First Pokie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
even though he's going to get it anyway.
😃
What do teenagers do when adults tell them not to? I have two of them and I was one. They are invincible. Death isn't comprehensible to a teen. If they have supportive parents, then that's awesome. I dont know anything about pokies except that they are talked about constantly around here so anything you need to know is just a quick search away.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Ladies and gentlemen calm yourselves down it’s all ok I bought a venom extractor.🤣🤣 but in all seriousness I’m no <edit> I know their speed and teleportation powers. That is what my P. Cambridgei had up its sleeve I even asked some of the people at the pet store about it and they said it was extemely fast even for that species. And to whoever said I’m the Steve Erwin of tarantula keeping. We just won’t talk about the black widow I have sitting alive and well in the jar next to me ok.

Errm... I presume he is a better keeper if he has more experience. Chill, you have nothing to prove. A pokie is a risky choice for a third T, (They outrival anything you’ve kept in speed and potential)

You may be the Steve Irwin of T keeping or a klutz with no common sense. Without knowing you it’s impossible to determine so everyone here is veering on the line of caution for you and the T’s sake.

I’d go with a practice arachnid to prepare you for pokies, they are no joke. Try huntsman spiders, they’ll prepare you for the teleportation powers of pokies without a venom payload. Essentially, you need more experience before you keep any pokies or similar T’s. Poecilotheria aren’t rare and you’ll always be able to find a sling (out of curiosity, how much is the sling in the shop?)

Trust me, better safe than sorry...
Also they were 100 usd for about a 2in sling

Also I don’t want to bring much of my personal problems into this but I don’t know if I could have muscular dystrophy so I’m really trying to live my life to it’s fullest even if that does mean getting a dangerous teleporting spider. But I do understand all of your points but you ALL do need to understand that you are not my parents and do NOT make my choices for me so if I want to buy a Poki that is most likely the least defensive and least likely to bite then Mabye I should have honed with something a little more dangerous and fast such as a I don’t know featherleg baboon anyone’s opinion on that I bet getting bit by one of those feels nice anyone want to tell me what it is like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ladies and gentlemen calm yourselves down it’s all ok I bought a venom extractor.🤣🤣 but in all seriousness I’m no retard I know their speed and teleportation powers. That is what my P. Cambridgei had up its sleeve I even asked some of the people at the pet store about it and they said it was extemely fast even for that species. And to whoever said I’m the Steve Erwin of tarantula keeping. We just won’t talk about the black widow I have sitting alive and well in the jar next to me ok.
I wanna buy the arachnosupporter package just so i can "meh" this post.

Do whatever you want.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Mabye I should have honed with something a little more dangerous and fast such as a I don’t know featherleg baboon
So you want the most venomous sp. you can handle? (quite idiotic if you ask me)
If you’re thrill seeking tarantulas are not the animal for you. The most venomous sp. will simply teleport out of your sight, it won’t stand there threat posing for you to wrangle it.

I bet getting bit by one of those feels nice anyone want to tell me what it is like?
Check out the bite reports on the site, perhaps they’ll change your mind.

if I could have muscular dystrophy so I’m really trying to live my life to it’s fullest
How about a P.Sazimai or some metallic fruit beetles as an experience, they far outrival dangerous T’s.

Do what you deem wisest with your time, I’m not here to debate ethics. But please stop and at least acknowledge the advice you’ve been given before jumping into a mindless adrenaline hunt. Best of luck.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
So you want the most venomous sp. you can handle? (quite idiotic if you ask me)
If you’re thrill seeking tarantulas are not the animal for you. The most venomous sp. will simply teleport out of your sight, it won’t stand there threat posing for you to wrangle it.

Check out the bite reports on the site, perhaps they’ll change your mind.

How about a P.Sazimai or some metallic fruit beetles as an experience, they far outrival dangerous T’s.

