First Scorpion!

Sean Jones

Arachnopeon
Hello all I have my first scorpion. He is a Asian Forrest scorpion (at least that's what the pet store said). He is between the size of a tennis ball and a golf ball. I am unsure his age because I forgot to ask. I will be responding to this thread with question , concerns, or praises.

Attachments

Sean Jones

Arachnopeon
Ok so I will attach a picture of his new home that I set up for him. I have a concern. He hasn't eaten in two days. St the pet store they told me he eats every other day. But I saw some threads that they might not eat for month plus. Is there information that kind of letme know when this process happens ? I am in the process of researching molting. Is fasting linked to that?

Attachments

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Only try and feed him a prey atleast half the size of his body once a week, it's possible he will go months without eating but still offer him food weekly, if he doesn't take it, remove it either hours later or the next day.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
The like 3-4 inches of substrate, atleast as they do burrow, (almost all mine have built burrows) and temperatures 80-88 feirenheight are what they prefer although they can tolerate lower. Humidity levels should be kept around 80% alittle higher won't hurt. also provide a shallow wide water dish for them full at all times.

Sean Jones

Arachnopeon
I have large crickets. He ate one two days ago when he was in the little critter carrier until I set his tank up with the eco dirt and the log as a hiding spot. Idk if this makes sense but it's like his tank is two big to notice the crickets. That or he is just not interested right now

Attachments

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
I tong feed my Asian forests and usually if they don't take it out of the tongs I try again next week.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have noticed with Heterometrus species in my care that they can fast for long periods even if not in pre-molt. Don't worry, they can survive months without food.

Stugy

Arachnolord
True about the fasting. My H.petersii (R.I.P.) fasted for 4 months (not counting the very small meals that she did accept) until dying :/. Mine looked old so that more than likely would've been the case for me. Good luck on you ASF and I hope you like him/her! And careful! Scorpions are pretty addictive xD The only reason why I haven't filled with my room with them is money and parents being annoying. BTW beautiful scorpion you have there :D