First pokie advice

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After doing some research and admiring the beauty of them for a while now, I am probably going to order my first Poecilotheria today, I would like to know which one you think is the best first one to own. I was thinking P. regalis because of the lower price. Any other tips would be appreciated.

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are very fast, be careful when working in their enclosure. P. regalis are ok but P. metallica are my choice.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Get a less-expensive one that could be easily replaced so you can get used to the genus and once you've mastered that pokie, you can move on to the more expensive, valuable ones.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd go with a P. regalis as well...
They are cheap, beautiful, and not as 'agressive' or 'defensive' as other species like P. ornata.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting suggestions in this thread

metallica, the most expensive
subfusca, unusual climate preference, rare and expensive.

I would get a regalis. Cheap, robust, not so flighty like fasciata and brighter than the similarly priced formosa.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I always heard before I got my pokies that the two best starter pokies were P. regalis and P. ornata. So that is what I have and they are both doing well.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The common regalis is an awesome spider!!!

And if you can get a rufilata, go!!! They are calmer, grow bigger, and the colors....:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I went ahead and ordered a 3" regalis, along with a 5" L. parahybana and a 3/4" C. cyaneopubescens, from reptist. I got a tall terrarium with some cork bark set up in it mimicing tree branches in it, and some vermiculite in the bottom to help retain moisture from spraying, along with a water dish down there. Any other advice about caring for these beautiful spiders?

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are very fast, be careful when working in their enclosure. P. regalis are ok but P. metallica are my choice.
IMO P.metallica are a bit expensive(over 200.00$) for a first pokie I would also go with P.regalis and P.rufilata.

Alain

Last edited:

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My advice is get what your interested in spiders are not hard to take care of at all they should be considered the lazy mans pet. I know im still kinda new to the hobby but any giant tree spider is gonna be pretty amazing dont just think of the "starter" species like a tricycle.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A P. ornata was my first pokie (3rd owned spider), closely followed by regalis. I was very very new to the hobby seen as i had them after a few months. Alot earlier then recommended for them.

I've always exercised extreme caution with them, due to the speed and their potentness and not had a problem with them. But you've probably read that from other threads.

It does vary from spider to spider greatly, my ornata used to be really mean when it got about 4 inchs and now is reasonably calm at 6 inches.

But I would say regalis, or maybe ornata as a good choice. I have a nice tempered pederseni, but alot of feedback on them say they are a bit more tempermentle then the others. These three are reasonably priced too.

Hope this helped

LMS

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say P Ornata, I think they are gorgeous ones, get rather large and arent too expensive. Usually around $40 which isnt too bad, I dont think, with experience, you will have it die on you. (Knock on wood)

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would go with a P. regalis. They are relatively common but are very attractive. The are the only "Pokie" that sports a horzontal cream band on the underside of their opsthosoma. And yeah are pretty affordable.

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh yeah stay away from P. metallica. Awesome but super expensive. try a couple before buying a gem

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 1st 2 T's are my p. metallica's. Imo, each Pokie is beautiful in their own way.

If one is determined to learn what is needed and respect those needs and if you can afford it... get what you want.