First pokie on the way

Jimi Thing

Arachnopeon
Hello, just a little excited because I'll be recieving my first pokie today from Mr P. Becker.
After owning five T's I thought it was time to try my hand at a 3'' P Regalis.
I've gotta admit, I'm a little nervous about getting it into the new enclosure, any tips?

Enclosure pics
2.5 gallon

I hope that this won't be too big for the little one. I'll post some pics after it gets here today.

T o m

Arachnopeon
nice choice dude, pokies are awesome! just stay calm and have an empty container to hand, they are stupidly fast but ive never had a problem with my pokies :) the enclosure looks fine im sure he/she will enjoy the room to roam around i expect he's been trapped in a small shipping box for a day or two?

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
Hello, just a little excited because I'll be recieving my first pokie today from Mr P. Becker.
After owning five T's I thought it was time to try my hand at a 3'' P Regalis.
I've gotta admit, I'm a little nervous about getting it into the new enclosure, any tips?
Pokies are really easy to look after as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve, I have 4 of them 2 regalis, one striata and a metallica. I handle them all the same.

In general they prefer to leg it, over teleporting. What I tend to do before opening the door up fully is open it a little and gently prod thier abdomen with a long paintbrush, they usually leg it to the bottom of the enclosure to hide, making it pretty safe to mess about spot cleaning ect. To do a full change out I use the same process to get it to the bottom where it seems instinctively less flighty, then using the same proding utensil I "shoo" it into a seperate box untill I am done. They are fast when they seem to be up high and have a place to go but if you limit thier routes they are easily managed. That is my experience anyway and I have never been bitten or had any problems with escapes.

Depending on the size of the container it is shipped in you should be able to crack it open and put it inside the enclosure until it comes out on it's own. If it will not fit then try to angle it the best you can into the doorway of the enclosure and possibly use something into the back of the shipping container to nudge it out and forward. That would be my best bet.

Good luck. The P. regalis is a beauty and my favorite T of all time. :clap:

Last edited:

Jimi Thing

Arachnopeon
Hey thanks for the advice. I have an H lividum but for some reason this one has me a little more nervous.

cdjseahawk

Arachnopeon
slow him down

A little trick I use is I put them in the fridge for about 5 minutes to slow the speedy guys down or you can do it in you bathtube this always works for me.
-Chris

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
Great choice Pokies are the sheet ;P Just use alot of caution and put them in the bathtub when ur guna transfer them. My pokies always try to hide their faces under their legs before they run or anything and they are a little stubborn, then will explode forward so watch out haha. Treat them with respect and u wont get bit :) .....hopefully ;P

Jimi Thing

Arachnopeon
Well, they got here and I gotta say, I was shaking a bit putting the regalis into the enclosure but all went as planned. I just opened the vile and used the paint brush and it came right out. I didn't even have to use the tub lol!
I also ordered a 1" GBB sling but the little guy showed up missing a leg but not too worried about it.

Pics

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
Its a beauty :p My blue fang lost a leg (thanks to my dad :wall: ) but i guess it'll grow it back eventually. Good looking t though :)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I'll repeat what I said before in other threads, if you're a little nervous why put an arboreal into an enclosure where the (almost fossorial) tube is so close to the opening. Your cork tube is very wide which won't discourage the skittish side to pokies. You'd be much better off creating arboreal furnishings and a tall hide IMO.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats. She is a beauty to behold. :):clap:
How do you know its a she?, was it sold as she?
I love Regalis my self it a very pretty spider :clap:
congratulation on new addition

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Aha and here is the answer
Jimi Thing said:
I bought it as a 3'' unsexed juvie

Jimi Thing

Arachnopeon
I am happy with the purchase. I'm not sure of the sex yet.
I was nervous about putting this one in it's enclosure because this being my first pokie and knowing about thier speed and potant bite, I guess not knowing if it would just go into the enclosure or do a u turn and head up my arm. Now that it's in the enclosure I'm a little more at ease opening the enclosure when I need to. As far as making the enclosure, I really didn't know how to arrange things so I looked at some of robc's vids and tried to replicate them as good as I could (with my limited skills). After making the hide I realized that the diameter was a little big for the T and the 2.5g enclosure but I decided to keep going with it.

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Pokies r great! Mr p becker is awsome, i just got my p.metallica from him today! Whoooo hoooo! Just becareful n remember the telpathic powers they posses! N have fun1 god i love ts. :)

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
How do you know its a she?, was it sold as she?
I love Regalis my self it a very pretty spider :clap:
congratulation on new addition

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Aha and here is the answer
I made the reference out of pure habbit. Both my adult P. regalis are females and I refer to most objects as a she, my car, my motorcycle etc.. Just did it instictively because I am a male and it flows better... Not because I know for a fact it is a female. I do have a 50/50 chance of guessing right though! My bad. :8o

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I made the reference out of pure habbit. Both my adult P. regalis are females and I refer to most objects as a she, my car, my motorcycle etc.. Just did it instictively because I am a male and it flows better... Not because I know for a fact it is a female. I do have a 50/50 chance of guessing right though! My bad. :8o
well, many Poecilotheria at 3" there is really no much guess or its a female or male, just have to look ventral (under)side of spider
oh and I also call all my wheels 'she' its cool ;)

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice pickup. I think Pokies are so much prettier in life than in pictures...enjoy! PS: I like to shark tank the faster, hotter Ts. It works pretty well so far.