First (scary) transfer

Dank Dankston

Arachnopeon
Quick backstory:
I don't know how but I somehow didn't realise that a tarantula being .75 inches meant it would be tiny as hell.
Well, I mean I did, but I guess I somehow brainfarted and made a sterlyte enclosure that was way too big for it. It was a little stuffy too, but of course it took me until I had already put the H. sp. Columbia LG sling in there to realise this. She immediately went into the upper side parts, where the handle was and stayed there, daring me to try to transfer it into a smaller, more suitable inclosure. I would have to oblige though, and I got a ragu jar and added substrate to it in order to make a temp enclosure until I could make another, more suitable one.
She immediately tried to escape into the midst of my bathtub, but after a long and shaky proccess, I managed to get her in.

She's now trying to do the same thing as on the stylyte container. Crawling on the sides instead of the substrate. I tried to make it less stuffy for her but I think it may still be too stuffy.

I plan to add a couple more holes to the top of the jar and I sprayed it lightly until a little bit of the dirt stuck to my fingers when I touched it.
I haven't fed her yet and i'm debating watering the sides to she can drink.

Here's my question:
Does her trying to climb the sides mean I did something wrong with her substrate/made it too stuffy?

Here's pics:

1492278028427-1791817090.jpg 1492278067669738026501.jpg

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Quick backstory:
I don't know how but I somehow didn't realise that a tarantula being .75 inches meant it would be tiny as hell.
Well, I mean I did, but I guess I somehow brainfarted and made a sterlyte enclosure that was way too big for it. It was a little stuffy too, but of course it took me until I had already put the H. sp. Columbia LG sling in thrre that i realised this. She immediately went into the upper side parts, when the handle was and stayed there, daring me to try to transfer it into a smaller, more suitable inclosure. I would have to oblige though, and I got a ragu jar and added substrate to it in order to make a temp enclosure until I could make another, more suitable one.
She immediately tried to escape into the midst of my bathtub, but after a long and shaky proccess, I managed to get her in.

She's now trying to do the same thing as on the stylyte container. Crawling on the sides instead of the substrate. I tried to make it less stuffy for her but I think it may still be too stuffy.

I'll post pics in a second.

View attachment 237030 View attachment 237031
I had the same problem with my 1cm Sling on Tuesday, had made a set up ready , found it to big , then put my wee one back into the container they came in ! We have a walk in shower , and the silly thing is she could have just run under the doors , anyway all went well and I fished the little one out with a large plastic spoon . When moving them back . So all went well , when it said one cm I wasn't sure if that was just the body or whether that was the body and leg length !

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I don't keep her right next to my lamp, by the way, she's in the shade on another shelf.
I can't answer your question about the setup but I know that behavior is pretty common after a transfer and can take alittle while to settle in to their new home. My g pulchripes hide in the corner of its lid for about a week before staying on the ground full time and my I. itabunae
Has been rehoused twice now. First time it took to its starter burrow and stayed damned in for a month and second rehouse it was damed up for 5 1/2 weeks before reemerging. Molting both times. I'm sure someone will chime in about the setup

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Does the jar only have ventilation on the lid?
If yes, that is not enough to prevent stuffyness. Always have some side ventilation as well, preferably across from each other.
Provide water in a waterdish. Bottle caps, Monopoly houses are good waterdishes for slings. They can't drown.
Add ventilation, provide a waterdish, give it something to hide under (fake leaf or piece of bark), and leave it alone after that for a couple of days to settle in. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, Ragù on dat cap, lovely. Btw have you praised Kek before the attempt? :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you can just add some more vent in the lid, itll be fine. glass is not ideal for tropical species however, as Andrea mentioned above.