw the names my way!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
C vittatus gets my vote if you are looking at a drier environment. C gracilis need a lot more humidity. C sculpturatus are great but the venom is no joke.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
C vittatus gets my vote if you are looking at a drier environment. C gracilis need a lot more humidity. C sculpturatus are great but the venom is no joke.
The Vittatus really seem to be a good choice for me and from what I'm reading, they sound like some of the easiest to care for which is a definite positive.
I've already got a mountain of cork bark laying around, waiting for a purpose and sounds like these could finally give the bark some use!

Yeah the Sculptuartus is really off the list. Maybe one day I'll get around to setting up a colony of those too!

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
they are all very good options for a colony setup, another good one is tityus stigmurus, they are a bit on the Hot side but they rarely cannabalize. the only thing you would have to figure out is what to do with all of the slings that they will have.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Tityus Stigmurus is coo too
they are all very good options for a colony setup, another good one is tityus stigmurus, they are a bit on the Hot side but they rarely cannabalize. the only thing you would have to figure out is what to do with all of the slings that they will have.
T. Stigmurus is a scorpion I have a strong love for haha! Any inverts from Brazil hold a special place in me. Absolutely love them. I'm only iffy on keeping them due to that punch of theirs and they seem to be rather difficult to come by (at least that's what I've noticed since I've started seriously looking into scorpions again).

Getting rid of the babies is honestly one thing I'm really focusing on. As long as the babies are desired by others and I can get them taken off my hands from time to time I think all will be good! Heck, I'd probably give them away to anyone who wanted them! I love the idea of the C. Vittatus but I'm not really sure how desired they are

Did more reading last night and honestly, being in Florida, I could keep humid loving species probably fairly easily so my options are really open for anything.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you are looking to get babies and have a thriving, continuous colony, I'd say T. stigmurus is the way to go. They are very small, and a decent sized colony could be kept in a 5 gallon. Also, unlike many scorps, the babies can stay in with the adults as they rarely cannibalize. Just be careful about sticking your hand in there and you're good :D Love the look of stigmurus, been looking for some near me but no luck. Parthenogenic too, so you don't have to worry about breeding or a male-female ratio ;)

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
T. Stigmurus is a scorpion I have a strong love for haha! Any inverts from Brazil hold a special place in me. Absolutely love them. I'm only iffy on keeping them due to that punch of theirs and they seem to be rather difficult to come by (at least that's what I've noticed since I've started seriously looking into scorpions again).

Getting rid of the babies is honestly one thing I'm really focusing on. As long as the babies are desired by others and I can get them taken off my hands from time to time I think all will be good! Heck, I'd probably give them away to anyone who wanted them! I love the idea of the C. Vittatus but I'm not really sure how desired they are

Did more reading last night and honestly, being in Florida, I could keep humid loving species probably fairly easily so my options are really open for anything.
honestly i wouldnt be to concerned with there punch, as long as you are responsible, respectful of the animal and use your long tongs to do any cleaning then you will be ok. a good cleanup crew always helps to :). and if your concerned for family/ friends, a locking lid could solve your problem, or just make them aware that if they go sticking there hands in there they will instantly regret it!

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
If you are looking to get babies and have a thriving, continuous colony, I'd say T. stigmurus is the way to go. They are very small, and a decent sized colony could be kept in a 5 gallon. Also, unlike many scorps, the babies can stay in with the adults as they rarely cannibalize. Just be careful about sticking your hand in there and you're good :D Love the look of stigmurus, been looking for some near me but no luck. Parthenogenic too, so you don't have to worry about breeding or a male-female ratio ;)
honestly i wouldnt be to concerned with there punch, as long as you are responsible, respectful of the animal and use your long tongs to do any cleaning then you will be ok. a good cleanup crew always helps to :). and if your concerned for family/ friends, a locking lid could solve your problem, or just make them aware that if they go sticking there hands in there they will instantly regret it!
Well.... Dang... The fact that the babies don't need to be removed, and being a small species that is easily kept in a small communal set up is definitely a win. Now I'm actually very interested in the species and since breeding won't be an issue... Yeah I think I'm sold on these!

Oh, I'll be certain to make sure everyone knows not to mess with them and a locking enclosure sounds like a good idea. My family and friends already know all about the tarantulas but I'll still be sure to stress that these are not to be trifled with.

I'm not worried at all about my own ability to deal with these and my tarantulas have definitely taught me how to respect the animals and how to constantly remain aware of what is going on when it comes to feeding and maintenance, especially my P. Muticus (nothing more than an angry, hissing, brown streak flying out of its burrow at random during cleanings).

