First Pokie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
It was a poki, a chilobrachys sp. or a form of a baboon but I found one of the P. Metallica available for once since I started keeping so I said to my self “screw it im buying the poki” and that’s how it went so wish me luck my friends!!
You definitely shouldn’t be banking on luck. You sound woefully unprepared. You’d better atleast let your parents know how dangerous it is so they’re at ready if it bites you or gets loose

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I’ve basically read everything you could find on it. Just wanted to start a thread for a little help or help for someone else looking for a first pokie out there
Everything? Are you sure? :)

Here's 4360 results just from searching "First Pokie" on google just for this website:

Here's another 5440 results just from searching "Poecilotheria metallica" on google just for this website (some may be duplicates of those found in the first link ;)):

What specific help are you looking for that you could not find? (seeing as you basically read everything :D )

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Everything? Are you sure? :)

Here's 4360 results just from searching "First Pokie" on google just for this website:

Here's another 5440 results just from searching "Poecilotheria metallica" on google just for this website (some may be duplicates of those found in the first link ;)):

What specific help are you looking for that you could not find? (seeing as you basically read everything :D )
Us newer keepers need reassurance at every step!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Us newer keepers need reassurance at every step!
What was your first species? Just curious as for the Australian keepers os there a beginner for y’all? Kinda different than being anywhere else.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
What was your first species? Just curious as for the Australian keepers os there a beginner for y’all? Kinda different than being anywhere else.
I started with 3 Phlogius sp. slings, and soon after got a penultimate Phlogius Rubiseta male. Id have to say this handsome dude, being my first adult, to me feels like my first T
20180419_161423.jpg 20180519_231200.jpg

If i could redo things i probably would have gone with an adult Selenotypus sp. like S.Wallace, as they are much more docile in comparison, but i haven't ever been bitten or come close to.

Now saying that im still well aware of how wrong things can go, Aussie T's arent any slower than foreign OW's and ive had 1 escape before due to complacency. But a calm disposition helps these situations immeasurably. This the most cursed image a T keeper can see:
20180906_180352.jpg

My advice to all keepers, not necessarily just OW beginners, is simply prepare for every situation to go wrong beforehand. In the event it does, you'll be mentally prepared enough to manage it without freaking out

[Edit]
Somehow attached an image of one of my first slings, but since i mentioned them ill keep it. P.Strennus

Attachments

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I started with 3 Phlogius sp. slings, and soon after got a penultimate Phlogius Rubiseta male. Id have to say this handsome dude, being my first adult, to me feels like my first T
View attachment 350906 View attachment 350905

If i could redo things i probably would have gone with an adult Selenotypus sp. like S.Wallace, but i haven't ever been bitten or come close to.

Now saying that im still well aware of how wrong things can go, Aussie T's arent any slower than foreign OW's and ive had 1 escape before due to complacency but a calm disposition helps these situations immeasurably. This the most cursed image a T keeper can see:
View attachment 350904

My advice to all keepers, not necessarily just OW beginners, is simply prepared for every situation to go wrong beforehand. In the event it does, you'll be mentally prepared enough to manage it without freaking out

[Edit]
Somehow attached an image of one of my first slings, but since i mentioned them ill keep it. P.Strennus
Nice, even the Aussie Tarantulas are beautiful.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
You definitely shouldn’t be banking on luck. You sound woefully unprepared. You’d better atleast let your parents know how dangerous it is so they’re at ready if it bites you or gets loose
See you say that but under estimate my keeping abilities I could be better then you for all you do know. And my parents knew very well what they were getting themselves into with the tarantula. Just because you have kept more then a couple tarantulas doesn’t mean your better.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
See you say that but under estimate my keeping abilities I could be better then you for all you do know. And my parents knew very well what they were getting themselves into with the tarantula. Just because you have kept more then a couple tarantulas doesn’t mean your better.
There are pages upon pages of bite reports, you can use the search function and read until get tired, then still have a few pages left.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Errm... I presume he is a better keeper if he has more experience. Chill, you have nothing to prove. A pokie is a risky choice for a third T, (They outrival anything you’ve kept in speed and potential)

You may be the Steve Irwin of T keeping or a klutz with no common sense. Without knowing you it’s impossible to determine so everyone here is veering on the line of caution for you and the T’s sake.

I’d go with a practice arachnid to prepare you for pokies, they are no joke. Try huntsman spiders, they’ll prepare you for the teleportation powers of pokies without a venom payload. Essentially, you need more experience before you keep any pokies or similar T’s. Poecilotheria aren’t rare and you’ll always be able to find a sling (out of curiosity, how much is the sling in the shop?)

Trust me, better safe than sorry...

Last edited:

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of the main reasons I'd be worried, if your a smaller kid or still developing is that your much more susceptible to the venom, this is an excerpt from a fairly solid peer reviewed paper, "Bites of tiger spiders belonging to Poecilotheria genus cause moderate to severe pain and long-lasting local or generalized muscle cramps in humans. Bites occur in regions of the spiders' natural habitat, India and Sri Lanka, but the popularity of these colorful tarantulas as pets leads to reports of envenomation cases worldwide...The major symptoms of envenomation include tonic-clonic seizures, jerks, characteristic motor stereotypy, and hyperalgesia and point to voltage-gated sodium channels as a potential target of the venom components."

