First scorpion?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to contribute to the hundreds of 'first scorpion' threads, but I have done some research, and I think it might not be a bad idea to create one to see if there are any suggestions for what i really have in mind. So I appreciate any help y'all can give me. :)

Through my searches of starter scorpion threads it seemed that P. imperator was the #1 suggestion. Well, maybe I'm non-conformal, I don't want to start with what everyone starts with! (Trust me, I was the same with my Ts ;) I still don't have a G. rosea). Not to mention, I don't particularly care for the look of P. imperator or any of the similar looking species.

I'm also looking for something that doesn't need warm temps, I'd like to be able to keep it at room temp just like any of my Ts if possible. :)

I don't want anything with medically significant venom to start off with, just to get that out there right now.

I'm still not familiar with many species of scorps or anything, so I apologize. I do however recall a species from Arizona that was good for a starter?

I also remember reading and doing some research on a species... L. australasiae? but if I understand correctly, these really aren't available?

Don't care one way or another about communal or not.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
i would have to say Desert Hairy.... Hadrurus arizonensis. very easy to keep in my opinion. i keep mine at 82F dureing the daytime and around 76F at night. some of them can be a little aggresive once messed with but they are generally easy going. i dont offer mine water at anytime. maybe a light spray every 2 months or so. other than that...basic setup with deep sand capable of holding a burrow and/or provide large flat stones to burrow under. 1-2 crickets a week depending on the size of the scorpion and you should be good to go.
if you want a more humid type scorpion...i would maybe say Centruroides gracilis. These have a more potent venom (compared to H. arizonensis) and require a little more respect but i think their a good starter species as well. very pretty colors also. their pretty quick on their feet and perhaps quicker to sting. if you keep t's im sure you already have some tweezers. if your diving into the scorpion realm, id invest in a good UV light as well. makes locating the scorpions within the enclosure must easier and safer for all invovled. hope this helps.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Vaejovis species are quite nice. At least to me. Quick to sing and readily take prey however low on the venom scale. Peak around making notes of things you like and toxicity, Check the sting reports for that species and then if you still want to give that one a go go for it just keep your head about you. These will help you get an idea of things you like and don't like from there look for what is for sale by searching for that species.

http://theinverts.com/scorpioncaresheets.html
http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.php

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! And thanks for the links Whitewolf! Although, I think I'm going to look around to see whats available and then do some research on them. After looking for your links it's apparent I have eyes for the ones that aren't readily avalible :rolleyes: I. maculatus caught my eye but it seems they aren't really available. Are there any good websites for buying scorps?

I do also like the look of the Vaejovis species, so I'll look more into those. :)

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vaejovis species are quite nice. At least to me. Quick to sing and readily take prey however low on the venom scale. Peak around making notes of things you like and toxicity, Check the sting reports for that species and then if you still want to give that one a go go for it just keep your head about you. These will help you get an idea of things you like and don't like from there look for what is for sale by searching for that species.

http://theinverts.com/scorpioncaresheets.html
http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.php
+1 Vaejovis are amazing. ive had less aggressive and defensive behavior from them than from my emperors ive had.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vaejovis species are quite nice.
+2

The Hadrurus arizonensis or Desert Hairy, is a much larger species. They are awesome and a lot of fun, but they are also really feisty and not as easy to deal with. A good terrarium for them has to be a decent size as well.

There are Vaejovis species that go from a good size down to tiny. They are much easier to deal with, and seem to have less issues than the desert hairys too. You can also keep them in much smaller containers.

So really, between these, your question would be do I want something bigger or smaller and more manageable to start with?

There are quiet a few captive broods getting ready to hit the market soon too. Look in the classifieds and read some care sheets.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm really liking the Vaejovis species. So I think I'm probably going to go ahead with one of those. :) I'm going to start looking around a bit, find out which species are available, if possible, I'd really like a smaller sized scorp! :)

Ok, so I've got some questions and I apologize, they're such noobish questions...

What are the average life span of scorpions?

I already know that once they hit adult size they don't molt anymore, but with scorps to males have a shorter lifespan then the females do? Or is it about the same?

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Life span varys from species to species.

The larger the scorpion the longer they live generally.
Desert species tend to live longer aswell, when compared to tropical species.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to recomend native Centruroides. C gracilis being my favorite. They are buthids and will have a nastier sting. I don't think anyone has died in the US from a native bark sting in many years, like twenty. US gracilis aren't even one of the nastier Centruroides. THey get big, live in groups and eat anything. Feeding the babies is one of my favorite things in the hobby. They'll fight over crickets twice there size. Absolutly one of my favorite all time scorpions. Make sure they are from Florida, the gracilis from central america can kill you. 90%+ of the ones in the US market are from Florida, and every dealer/breeder would lable the CA gracilis if that was what they had. If you keep OW tarantulas any scorpion should be okay, they can't climb smooth surfaces so if they escape it's really your fault. Common since is all you need. I'm not recomending that you get a HOT species, like tityus or anything, but don't let Centruroides venom scare you off.

One more thing, your requirement that the species be kept at room temps will elliminate desert haries and most breeding efforts. If you want a species just to enjoy most species will do fine at room temps.

John

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
glad someone came in and backed me up on the gracilis idea. thought i was begining to look like a fool :p . AzJohn pulling through at the last moment! lol.
if i didnt mention it in my first post, like john said....MAKE SURE they are US native C. gracilis. if they are central/south american's and you make a crazy finger placement mistake, youll be in for a bad week!!

it will only be a matter of time before your addicted to scorpions so no matter what species you choose....youll have a dozen within a few months. your sure to end up with every genus listed in this thread so far. lol.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
and on another note.....lets not forget Centruroides vitattus. very cool, under appreciated species!!

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 C. Vitattus

I have a C. Vitattus that I would swear was a soldier in another life she is either sleeping or patrolling her enclosure...a lot of fun to watch

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First scorpion here was emperor and i'd never change that. big and interesting. comes out when hungry and not very pissy.

but.. I think now i'd like to try something a bit hotter and ready to sting.

So babycurus jacksoni/gigas are a great idea

now, as far as your C gracilis.. i've seen a local female for sale that was well under 3" and she ended up popping off 15-20 babies..... so i don't know how large they get.. some of the readings said 4-5" and some said 2.3/4

now if you want something in between the emperors size and the buthid sting.. trying hadrurus (desert hairy) big, bit more likely to sting and pretty hardy as adults...

Vaejovids if i'm not mistaken can be tiny.. and small scorpions are tough for handling i'd imagine.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be going with either a Vaejovis sp. or a C. gracilis. Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! :) bobusboy, I don't want to get an emp because I personally don't care for how they look, plus I've always been kind of nontraditional like that, most people start off with emps, just like most people start with rosies for their first T, well lets just say I still don't have a rosie.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel ya on the normal standpoint, I personally avoided a rosehair for that reason.. but when you go to a show and see a 7+" scorpion.. it gives you an interesting feeling =)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vaejovids if i'm not mistaken can be tiny.. and small scorpions are tough for handling i'd imagine.
Some Vaejovis species are tiny, others are not. Either way, they are not hard to handle, quite the converse in reality. They are super easy to deal with. I love all the ones I've had.

V. intermedius, V. coahuilae, and V. waueri, I know a few people on here who have had other Vaejovis, and have loved them and commented on their easy care too.

I'm not against the Centruroides mind you, I think they are awesome too. :D