First Scorp

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello everyone im new to the forum just wanted to say hi, but i have a question i have 5 T's 1 pede and alot of herps and other animals im thinking of getting a scorp what would be a good scorp to start out with im not a brain dead idiot i have dont my research on the ones im intrested in, emps and flat rocks which one out of these 2 would be a better starting scorp to me flat rocks sound cooler from what i have read, i know there is a diffrence between reading on the scorp then actully having it what do u recommend? thanks

Sean

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sean,
I really don't know much about scorps. I have bark scorps. forn the desert around here. There doing well though.
Welcome to the group.

Ernie

BTW, Boxers rule !!!;)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sean,

Depends on what you're going for. The flat rock is easier to care for, due to its lower humidity requirements. The emps tend to be more docile and less skittish, though. In the end, it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Get whichever one makes your heart go pitter-patter more. If you really can't decide, get both. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My honest opinion would be that neither is a good T transition scorp . . .

let me explain.

If you're planning on holding the animal (which I do NOT recommend), then either is fine. But coming from the world of T's I'm sure you're used to look-but-don't-touch pets. Also, you claim to be of sound mental capacity, so my recomendation would be a desert hairy (H. Spadix to be exact). Emps and flat rocks are boring for a beginner. For an intermediate scorp keeper both are fun to breed, but for a beginner who just wants something to entertain him, a desert hairy will be out more often. Many people have lost interest in the scorp hobby because they buy an emp and it never comes out of its burrow. On top of this, Hairies almost always use their "sting" to kill prey, which is why most people choose scorps as pets. You won't see that very often with emps or flat rocks.

That being said, if you want to choose between the two, I'd go with the emp (they're still one of my favorite scorps!!!)

Peace,
Chris

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On my side I have 1 h. arizonensis (the hardrurus spadix Reitz talked about is actually an hardrurus arizonensis spadix, the spadix ones have the top black, and the non-spadix it more clear (which I prefer)) and if you like to watch and don't touch, I defenitivly recommand you one H. arizonensis (spadix in options :)) (desert hairy).. I have 1 pandinus imp. but its more for handling because its very docile...

But if i would have to keep only one of my 2 scorps I would keep the H. arizonensis :)

Frank

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thanks guys

i just wanted to say thinks for your info i might just get orders of all 3 for starters cuz thye all sound like pretty intresting pets thanks

sean

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
There is no such thing as a Hadrurus arizonensis spadix. They are two seperate species...H.arizonensis and H.spadix...they are similar and related but two entirely different species. The H.arizonensis spadix name was started by people who don't know how to ID scorpions.

They can be kept under the same conditions as their range in the wild overlaps. Most scorpion species, if kept in close to natural conditions will not be seen in the daytime. They are night predators by design. I never see my H.spinifer...infact they rarely move further than their burrow entrance even at night.

The best species of scorp for higher daytime visibility is Centruroides but then you get into the possiblty of having an animal with hot venom which of course is not a good beginner species.

John
];')

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for explaining me that John, I've seen h. arizonensis spadix very often, but now I know the truth!

Thanks, Frank

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I think the confusion must have resulted from someone getting a batch of both species...since they look very similar it may have been mistakenly thought that it was one name which somehow stuck...At least that is my theory how that came about.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would have to agree, John. I figured it was from a shipment of H. arizonensis pallidus in a very dark color variety (probably nearly black) and they didn't notice or didn't care about the crescent at front of the carapace and believed they were the same species as the scorps without the cescent (H. spadix).

adios,
edw. :D

Scorpion Lover

Arachnopeon
hi

i think u should go with the EMP I HAVE 3 AND THEY GLOW IN THE DARK SO BECARFUL U FIRST SCORP IS YOUR BEST FRIEND :D

david