Lemme break down what those clinical terms actually are. Tonic-clonic seizures are your full body muscle seizures/cramps usually accompanied by urinary incontinence (pissing/and or <edit> yourself) while your jaw clamps down and you bite your tongue and potentially briefly black out. Hyperalgesia means a sensitization of nerve receptors, potentially permanently, means the pain receptors in that area become hypersensitive and constantly active. I'm talking long lasting consequences. Depending on the mechanism of action of venom components, pain killers might not even do much. This is based on the 2017 research paper here (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0041010117302490). Also feel free to read up this one; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0041010113004182.

Last edited by a moderator:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
On the note of envenomation effects being stronger the younger you are, theres one recorded case of i believe a H.Formidabilis bite here in Aus that dropped a kid to their deathbed in 15 minutes. Normally on an adult that would take 30-60 minutes untreated. Goes hand in hand with what @wesker12 mentioned above to show just how big of a difference age can play in the event of a bite. Symptoms can occur in half the time and at greater severity.

All of us genuinely want the best for you and any tarantulas you chose to buy, so we just want stress how dangerous this animal is and how much caution any keeper needs around them. I cant speak about this species (P.Metallica) from experience, but owning whats currently believed to be the deadliest species on the planet, i do know a thing or 2 about wrangling potent species.
20200630_170617.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
The most venomous tarantula/spider is the one that bites you. Even if the venom is known as a "bee sting" you don't know how that venom will react on YOUR body. Plus once the tarantula/spider in question is bigger you've got the mechanical bite to consider also.

Also tarantulas can be rapid when they feel the need. ALL tarantulas. The pet rock that waits for crickets to basically walk into their fangs will be out their enclosure should they feel like they need to and you let your guard down.

When I first joined this forum I absolutely was in the mindset of "they're tarantulas not a gaboon viper". But after being on here a while I've realised that just because they're not potentially deadly their venom absolutely needs to be respected. I also didn't like the term stepping stone species. But once you've got one of those stepping stones you won't suddenly not care about them when you're comfortable and get a pokie. You'll adore them for what they are. A beautiful tarantula.

From what I've read in this thread I absolutely WOULDN'T recommend you get a pokie OP.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Poecilotheria, despite being a hardy genus, are one of the most killed spiders in the hobby. This all comes from new keepers who know who know little of them and overestimate their own abilities. Poecilotheria metallica, after Caribena versicolor, is likely the most killed species in captivity. Every beginner impulse buys one. And kills it.

Focus on cheap and tolerant NW spiders for now OP.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Poecilotheria, despite being a hardy genus, are one of the most killed spiders in the hobby. This all comes from new keepers who know who know little of them and overestimate their own abilities. Poecilotheria metallica, after Caribena versicolor, is likely the most killed species in captivity. Every beginner impulse buys one. And kills it.

Focus on cheap and tolerant NW spiders for now OP.
Whilst that's intresting to read the focus on "the cheap" is awful. Regardless of price they're all tarantulas. The actual monetary value of a tarantula shouldn't come into it with regards to being looked after.

I 100% understand hardy tarantulas being a good starter but there's zero need to mention cheap.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Whilst that's intresting to read the focus on "the cheap" is awful. Regardless of price they're all tarantulas. The actual monetary value of a tarantula shouldn't come into it with regards to being looked after.

I 100% understand hardy tarantulas being a good starter but there's zero need to mention cheap.
At 15 i lived on a summer job and 10 dollar a week allowance. There is absolutely a need to mention the monetary value of P metallica compared to more affordable species to someone at that age in the average financial situation. If only to direct them to a wiser choice of spider.

basin79

ArachnoGod
At 15 i lived on a summer job and 10 dollar a week allowance. There is absolutely a need to mention the monetary value of P metallica compared to more affordable species to someone at that age in the average financial situation. If only to direct them to a wiser choice of spider.
That's fine. But your post wasn't about what you can afford. It was about what's cheap and if the tarantula dies it's not such a big loss.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's fine. But your post wasn't about what you can afford. It was about what's cheap and if the tarantula dies it's not such a big loss.
How would you convince a young teenager its not a smart choice to get a metallica?? He can buy an expensive metallica and risk it dying. Or buy a few cheap species and have a greater chance of their survival. Like it or not, thats something to consider for young people buying tarantulas.

basin79

ArachnoGod
How would you convince a young teenager its not a smart choice to get a metallica?? He can buy an expensive metallica and risk it dying. Or buy a few cheap species and have a greater chance of their survival. Like it or not, thats something to consider for young people buying tarantulas.
To be honest if commonsense doesn't get through to them then so long as the price isn't extreme they'll buy 1 anyway regardless.

But your post reads much better now you've explained your wording/reasoning.

mellow

Arachnobaron
What a joke. You clearly have some insecurities... have fun
Nobody likes to be underestimated or judged by age, and he's right for all we know he could be a be a better keeper then me even though I have more bugs in my collection, none of us know him and he doesn't have to listen to any of us, and none of you have to listen to me, but we should be focused on helping him take the best care of the pokie he can, not telling him not to get the pokie even though he's going to get it anyway.
😃

Status
Not open for further replies.