First pede!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Well I made the jump, while making one of my tarantula orders I got a freebie approx. 8" Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani. This thing is just wicked looking and fast! I have it in a lightly vented gallon sized container, about 4" of coco fiber, an inch of Moss and a water dish, with a hide. Sound about right?

It's crazy how this guy moves when he decides he's going somewhere, very interesting critter

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Keep an eye my man, uh, those are badass, and I mean badass. The only invert that in 25 years of buggers managed to wake me up at 6 in the morning for one of his/her escape attempt :-s

Lately disappeared (I have a S.subspinipes btw). I've checked and the centipede is enjoying a quite annoying life under the cork bark, mah :)

Pre molt or who knows, probably.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
They can stand up on the last two or three segments of their body so it can easily get out of a gallon container with 4" of sub when you open the lid.
Also If I read right they recently became their own species so its just Scolopendra dehaani.
Post #3
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/scolopendra-subspinipes-and-scolopendra-dehaani.274669/
Oh believe me I've got that lid screwed on tight! I'm actually looking around for a nice tall clear container I can use for it, the one I have now isn't quite wide enough either, its a temporary home until I find something, might just end up using one of my twenty something quart containers, just not drilled as much.

Truthfully I expected the size to be MUCH smaller, I was expecting 4" Or so and got a nice big boy/girl, Hense the improper enclosure, but I'll rig something up here shortly

20160921_190934.jpg

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You skipped OW Ts and went straight to this brutal alien?!
Better find a suitable Alcatraz like enclosure soon.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Great specimen and, Christ, such a freebie :)

In general freebies are P.cambridgei, L.P and such, lovely local bikes :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
for free!? what luck! awesome pede man, picked up my first as well a couple weeks ago and its now my favorite invert! very enjoyable critter. mines a 5-6" S. alternans btw, in almost the same set up.
@shining do pedes need a water bowl?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Like mine. So far:
Chris LXXIX 4
S.subspinipes 0 (but with the belly full of B.dubia)
u_u
Yes, always make sure its belly is full....always.

I recently planted some Avena sativa in my pedes viv. That wasn't scary at all.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
for free!? what luck! awesome pede man, picked up my first as well a couple weeks ago and its now my favorite invert! very enjoyable critter. mines a 5-6" S. alternans btw, in almost the same set up.
@shining do pedes need a water bowl?
In the short time I've kept centipedes I haven't seen any drink from their waterbowls. I believe it's more for the sake of humidity gradient that they appreciate.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
In the short time I've kept centipedes I haven't seen any drink from their waterbowls. I believe it's more for the sake of humidity gradient they appreciate.
Oh nice! I didn't know that, I just read to have a water dish in there with them. I was a little apprehensive when nunoski told me he would send me a free pede, and when i saw the species, but man its so cool now that it's here, I'm very glad he sent it.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
You skipped OW Ts and went straight to this brutal alien?!
Better find a suitable Alcatraz like enclosure soon.
Haha hey I've had my C. Darlingi about two days now! ;) lol

First OW and first pede same weekend, I felt I was confident in my readiness :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you'll be fine, IME pedes and scorps are much easier to rehouse then tarantulas. they cant climb smooth surfaces so all you need to do is do the rehouse inside of a big deep shoebox. zero chance of escape.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
you'll be fine, IME pedes and scorps are much easier to rehouse then tarantulas. they cant climb smooth surfaces so all you need to do is do the rehouse inside of a big deep shoebox. zero chance of escape.
That's exactly what I did, did all my work in a big rubber made tub :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I do have a question as far as ventilation goes, I know these guys love a high humidity level, so I placed 5 approx 3-4 mm holes in the top of the enclosure, it just seems like that's not enough, could be wrong as this is my first pede, but should I add more ventilation to the top? Or possible a tad bit of cross ventilation? Or is that a proper amount?

I've also read online that you should mist the sides of the enclosure once or twice a week, is this correct? I'm so worrysome of mold haha

Scoly

Arachnobaron
In the short time I've kept centipedes I haven't seen any drink from their waterbowls. I believe it's more for the sake of humidity gradient that they appreciate.
They do drink from their water bowls, adults and pedelings alike. Perhaps if the humidity is really high then they won't need to. A water dish won't make any difference to humidity in a set up with that much moss and moist soil, but in a small deli box with just holes for ventilation it makes all the difference.

Also, you really do need a bigger set up. These are active predators which dig, climb and roam.