first scorp

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Was in the petshop today to but crickets and ended up coming home with an Emp scorp.

After reading a lot about these things on this and other sites I'd been interested in getting one of these for a while.

Its getting that I daren't go into that shop anymore, im gonna have to either mailorder my cricks or get someone else to go in and get them for me :)

Here is a pic of the tank, Its a bit bare at the moment, might get a few rocks and bits of cork tommorow to make it a bit more interesting:

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and one more of her sitting in her water dish - from what ive read this is normal but anyone have any ideas why they might do this?

Anyway im pretty happy today :)

cheers,

Stu.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My emperor used to drink from her dish all the time, but never submerged herself in it. That's a totall new behavior to me. Sounds like she's a good one!:D

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah static, I was a bit worried about drowning so ive changed the dish to a much shallower one for now, at least until I find out a bit more info.

I remember reading a tread on this board ages ago about emps submerging themselves in their water? Was this totally under the water?

Maybe she is just getting used to her new home and the humidity needs to be raised a little.

cheers,

Stu.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another question:

While looking at pics of peoples setups many seem to have a layer of sand or gravel underneath the substrate. What is this for? and should I put a layer of sand underneath the substrate in my tank?

cheers,

Stu.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stu, the layer of gravel underneath the substrate helps maintain the humidity.

Risto

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers static,

can I use sand for this too? If I get some gravel I assume that the stuff they sell for use in fish tanks would be ok yeah?

cheers

Stu

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
cheers static,

can I use sand for this too? If I get some gravel I assume that the stuff they sell for use in fish tanks would be ok yeah?

cheers

Stu
I want to know too, because aquarium's gravel is expensive, the thing I fear with normal gravel is staining (or oxydation, or whatever is the name for doing orange thing on the rocks, as it does on certain types of metal). Is normal gravel okay or will it stain and cause problems to substrate/animal?

Thanks, Frank

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You should be able to get pea-sized gravel at Home Depot or other Hardware store...or most places that have gardening supplies for that matter...It would be about 1/2 the cost for about 5x the amount.

Anyway...the purpose of the fine gravel is to provide a layer for water to be added which in turn humidifies the substrate from below. See the Enclosure thread to see my H.spinifer setup which require the same conditions as emps do.

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?threadid=1126

In addition to the gravel you need some sort of tube to add water to the gravel layer. I use about a quart to quart and a half(liter to 1.5L) down the tube per week for my 20 long H.spinifer setup. HTis also allows the scorps to dig to a humidity level where they are most comfortable.

John
];')

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cool, cheers john, I guess thats me running down the garden center tommorow morning then:)

You know anything about my emp thinking its a fish though and diving completely into the water bowl?

cheers,

Stu

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Sounds/looks like bowl is a bit too deep and scorp was either drinking, as suggested, or getting some humidity. My H.spinifer have dug right down into the pebble layer and spend most of their time there in the moisture.

I forgot to add...I also heavily mist the enclosure once a week when I add the water to the tube.

John
];')