I'll spend some time really researching into the Stigmurus, getting a good idea of what the enclosure should be like and the proper care. Hopefully some will pop up for sale somewhere soon!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Tityus Stigmurus is also pathogenic. Reproduces on their own. No mating necessary. And a few people say they grow healthier and faster in colonies. Someone has some for sale on the for sale section $15 each .

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Tityus Stigmurus is also pathogenic. Reproduces on their own. No mating necessary. And a few people say they grow healthier and faster in colonies. Someone has some for sale on the for sale section $15 each .
Thanks for the heads up that someone is selling them! Haven't had the time this morning to check out the but/sell but now I will.

Yup, Weightedabyss said that too about them being Parthenogenic which is what really sold me on these. Can't wait to get a colony going!

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
They do pack a punch.
Yeah my friend who lives in Brazil was tagged by one of these years ago. She said it wasn't a pleasant experience! But the fact that babies can live with the adults makes the care seem much easier, especially because I won't need to transfer them out of the enclosure, lowering any risk of an escape and basically reducing any stings from happening. Still, I'll have the enclosure inside of another container whenever I'm working in it. The humidity is no problem for me to maintain so I'm not overly worried about having a dry species (still my go to choice, but these seem too awesome to pass up on). Got to love swampy Florida!

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My vote is for Tityus Stigmurus too I just picked up 3 adults to start my colony

Stugy

Arachnolord
T.stigmurus is a nice communal scorpion and since it is a parthenogenetic species, it will reproduce without needing a mate. My only issue is that they are very venomous compared to many others. With Centruroides species it is recommended to keep the babies separately until they are adults unless you keep enough hiding places. Another thing is too keep all the scorpions well fed to prevent cannibalism. But this is from what I have read from other people's experiences. I have yet to get any of the mentioned species :p

RTTB

Arachnoprince
T stigmurus broods would definitely be in demand. Shipping those hot little beasts can be tricky and it always seems like packing/unpacking is often where mistakes are made.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
My vote is for Tityus Stigmurus too I just picked up 3 adults to start my colony
Dang, that's awesome! Hope you get a good number soon enough!
T.stigmurus is a nice communal scorpion and since it is a parthenogenetic species, it will reproduce without needing a mate. My only issue is that they are very venomous compared to many others. With Centruroides species it is recommended to keep the babies separately until they are adults unless you keep enough hiding places. Another thing is too keep all the scorpions well fed to prevent cannibalism. But this is from what I have read from other people's experiences. I have yet to get any of the mentioned species :p
Now with having enough hiding spaces, I'm assuming it might also help to have some that are too small for the adults to get into and grab the babies for a nice little lunch? Even with the T. Stigs, I'd still probably want places only the little ones can get into just for a little added security. I won't lie, the venom has been on my mind a lot today. Will make sure to have a perfect enclosure set up before even dealing with these hot monsters.
T stigmurus broods would definitely be in demand. Shipping those hot little beasts can be tricky and it always seems like packing/unpacking is often where mistakes are made.
I can only imagine the fun it would be trying to pack some of these! I've had to pack up my P. Muticus juvie for a trip and that was scary enough and you learn real quick on how to deal with potent things that aren't afraid to use the weapons they have xD

Stugy

Arachnolord
Dang, that's awesome! Hope you get a good number soon enough!

Now with having enough hiding spaces, I'm assuming it might also help to have some that are too small for the adults to get into and grab the babies for a nice little lunch? Even with the T. Stigs, I'd still probably want places only the little ones can get into just for a little added security. I won't lie, the venom has been on my mind a lot today. Will make sure to have a perfect enclosure set up before even dealing with these hot monsters.
I can only imagine the fun it would be trying to pack some of these! I've had to pack up my P. Muticus juvie for a trip and that was scary enough and you learn real quick on how to deal with potent things that aren't afraid to use the weapons they have xD
Yeah pretty much about the hiding spots. I don't think you really 100% need it but I bet it may help the survival rate :) Yeah the venom seems scary but there is always a day to try it out and see how it is to keep hot scorps ;)

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Yeah pretty much about the hiding spots. I don't think you really 100% need it but I bet it may help the survival rate :) Yeah the venom seems scary but there is always a day to try it out and see how it is to keep hot scorps ;)
Yeah I probably don't really, but heck, if it might up the chance of survival for the little ones, I'm all for the extra challenge of setting the enclosure up like that. YYYEEEAAAHHH about trying that venom out... I'll find someone willing to take a stab and let me know how it feels. I'll experience the sting vicariously :rofl: I've had too many bad bites/stings to want it again and they have made me extra cautious around hot animals! Experienced one bad bite last summer in the Black Hills from something that gave me a bruise about 6 inches across on my calf and locked all the muscles up in my right leg for a day... Dang bug wouldn't even stick around to let me know what it was! Still have a small scar from it too. :shifty: