First Pokie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Really I don’t want a male if I’m being at all honest I been disappointed 2 times don’t really want to be disappointed again but am still going to keep the pokie either way

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Really I don’t want a male if I’m being at all honest I been disappointed 2 times don’t really want to be disappointed again but am still going to keep the pokie either way
Ok well wait until it molts then you can sex it, how much did you pay for it?

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Ok well wait until it molts then you can sex it, how much did you pay for it?
100 for the sling 105 with tax was that to much?

It’s also doing some weird scratching with it’s legs like 2 legs at a time like they are curled up under its abdomen but it pulls them out as soon as I touch the enclosure is there anything wrong with it?

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
It’s also doing some weird scratching with it’s legs like 2 legs at a time like they are curled up under its abdomen but it pulls them out as soon as I touch the enclosure is there anything wrong with it?
Most likely grooming itself.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you ignored like 95% of what I said as well, ah well. It is what it is, small, potentially sickly kids shouldn't be messing with pokies till they're older and larger (size wise) and have actual responsibility. Your not just responsible for yourself but other people around you, any small kids, pets, old people etc. Honestly also damn the pet store that sold it to you, they've clearly never heard of liability. Hopefully you get lucky enough to not get hurt, but if and when you do, you really think that there's no possible legal backlash, cause "parents will get me painkillers". That's not how any of it works. Firstly painkillers might not even do jack depending on mechanism of venom. Secondly, they're a very controlled substance that requires close examinations and tests esp when given to a child....doctors are liable to to report you and potentially even your parents, which is backlash that the hobby does not need.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
You know what you guys don’t want me to have the pokie I’m going to call and ask if u can return or exchange it for another tarantula will that make you guys less of a group of haters?

Last edited by a moderator:

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
You know what you guys don’t want me to have the pokie I’m going to call and ask if u can return or exchange it for another tarantula will that make you guys less of a group of haters?
I've been lurking this thread just watching you dodge very good advice and acting on your own impulses. People here are worried about safety of you (which directly influences the hobby in case something goes wrong) and safety of the animal,and i bet people just grind their teeth seeing dozens of mishaps from many people that could've been avoided if they listened to advice.
You should appreciate the animal for being what it is - whether it be a male,female,old or new world. It's an animal to be respected. Now that you've gotten the tarantula,it would be the best to listen to the advice people have given you,make its life wonderful and not stress out the animals more than needed.

cold blood

Staff member
I just had a p cambridgei FYI and I wanted a Metallica since I got into the hobby but they just weren’t available until I found them about 2 weeks ago
Here is the bottom line....if you already raised a cam to adulthood, you should be prepared for a pokie and this should really be a non-issue......keeping a cam is hardly that much different than keeping this pokie.

You know what you guys don’t want me to have the pokie
No one wants to keep you from OWs, people just want you to be prepared for them before hand.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
I have decided to return it to the pet store and find a different tarantula that would be better and less dangerous to me,my family and my cat. I will follow your advice.

cold blood

Staff member
I have decided to return it to the pet store and find a different tarantula that would be better and less dangerous to me,my family and my cat. I will follow your advice.
That's a good decision. Pokies aren't going anywhere despite all the hype.

Personally, regardless of experience, I never like seeing medically significant animals in the hands of minors.....even if theyre responsible...part of being responsible is knowing when toi say no, and when you should wait on things.....good things come to those who wait...those that don't often end up with a much less enjoyable experience. Its way more enjoyable with experience.

I am a perfect example...I waited a decade to get my first ow, which was also a pokie (vitatta), and as a result of my patience, when I got the sling, I was completely prepared, I understood husbandry, set ups, behavior and I was already completely accustomed to the speed....this resulted in me not having to ask a bunch of questions, and not having a single issue....even when potential problems cropped up, because I knew exactly how to deal with such situations.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Excellent! We are glad to hear that you've chosen the responsible course and are taking the safety of your family, your other pets and yourself into consideration. As you are returning the tarantula there is no reason to keep this thread open any longer, therefore, it will now be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.