first post.......im kinda new and my tarantula pooped out some babies

chucklenut

Arachnopeon
so ya, bought my first tarantula (a curly hair honduran) from repitcon back in october. she was big bodied and would eat anything i throw at it. she stopped eating back in february and closed off her burrow, i figured premolt?? next thing i know her burrow entrance is removed and she plopped out a bunch of yellow goo (i thought she died er something) upon closer inspection it was eggs, then she wrapped them.

so i never paired her. i figure she is wild caught (as i dont see why a breeder would pair a common species and then sell a confirmed female)

ive watched a few videos from tom morran and the dark den, so after a month i pulled the egg sac. i fully expected it to be a phantom clutch (ive read that tarantulas will do this from time to time like chickens) opened it up and look, a bunch of eggs with legs! what am i supposed to do with 200 plus baby spiders?? it looked like a horror film lol

so ya......i gave a few to a friend but most of my friends are like "hell no i dont want baby spiders to keep". i spoke to a dude at petco and they told me i can donate what i cant give away and they will sell/take care of them. <edit> im keeping 7 or 8 for myself.

so these guys havent molted yet into their first nstar??? not sure as i dont know much about the hobby; but when do i feed them and can i give them all a crushed up roach? when should i separate them all? pictures to follow

the mother and babies

4D23AFB0-3BC2-45B1-9B13-2F69B1246097.jpeg 0BC570D4-EEAE-45F8-88B7-5D2B2C94E39B.jpeg 581C524C-9BAD-480C-94D4-452CCFA63D13.jpeg 3A67AE3D-CC03-48F1-941E-7F31693C179F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Dont give them to petco. They will not take care of them. Also, that enclosure is way too tall. It needs more substrate.

chucklenut

Arachnopeon
Dont give them to petco. They will not take care of them. Also, that enclosure is way too tall. It needs more substrate.
she climbs sometimes but mostly hangs out on the bottom, i should add more though next time i go to clean it good advice. i know they can hurt themselves from a fall of more than a foot or 2??

and ya i was worried with petco since its a corporate store and im not sure which employee would be watching them or care. <edit> this isnt an expensive or rare species so i dont know if its worth anyones time

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I think a good height for a terrestrial enclosure would be 2-4 inches of height. The best way to sell your slings would be on the arachnoboards classifieds. B

chucklenut

Arachnopeon
I think a good height for a terrestrial enclosure would be 2-4 inches of height. The best way to sell your slings would be on the arachnoboards classifieds. B
<edit>

would be cool to release a bunch into the wild but i doubt any would survive in georgia (plus invasive species i guess arent a good thing ever)

fried rice

Arachnoknight
<edit>

would be cool to release a bunch into the wild but i doubt any would survive in georgia (plus invasive species i guess arent a good thing ever)
They could probably survive in georgia, so dont release them. They could become invasive.

ratmilk

Arachnopeon
I would suggest looking around for breeders local to you and contacting them about taking the babies.

cold blood

Staff member
For the record, those are first instar, they need to remain in the incubator until they molt again, they are not ready to sell or give away. They don't need to be fed till after the next molt either.

cold blood

Staff member
MOD NOTE

The forums are not the right platform for selling, buying OR giving away...if you want to discuss this, it needs to be done privately, or by posting in the classifieds. The classified section is the ONLY place want to buy, want to sell or want to give away post are permitted.

Any more discussions of buying or selling will result in infractions, thank you all for your cooperation.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just an FYI, even if they are wc from Nicaragua, pet stores that don't know any better like Petco will still label them as "Honduran Curlyhair".

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What ever you do dont give them to petco, they will mistreat them.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What makes you think it’s a Honduran curly hair? Also why would anyone consider to release them into the wild of Georgia? Are they native to Georgia?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
<edit>

Legitimately one of the worst ideas I’ve seen on this site. I seriously hope you were joking