First post and a newbie question..

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the wonderful world of spiders! :)

I'm in agreement with what Shell says (then again, experience-wise I'm like the pup and she's the alpha. LMFAO!) and I'll just add he/she may also plug up the burrow for some peace and quiet for the molt as well.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OP~ Are you saying that its abdomen has looked like that since the molt??

If thats the case, IMO it kind of looks like it could have been the result of a wet molt...but Im no expert. Compared to some of the pictures Ive seen, the threads Ive read and some of the researching Ive done myself, I think it kind of looks similar. Other than that, he is a portly little guy :}
If your not a "expert" and you do not have first hand experience with it,please refrain from scaring the heck out of this person. My question is what in this post points to ( wet molt). :confused:

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a general point of reference, keep the abdomen at least as wide, or a little wider than the carapace. If the abdomen is wider, you needn't worry about
feeding at all.

I don't feed every day, or every week as a matter or course. I feed according
to abdomen size. Based on this I may skip feeding an animal for many weeks, often until after the next molt.
This is a good rule of thumb espcially about skipping a feed if the abdomen is large. Some spider have slow metabolism B. smithi being one of them.
The little guys abdomen looks like it's darkening usually meaning a oncoming shed so you really don't want any crickets in the cage during shedding. So IMO I would wait for a shed before feeding again just make sure there is plenty of fresh water to drink as needed.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also Luke, as an addendum, often a tarantula will eat all that it can (or should) within as little as one, but often 2-3 feedings post molt. Meaning that within the space of a day or two that tarantula can be done eating until after it's next molt. It depends on how much you feed at one time, species, etc, but I find this often to be the case with growing T's.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your smithii is definitely in heavy premolt. As for the size of the abdomen, it is normal for it to swell prior to a molt. A well fed T can take on on obese appearance prior to a molt due to the new inner exo expanding and "stretching" the old outer exo. You have a very healthy and well fed T who is prepared to molt.
As was mentioned earlier, it may still be a few weeks off, and your T may seal itself off from the world for awhile. Keep humidity up and fresh water available. After the molt give it about 5 days before trying to feed again.
As for feeding until it "pops", that will not happen. An obese T is in danger of a rupture should it fall from a height, but it will not eat itself to death.
Your T looks well cared for, keep up the good work, and good luck with the impending molt.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn that B. smithi is fat! And yes it will soon to molt. Don't worry, I belive its going to be allright, don't be that stressed. ;)

If spider is that fat it is a bit dangerous to rapture its abdomen if it clibs and falls, but it can't rapture it on its own. One more thing: if its overfed and the temperature is a bit higher, it will molt faster, grow faster. And spider gets a bit bulkier body build afterwards. But some say that their lifespan is shortened becouse of that( with B. smithi isn't that of a problem, females have 20-30 years.:razz: