First OW's

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
And ill make the same argument I've made countless times before: an entire continent of people with many thousands of T keepers are physically unable to get that experience beforehand, yet seem to be able to start out with OW's near flawlessly. I would know, its my home.
And I'll make the same jokey response of "Yeah but when you live in a country where most of the indigenous fauna can kill you then getting an OW tarantula is basically the equivalent of getting a NW beginner species" :troll:

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
You held out longer than I expected, and I find that disappointing to say the least.

Agreed on decade biz.

Reasonable choices- but no I. mira--- I'm disgusted AND disappointed!

I've owned your 2nd two choices. I mira is far more interesting to own than the other 2. I see OBT and balfouri as almost the same, 2 heavy webbers, just different colors.
Lol well then I’ll switch out the OBT for I. Mira. I like the look of the M. Balfouri more, but eventually I’ll have both. May be able to get one as a freebie if I can find somewhere/someone that has all 4 of the species I’m looking at getting.

I found local sellers with all 4 but from 2 different breeders, so that kinda stinks.

A. Ezendami was on my original list, and I was talking to someone about buying his, but I decided not to because I really wasn’t interested in the species, just looking at it because others said it was good for beginners.

I would also say add I Mira to the list. My first OW was OBT, I was about 4 months in as well. Everyone says Augacephalus Ezendami is among the best for beginners- I really want one but don't have one yet. If you can find it, maybe consider that. I can tell you do your research, but the main thing is that you're going to have to do 3 times the rehousings. I think you'll be fine, but the speed really is no joke. I think you have a stirmi- I feel like that will give you as much trouble as any OW.
Yes I have a Stirmi, and she’s a train. The Mack truck of our collection. She eats like there’s no end to her hunger, and she’s faster than I had expected for their size. She’s a nut.

I will do what I can control for the rehousings. I understand and expect there to be bolting, teleporting speeds. Again, I think doing it will teach me best. I may not do all 3 purchased at once, haven’t decided completely on that yet. But have no fear @viper69, I’ll start with an I Mira if I only get 1 😂

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
And I'll make the same jokey response of "Yeah but when you live in a country where most of the indigenous fauna can kill you then getting an OW tarantula is basically the equivalent of getting a NW beginner species" :troll:
At the very least, we don't have giant bulletproof mammals capable of killing large crowds in seconds ;) worst thing most of us idiots down here worry about is magpies and yard prickles (we call em bindies and they hurt like hell under your feet)

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
At the very least, we don't have giant bulletproof mammals capable of killing large crowds in seconds ;) worst thing most of us idiots down here worry about is magpies and yard prickles (we call em bindies and they hurt like hell under your feet)
46813A40-6EA9-48BA-94CE-EFA3BAEDCDBE.jpeg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I just got reminded of that pic that does the rounds on social media now and again of Bindi Irwin holding a big bottle of Bindii Kill :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
A. Ezendami was on my original list, and I was talking to someone about buying his, but I decided not to because I really wasn’t interested in the species

Yes I have a Stirmi, and she’s a train. The Mack truck of our collection. She eats like there’s no end to her hunger, and she’s faster than I had expected for their size. She’s a nut.
Wow, I find A Ezendami to be gorgeous. I don't have a stirmi but I have an apophysis juvenile and it is insanely fast and bolty. Among my craziest

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Wow, I find A Ezendami to be gorgeous. I don't have a stirmi but I have an apophysis juvenile and it is insanely fast and bolty. Among my craziest
They are neat, and I'll probably get one eventually, just didn't want it as my first if that makes sense lol.

All of the Theraphosa species just seem like beasts. Really can't go wrong with any of them. I'd like a blondi at some point, but for now I'm really enjoying the half-grown monster. Every time I go to feed her I start to open her enclosure and she sticks her butt up at me ready to kick, then I slow down and drop her food in. My new game is seeing how much crap she can fit in her mouth in one sitting.

Has your apophysis tried eating its way out of the enclosure yet?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I think any of the horns are great starters as their temperaments are on the low side for OWs

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
My darlingis are superfast! rehousing could be very hard work!
Mine too. As is my Marshalli, but they typically use the speed to flee to their burrow. They seem less aggressive than my OBTs are/were. I just rehoused my darlingi and it went pretty easy.
Both of mine are in the 3"+ DLS range.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Lol well then I’ll switch out the OBT for I. Mira. I like the look of the M. Balfouri more, but eventually I’ll have both. May be able to get one as a freebie if I can find somewhere/someone that has all 4 of the species I’m looking at getting.
I have a few of each of the 3 species, My favorite is I. Mira, feeding time is a blast because of the trapdoor attacks and you will love the blue feet. Balfouri IMO are a boring species that look great. OBT is super fast and beautiful. The OBT moves like a strobe light is on it if you know what I am saying, one second its there, next flash its turned around.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
The OBT moves like a strobe light is on it if you know what I am saying, one second its there, next flash its turned around.
I think an obt was the first ow I got years ago. It almost escaped on me while rehousing because I underestimated their speed . All three are great spiders, I think M.balfouri is the most beautiful of all three though.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
I bought an ezendami and a marshalli as my first OWs and they were both great. I highly recommend either of those as a first OW. I have had to rehouse the marshalli at one point and had no problems with her. The ezendami is one of the highlights of my collection. I love her so much. ezendami.jpg

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I have a few of each of the 3 species, My favorite is I. Mira, feeding time is a blast because of the trapdoor attacks and you will love the blue feet. Balfouri IMO are a boring species that look great. OBT is super fast and beautiful. The OBT moves like a strobe light is on it if you know what I am saying, one second its there, next flash its turned around.
I just spoke with the breeder we buy from and they’re going to see if they can get their hands on an I Mira for me. I think my list will change a bit. I know for sure I’ll get the Mira and the P Lugardi, and now I have to decide if I want to get the OBT and/or the M Balfouri or just wait on both.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I just spoke with the breeder we buy from and they’re going to see if they can get their hands on an I Mira for me. I think my list will change a bit. I know for sure I’ll get the Mira and the P Lugardi, and now I have to decide if I want to get the OBT and/or the M Balfouri or just wait on both.
Everyone needs an OBT in their collection, I would both so you save on shipping.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
We’re getting them all local so shipping isn’t an issue.
Must be nice, lol. Alabama we only have a handful of keepers and maybe 3 stores in the state that sell a small selection. Covid has screwed the expos here and we never really had that many to begin with. I just support the forum members and trade or buy in the classified ;).

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Must be nice, lol. Alabama we only have a handful of keepers and maybe 3 stores in the state that sell a small selection. Covid has screwed the expos here and we never really had that many to begin with. I just support the forum members and trade or buy in the classified ;).
Fair enough. The breeders we buy from are on the classifieds, just also happen to be local lol.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Fair enough. The breeders we buy from are on the classifieds, just also happen to be local lol.
That is always a plus. No one likes paying shipping this time of year.