Do what you deem wisest with your time, I’m not here to debate ethics. But please stop and at least acknowledge the advice you’ve been given before jumping into a mindless adrenaline hunt. Best of luck.
Your like this but have never experienced anything more then a pet rock to keep. So I don’t know what this is your problem and also I was be sarcastic because you all are saying you shouldn’t get a pokie your not ready. You have no idea what pets I keep or how well of a keeper I am. I could be a keeper with 10x the skill you have so why don’t you go back and hold your pet rock and mind your own animals. If you all come into a thread asking for any tips and tricks to keeping a spider and say you should get it and criticize everyone in here then go to a different thread.

basin79

ArachnoGod
TL/DR

OP asked for advice on getting a pokie.

Rightly, members replied it wasn't a good idea.

OP's not happy with the replies so the toys are out of the pram.

Rinse repeat for upcoming threads like this.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
TL/DR

OP asked for advice on getting a pokie.

Rightly, members replied it wasn't a good idea.

OP's not happy with the replies so the toys are out of the pram.

Rinse repeat for upcoming threads like this.

Remember the one about a year ago where his Pokie got out of its enclosure and into its OBT enclosure, then shut the door and started breeding with it? You can't make this stuff up lol.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Remember the one about a year ago where his Pokie got out of its enclosure and into its OBT enclosure, then shut the door and started breeding with it? You can't make this stuff up lol.
That sounds like a real good one hah

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
You have no idea what pets I keep or how well of a keeper I am.
But we do.
P. Cambrigei before this and before him I had a T. Vagans.
Seeing your current circumstances (condolences) and your refusal to reason, do whatever you want.

However I’m not helping an inexperienced thrill seeker write a bite report or lose their tarantula. There’s plenty of info if you check out the search bar of the site.

Last edited:

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I'm still fairly new here, but I must admit that I absolutely love these trainwreck threads. This forum is informative and entertaining.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Confirmation bias insulted. Don’t ask a question if your going to rage at the answer.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Confirmation bias insulted. Don’t ask a question if your going to rage at the answer.
Mr twister my friend I simply asked for some keeping tips on the spider and got WW3 started in this thread. They weren’t helpful they didn’t give me any good keeping advice and they were very rude.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ok.....heres my first tip.In the image ive put here,the pokie ( P.formosa) is facing up.BAD time to pull the lid!!!.I will post another,or someone else can.wait for the
pokie to be facing down.Increase the odds it will race to its retreat.
If you give the enclosure a little jiggle,it will run to its hide.The thing is,this info is all over the place.Google/AB/YouTube.
These threads get worn out really fast.Your acting like this is personnal towards you?Its not,but don't turn this on us.Thats really on you.

2....always now where your animal is.This goes for any T,but especially for OW,s.
If you are using a top opening enclosure double check around the edge of the lid.
You DO NOT want the pokie hidden next to the lid when you take it off.And pokie slings are great at doing this.So...be careful.

Attachments

Last edited:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
At 15 i lived on a summer job and 10 dollar a week allowance. There is absolutely a need to mention the monetary value of P metallica compared to more affordable species to someone at that age in the average financial situation. If only to direct them to a wiser choice of spider.
I'd add that OBTs are often some of the cheapest (yet most attractive) tarantulas at pet stores and owners with minimal knowledge (like OP) might jump at the chance to get one when given the advice to go with low prices...

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
I do understand all of your points but you ALL do need to understand that you are not my parents and do NOT make my choices for me so if I want to buy a Poki that is most likely the least defensive and least likely to bite then Mabye I should have honed with something a little more dangerous and fast such as a I don’t know featherleg baboon anyone’s opinion on that I bet getting bit by one of those feels nice anyone want to tell me what it is like?
All I have to say is this to the OP. You are asking for personal experience regarding owning a specific Species. You described yourself as being fairly inexperienced with dealing with Pokie. Therefore responses suggest you and get more time in with rehousing and dealing with maybe a calmer species before jumping in to something that may be outside your skillset.

Instead listening, you essentially say "DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO! Im getting it anyways". So what is the point of asking for thoughts and opinions about getting one if the advice will just be ignored?

Getting something dangerous before your ready isn't a right of passage, It is irresponsible and could lead to undesired results.

However, do as you will. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.