First Pokie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give any extra pointers or tips on keeping a P. Metallica it’s about 1.75in and pretty darn fast even for a pokie

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What advice are you looking for in particular?
and what does the enclosure look like?

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
What advice are you looking for in particular?
and what does the enclosure look like?
It’s living in a deli cup and currently being help at a locally owned pet shop that specializes in tarantulas and other reptiles and really anything extra you wouldn’t find on YouTube like abnormal behavior or etc

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Read up about the species you own is my tip

StupidTube by and large is useless IME.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
I’ve basically read everything you could find on it. Just wanted to start a thread for a little help or help for someone else looking for a first pokie out there

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s living in a deli cup and currently being help at a locally owned pet shop that specializes in tarantulas and other reptiles and really anything extra you wouldn’t find on YouTube like abnormal behavior or etc
Post a picture of the enclosure!

and I wouldn’t go to YouTube for info. Unless it’s Tom Moran he’s pretty good.

biggest advice be careful!

What is your husbandry like?

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Post a picture of the enclosure!

and I wouldn’t go to YouTube for info. Unless it’s Tom Moran he’s pretty good.

biggest advice be careful!
I hope and I mean hopefully will pick it up on Friday before the 4th of July but didn’t want to bring it into the hotel I’m currently living in just a bad environment for it. And will send a picture as soon as I get it I watched all of Tom Moran’s videos on them and a couple others I can’t remember the names right now but will tell you if I remember.

Also what do you mean by what is my husbandry like?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I hope and I mean hopefully will pick it up on Friday before the 4th of July but didn’t want to bring it into the hotel I’m currently living in just a bad environment for it. And will send a picture as soon as I get it I watched all of Tom Moran’s videos on them and a couple others I can’t remember the names right now but will tell you if I remember.
Also what do you mean by what is my husbandry like?
Okay sorry I was under the impression you already had it. I was trying to figure out how you are keeping it.

Is this your first tarantula?

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Okay sorry I was under the impression you already had it. I was trying to figure out how you are keeping it.

Is this your first tarantula?
I mean if my mom let me get it as a first tarantula I would have been in some deep water but no I had a P. Cambrigei before this and before him I had a T. Vagans. So 3rd tarantula I know I might seem like a newbie but am pretty knowledgeable about T’s

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I mean if my mom let me get it as a first tarantula I would have been in some deep water but no I had a P. Cambrigei before this and before him I had a T. Vagans. So 3rd tarantula I know I might seem like a newbie but am pretty knowledgeable about T’s
Okay well im glad to hear it’s not your first.
did you raise the Psalmopoeus cambridgei up from a sling all the way to adulthood? If so did you have any trouble with it?

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Yup all the way from a little 1/2in along to a 5 1/2-6in mature male then sent him to breed in Florida. Only one mishap the day I got him when I was giving him a little water he didn’t like it and threat posed then bolted out and into my nasty pair of vans shoes. Other then that no problems after that

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Just use common sense. Always have a catch cup ready. All maintenance done with long tongs. Never reach your hand in there. Expect it to be fast (because they are). Don’t poop your pants and freak out if it happens to get out during a feeding, spot clean, etc.... just be calm, this is where the catch cup comes in handy. In advance, create a device that makes re-housing easy and safe for you and the T. Have proper arboreal setup based off size. Read, read and read a lil more if you must. But most importantly, use common sense. As I’m sure you’re aware, you don’t want to take a bite. Especially when it can be avoided.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
I’d probably rather be bit by it now rather then later because of those fangs. I will post a pic later this week Mabye you could help me identify if it is a female or male from a underside shot against the deli cup?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This genus has sent grown men to hospitals documented in medical literature.

There’s no logical reason for someone with your level of experience and age to own an OW, esp a Poki.

I’m checking out of your insanity hotel now

Good luck!

Last edited:

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
It was a poki, a chilobrachys sp. or a form of a baboon but I found one of the P. Metallica available for once since I started keeping so I said to my self “screw it im buying the poki” and that’s how it went so wish me luck my friends!!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yup all the way from a little 1/2in along to a 5 1/2-6in mature male then sent him to breed in Florida. Only one mishap the day I got him when I was giving him a little water he didn’t like it and threat posed then bolted out and into my nasty pair of vans shoes. Other then that no problems after that
okay well if you have had a Psalmopoeus and raised it up, just do the exact same thing with a poecilotheria, but just be more cautious and take some extra measures during all maintenance and rehousing. An escaped Psalmopoeus is not the same thing as an escaped poecilotheria.

that being said since you haven’t bought it yet there are better options as a third tarantula. A lighting fast potent venom arboreal is not the best choice.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It was a poki, a chilobrachys sp. or a form of a baboon but I found one of the P. Metallica available for once since I started keeping so I said to my self “screw it im buying the poki” and that’s how it went so wish me luck my friends!!
Well if you are definitely getting it, you need to have a system for maintenance and rehousing

mellow

Arachnobaron
If you feel like you are ready for a pokie then get one, they are an awesome tarantula and I definitely understand why you want one, and I am sure you will be careful, good luck!
😁

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Rule #1: Don’t get bit. That pokie will put you in the hospital even if it’s just a lil guy. Where are you keeping it if you’re staying at a hotel...? If you lose it you will be banned for liiife

Status
Not open for further replies.