First OW's

ColRolo

Arachnopeon
My First Old Worlds where:

2 Pterinochilus murinus (OBT) 1 UMV and 1 DCF
1 Poecilotheria regalis
1 Poecilotheria striata

Id been keeping new worlds about two years before I got these. I was still shocked at the lightening speed of both of these. Even after watching many videos nothing prepares you for the impressive speed first hand.
Had one OBT up the side of the bath and on the wall before i could react and get the catch cup. First time ive had one climb out the bath was most impressed. The regalis did about three laps of the new enclosure in what seemed like the blink of an eye. I have to move it to its forever home when it comes this month going to be fun.

Have plenty more OW's now but thats where I started. I would deffo go for a Monocentropus balfouri they are stunning only spider I have too confirmed females off. Ones really docile the other a complete nutcase.

Steve1698

Arachnopeon
I was still shocked at the lightening speed of both of these. Even after watching many videos nothing prepares you for the impressive speed first hand.
This!!! I don't know if I was entirely ready for a pokie, but after a 2.75 inch p.metallica showed up on my local classifieds last month for $90 I didn't think twice about going and picking it up. Rehousing went surprisingly well. I had watched plenty of videos and read about how fast these can be, but seeing it in real life is something entirely different. After the rehousing I made the bad decision to move the little tree I put in there, just a bit, cause I didn't like how it was sitting. She was on the glass and went from one side of the enclosure to the other, then up and out in the blink of an eye. She stopped right on the outside of the enclosure, thankfully, where I casually cupped her and guided her back in, definitely could have been worse. Their speed will give you a whole new respect for these animals real quick! I've seen her do laps around her enclosure a couple times like you described with your regalis. This is my first OW and Aboreal so I'll refrain from trying to give advice to the OP, however, it's always safe to say that regardless of species always be prepared, stay calm and don't over-react! Happy keeping and stay safe!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Id been keeping new worlds about two years before I got these. I was still shocked at the lightening speed of both of these. Even after watching many videos nothing prepares you for the impressive speed first hand.
Had one OBT up the side of the bath and on the wall before i could react and get the catch cup.
nothing prepares you. This is why experienced keepers are always saying "Don't jump into these, get some experience"

Eddie789

Arachnopeon
In my case about eight years ago I was new to t keeping. I had jumped on several NW and my breeder threw in an OBT sling. I had no clue as to what I was getting into!
At first it was ok didn’t really move much maybe because it was stressed... a few weeks later I had opened the container to feed it and it ended up on the other end of the room in the blink of an eye! Yeah I was amazed yet shocked as to what had just happened. Luckily had a catch cup nearby but as I would approach he would threat posture. Several feedings later and few more threat postures I finally ended up selling him to a buddy of mine who was familiar with t keeping. I just couldn’t handle him as a “beginner”. I almost felt bad because it was my fault for not doing my homework beforehand.
I currently don’t have any OW T’s. I’m more comfortable with NW species but I’m not opposed to getting some in the near future.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
My only 2 OWs are from the Poecilotheria genus: 1 grown 0.1 Poecilotheria regalis (absolutely fell in love with this one) and 1 Poecilotheria metallica sling/almost juvie. I still see an OBT and maybe even a M. balfouri communal in my future...

While I have currently no experience with other OW species, I have only positive things to say about Pokies. Easiest rehouses I've ever had, stunning to look at and a delight while stalking prey. If they are not on your list already, maybe they will be in the future? ;)

Regalis.jpg

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
My only 2 OWs are from the Poecilotheria genus: 1 grown 0.1 Poecilotheria regalis (absolutely fell in love with this one) and 1 Poecilotheria metallica sling/almost juvie. I still see an OBT and maybe even a M. balfouri communal in my future...

While I have currently no experience with other OW species, I have only positive things to say about Pokies. Easiest rehouses I've ever had, stunning to look at and a delight while stalking prey. If they are not on your list already, maybe they will be in the future? ;)

View attachment 371474
They are! But I didn’t think they’d be good for first OWs.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
They are! But I didn’t think they’d be good for first OWs.
Everyone will have a different experience, but for me it was a great fit. IMO, if we're talking OBT, might as well throw in Pokies? :)
I got 1 threat pose from my P. metallica sling, because it was in premolt and really not in feeding mood (molt was 1 day later). Besides that, I have had the most pleasant time with Pokies, up until now. My P. irminia has been a real troublemaker compared to them...

