First sac produced, first sac eaten

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah. My C. fimbriatus ate her sac sometime last night, literally three days before I was going to pull it. I'm pretty angry about it - that was the first sac that I produced and with my favorite species, only to have her eat it a few days before I was going to take it.

It's a learning experience, though. Tarantulas are terrible mothers. I won't be taking this chance again. I have the knowledge, means, and supplies to build one of those "mechanical moms" that float around the boards every so often. That's what I'm going to be using from this point on, I should have done it to begin with.

I've hopefully got several sacs on the way (B. albo Nicaraguan, L. parahybana, N. incei, P. striata, E. truculentus). That doesn't exactly make me feel better, though. From a personal standpoint, I love C. fimbriatus. From a financial standpoint, those slings would have been pretty valuable.

I'm more angry with myself than anything. The only reason I didn't build the mechanical mom was because school had me overwhelmed, and I lost the sac because of it. Here's to hoping that she double clutches, but I'm not holding my breath.

sasker

Arachnoprince
That's a bummer, sorry! :(

Hopefully you will get sacs from the other species. And please show us pictures when you have your first slings! :D

Leila

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry, man. I know how it feels when things don't work out with an egg sac... :sorry:

At least you now know what steps to take with your future sacs though. I am super curious about this mechanical mom you referred to.

TRection

Arachnoknight
That really sucks man im sorry to hear it. The first scorpion i got when i was younger, I was told it was a male when i bought it but a few months down the road it birthed 18 babies. It ate the majority of them before i had a chance to set them all up in tubs and then died (i was young and didnt know better). Life is a fickle beast some times.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear this mate an hard lesson to learn I'm sure you'll have better luck in the future. Fingers crossed for all you're other sacs

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I got the male from @YagerManJennsen, and he's actually got another C. fimbriatus that is very quickly growing. If it's a male, then we get to try this again... with two females this time. I've since gotten myself another adult female, so we'd be able to double-dip.

I am super curious about this mechanical mom you referred to.
Basically, the mother slowly rotates her sac every day. This keeps the eggs from molding and ensures that there are no (or very little) duds. Beyond protecting it, that's all she really does. A mechanical mom is essentially just a cup tied to a slowly rotating motor, between 1-5 revolutions per day. The mechanical mom is usually enclosed in a box hooked up to a humidifier and heater, but I won't need either due to my hot room.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Sorry to hear that. Nature is weird sometimes. Actually, much of the time.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't be angry with yourself, all of us make mistakes which is how most of us learned. You'll have plenty of additional opportunities.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Don't be angry with yourself, all of us make mistakes which is how most of us learned. You'll have plenty of additional opportunities.
I don't think it was even a mistake. We're just dealing with highly unpredictable animals.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That sucks man. Sorry to hear it.

If you do build that thing post some info.

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
Yeah. My C. fimbriatus ate her sac sometime last night, literally three days before I was going to pull it. I'm pretty angry about it - that was the first sac that I produced and with my favorite species, only to have her eat it a few days before I was going to take it.

It's a learning experience, though. Tarantulas are terrible mothers. I won't be taking this chance again. I have the knowledge, means, and supplies to build one of those "mechanical moms" that float around the boards every so often. That's what I'm going to be using from this point on, I should have done it to begin with.

I've hopefully got several sacs on the way (B. albo Nicaraguan, L. parahybana, N. incei, P. striata, E. truculentus). That doesn't exactly make me feel better, though. From a personal standpoint, I love C. fimbriatus. From a financial standpoint, those slings would have been pretty valuable.

I'm more angry with myself than anything. The only reason I didn't build the mechanical mom was because school had me overwhelmed, and I lost the sac because of it. Here's to hoping that she double clutches, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm so sorry to hear that.. But on the brighter side, I guess we should think of it as the survival of the fittest.. I mean, the odds of the sac being a dud sac to begin with is quiet high, and maybe that's y the mom ate the sac in the first place( assuming that she didn't eat the sac coz of dearth of food/hunger ).. So, if it were me, I'd take it as I didn't get to raise a sac genetically inferior slings rather than loss of a sac..

Nevertheless, I'm very hopeful that she'll double clutch.. So do worry, a new sac is on the way ... :angelic:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I'm sorry to hear that because I personally love the Chilobrachys genus and Ive also seen all your post with this breeding attempt so its a sin to see this happen.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear, that sucks even that it was your favorite species. I'm also looking forward to seeing your mechanical mom when its finished.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Ugh, but yeah, as others said already...it is not really your fault and also maybe she ate it because it was a bad sack.