First pede!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
They do drink from their water bowls, adults and pedelings alike. Perhaps if the humidity is really high then they won't need to. A water dish won't make any difference to humidity in a set up with that much moss and moist soil, but in a small deli box with just holes for ventilation it makes all the difference.

Also, you really do need a bigger set up. These are active predators which dig, climb and roam.
Oh I'm planning on it. My only fear with one of my regular large enclosures is it has the snap locks on the sides with the handles, but I don't quite trust the security in the middle, I'm afraid the pede could shimmy out. The large ones I have now are about 20 inches tall

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I do have a question as far as ventilation goes, I know these guys love a high humidity level, so I placed 5 approx 3-4 mm holes in the top of the enclosure, it just seems like that's not enough, could be wrong as this is my first pede, but should I add more ventilation to the top? Or possible a tad bit of cross ventilation? Or is that a proper amount?

I've also read online that you should mist the sides of the enclosure once or twice a week, is this correct? I'm so worrysome of mold haha
That doesn't sound anywhere near enough. You ideally want a big enough enclosure with enough ventilation for the surface of the substrate to be relatively dry, but have plenty moisture deeper and under hides which retain moisture, like a flat stone, or a partially buried bit of wood. Mould under ground is inevitable and not really an issue.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They do drink from their water bowls, adults and pedelings alike. Perhaps if the humidity is really high then they won't need to. A water dish won't make any difference to humidity in a set up with that much moss and moist soil, but in a small deli box with just holes for ventilation it makes all the difference.

Also, you really do need a bigger set up. These are active predators which dig, climb and roam.
I didn't say that they did not drink from them just that I haven't seen mine drink from them. I'm sure the water bowl in any enclosure adds to the humidity in the general vicinity of the dish, how much of a difference is debatable.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I do have a question as far as ventilation goes, I know these guys love a high humidity level, so I placed 5 approx 3-4 mm holes in the top of the enclosure, it just seems like that's not enough, could be wrong as this is my first pede, but should I add more ventilation to the top? Or possible a tad bit of cross ventilation? Or is that a proper amount?

I've also read online that you should mist the sides of the enclosure once or twice a week, is this correct? I'm so worrysome of mold haha
I'm not sure if I can help you much because, unlike for T's, I'm pretty new as well to centipedes (not even six months) anyway I have drilled holes in the sides as well (mine is housed into a plastic enclosure). I keep the substrate (Irish peat moss btw) moist, a bit let's say more moist than my average tropical T's but still not wet. A water dish, a piece of cork bark (I can say that mine loves that ah ah) and sphagnum here and there. Done.

No mold so far (ASAP I remove B.dubia remains).

Here my set up:

thumbnail_DSC_0649.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That doesn't sound anywhere near enough. You ideally want a big enough enclosure with enough ventilation for the surface of the substrate to be relatively dry, but have plenty moisture deeper and under hides which retain moisture, like a flat stone, or a partially buried bit of wood. Mould under ground is inevitable and not really an issue.
would you say the same set up is ok for a roughly 5" pede??

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm not sure if I can help you much because, unlike for T's, I'm pretty new as well to centipedes (not even six months) anyway I have drilled holes in the sides as well (mine is housed into a plastic enclosure). I keep the substrate (Irish peat moss btw) moist, a bit let's say more moist than my average tropical T's but still not wet. A water dish, a piece of cork bark (I can say that mine loves that ah ah) and sphagnum here and there. Done.

No mold so far (ASAP I remove B.dubia remains).
do they really leave something like a bolus? i thought they just ate everything..

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
@magicmed

I have a pedeling in a similar container and I've found that I needed plenty of vent holes to prevent stagnant air, mold, and the ability to dry out the top layer.

Here's some pics.
20160921_190244.jpg 20160921_190232.jpg
The left and right as well as back side have rows of cross ventilation while the front was left untampered with for viewing.

20160921_190158.jpg 20160921_190343.jpg
I also lightly mist once or twice a week and keep a little water dish filled.

My big S. dehaani is right under in those pics. It's a metal screen and I stopped using a big piece of plexiglass to restrict airflow as my plants started to die and fungus gnats infiltrated. I mist this enclosure daily and added a plant growth light and the plants and pede are happy. I actually see my pede more now since I've added to the ventilation.

Last edited:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
@magicmed

I have a pedeling in a similar container and I've found that I needed plenty of vent holes to prevent stagnant air, mold, and the ability to dry out the top layer.

Here's some pics.
View attachment 220957 View attachment 220958
The left and right as well as back side have rows of cross ventilation while the front was left untampered with for viewing.

View attachment 220959 View attachment 220960
I also lightly mist once or twice a week and keep a little water dish filled.

My big S. dehaani is right under in those pics. It's a metal screen and I stopped using plexiglass to restrict airflow as my plants started to die and fungus gnats infiltrated. I mist this enclosure daily and added a plant growth light and the plants and pede are happy. I actually see my pede more now since I've added to the ventilation.
Is that a 10 gallon with screen lid? I have like 3 extra 10 gallons, I just figured the screen lid would be a no go. Can they not "chew" through it?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah :) completely different like T's boluses but there's always those sort of B.dubia "wings" etc lol
Hahaha. I find wings everywhere in there, legs and faces sometimes too. Also the white poo logs my springtails seem to like.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is that a 10 gallon with screen lid? I have like 3 extra 10 gallons, I just figured the screen lid would be a no go. Can they not "chew" through it?
It's a 20 tall with a metal screen lid. I'm sure it could chew through it over a long period of time if it could even reach it.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
probably if it ever reached it.
Exactly.

I had mine in a 10 gallon with adequate substrate level and when I walked back in the room it was scaling the screen lid. Nope, nope, nope! Did not like that one bit so he got a luxurious crib where he'll never reach the lid (sealant is scraped too).

Scoly

Arachnobaron
That is a good set up, and wise advice. Stagnant conditions aren't good and I wonder how many pedes die because they're kept in near air-tight containers with 95% humidity.

One trick I use is to place 1-2cm of damp soil + moss in the bottom of the jar, then cut out a piece of plastic bag to place over it, with a hole on one side, then cover with dry substrate. The dry stays dry and the wet stays wet, this means there will always be dampness available to the centipede, without making the cage stagnant.

Ps: for anyone else reading this: holes drilled on the side is fine in a pedeling tub, but remember this essentially gives the centipede a ladder up to the edge (if the holes are close together) so is best avoided. I have a cage with lots of vent holes in the side and if I turn my back while feeding she's over the edge (luckily she's a "pick me up, put me back in type girl")