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I live in Bavaria...
Poecilotherias are forbidden to keep. I know this rule is absolutely stupid, but in order not to endanger the hobby even more, I stick to it...

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Well after much more thought and speaking with several keepers on here that I respect, I’ve rewrote my list and I’m stickin to it. I assume flack will be sent my way by some, but as with most things in life, not everyone will agree with your decisions. That’s a-okay in my book.

1x I. Mira
1x P. Metallica
1x P. Striata

and it wouldn’t be a solid order without a freebie so the wife is getting the N. Tripepii.

Thank you to all who came on here and helped guide my decision making process. I appreciate both the opinions for and against! Also thank you to those that I spoke with outside of here to help with advice and some valuable insights.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Well after much more thought and speaking with several keepers on here that I respect, I’ve rewrote my list and I’m stickin to it. I assume flack will be sent my way by some, but as with most things in life, not everyone will agree with your decisions. That’s a-okay in my book.

1x I. Mira
1x P. Metallica
1x P. Striata

and it wouldn’t be a solid order without a freebie so the wife is getting the N. Tripepii.

Thank you to all who came on here and helped guide my decision making process. I appreciate both the opinions for and against! Also thank you to those that I spoke with outside of here to help with advice and some valuable insights.
You won’t regret the decision, Pokies are a league of their own in beauty. I promise you won’t stop with those 3 species, it will feed the passion.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
You won’t regret the decision, Pokies are a league of their own in beauty. I promise you won’t stop with those 3 species, it will feed the passion.
Skip the Metallica and get a Ruflilata. I'd only get a striata if it is a deal, otherwise, just get a regalis. That's just my 2 cents. I think Metallica are overhyped and rufilata are under hyped

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Skip the Metallica and get a Ruflilata. I'd only get a striata if it is a deal, otherwise, just get a regalis. That's just my 2 cents. I think Metallica are overhyped and rufilata are under hyped
The Metallica is what got me into T’s in the first place so it holds a special place in my heart. I honestly would like both, and I see that happening in the future. The rufilatas are indeed gorgeous, and another big one on my list is the Subfusca LL.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The Metallica is what got me into T’s in the first place so it holds a special place in my heart. I honestly would like both, and I see that happening in the future. The rufilatas are indeed gorgeous, and another big one on my list is the Subfusca LL.
For me I think maybe a subfusca and a formosa are all that I have left in the bucket list
It's funny I could have purchased a 4-5" female metallica in an enclosure for around $200 and I passed

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I live in Bavaria...
Poecilotherias are forbidden to keep. I know this rule is absolutely stupid, but in order not to endanger the hobby even more, I stick to it...
Is that just in Bavaria, or other parts of Germany too? It makes sense if they are wild caught, but from a breeder I don't see the problem. Unfortunately most Aphonopelma species in Europe are wild caught and I try to avoid wild caught animals. I guess there's a similar situation with pokies...

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Is that just in Bavaria, or other parts of Germany too? It makes sense if they are wild caught, but from a breeder I don't see the problem. Unfortunately most Aphonopelma species in Europe are wild caught and I try to avoid wild caught animals. I guess there's a similar situation with pokies...
They are considered "dangerous animals" and are therefore not allowed to be kept. In other parts, new bans have recently been added. In Lower Saxony, keeping spiders may be completely banned! In NRW, Stromatopelma, Poecilotheria and Perinochilus have now been banned in the area of tarantulas ... A really bad development, but there are also many stupid and irresponsible owners who ruin the hobby!

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
They are considered "dangerous animals" and are therefore not allowed to be kept. In other parts, new bans have recently been added. In Lower Saxony, keeping spiders may be completely banned! In NRW, Stromatopelma, Poecilotheria and Perinochilus have now been banned in the area of tarantulas ... A really bad development, but there are also many stupid and irresponsible owners who ruin the hobby!
Where can you check for NRW? Thx

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
OBTs are awesome and I think are a good first choice for an OW tarantula. I know that a few people disagree, but I think that as long as you have some experience and have done your research so that you know what to expect, you'll be fine. Beautiful, fantastic webbers, and very easy care requirements.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
So unfortunate how a few idiots have to ruin things for everyone else, especially people who are responsible.

hestoncv

Arachnosquire
Isn't it hilarious when the government thinks it knows better than you