First Scorpion

Mila

Arachnoknight
Hey guys. I've been watching quite a lot of scorpion videos and researching them both online and via books and I'm curious as to which scorpion you'd recommend for a first time scorpion keeper. I don't have any requirements set in stone so I'm totally open to all suggestions. Thank you, mila x

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Personally, I feel flat rock scorps (Hadogenes sp.) are some of the best beginner species. They look like scorpion roadkill, and H. troglodytes can get as long as 7-8". They like it pretty dry, and as long as they have slate to squeeze between then they are great :D The sting is like a bee sting, never seen any of my four even try to sting. They live up to 20-30 years too, and are relatively cheap for adults ($45-55 rang for an adult). Only reason why I say adult is that they grow like molasses, but they are my personal favorite scorp ;) There are also 2 common species, both of which are great. There are the olive keeled FRS (H. paucidens), which are smaller than trogs and get about 5-6" long. They have a great pattern though, with yellow stripes across the back. The other is the H. troglodytes, the longest scorpion in the world with beautiful reds and greys throughout. Sorry if this is a lot, but I feel they are often looked over :D Feel they'd be great for a start in scorps :) Here is a pic of my sub-adult female H. troglodytes:

Attachments

Mila

Arachnoknight
You wasn't joking about looking like scorpion road kill . Do you know by any chance if they're the species/genus that has managed to settle into south of England? I was thinking of getting an emperor scorpion but that's what everyone gets and I like to be different ;). X

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Not sure if they are the species in question, they are originally from Africa and would be dubious about them living there, but imo these are the "hip" emps. Get as big if not bigger, and you don't have to worry about humidity ;)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
IMO all scorps your going to own future wise you will soon start to realise that you care / respect them all the same. Your going to get reccomendation to go with something on the docile end . Asian forest. Flat rocks etc.... BUT if you are never going to physically handle it. The toxicity becomes a slightly less.factor ( IN MY OPINION) I started collecting less than 6 months ago. Again I started eith an Asian forest and I now have 6 different types of scorpions 2 of them being VERY (hot) and I treat them no differently. Respect it. Respect it's space. Handle with long tweezers and from there on it just becomes one you find aesthetically pleasing. but again it's just the way I've grown into the hobby

I've seen people on here who stay with "less likely to sting" or not as "hot" scorpions for years because they feel they want experience but I didn't find that much experiencr was necessary

Mila

Arachnoknight
I have no plans to ever handle the scorpion other than when it's absolutely necessary. This guy I know at college has a death stalker and I've seen it a few times and it never really does anything. I think I'll start of a bit milder than a death stalker for my first one though haha. X

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Yea scorps spend their day time inside hides and burrows and usually are active at night.. deathstalker is very very potent
But yea start off something milder. Care for scorps isn't too hard as long as it's not one super sensitive to climate change