First OW's

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Howdy folks!

Well, the itch to pull the trigger is continuing to grow, and reading everything here about everyone rolling through and grabbing their first OW's, I'm just about ready to do it. From my perspective it seems like a lot of the reason it's such a big jump for new keepers is the "boogie man" effect. Yes they're venomous, yes they're fast, yes it is a big responsibility that you may never really know when you're "ready". Hey that sounds familiar! "I just don't know if I'm ready to have a kid." Well no one does, and those that think they are normally get a nice pimp slap of truth on that first diaper blowout or when trying to navigate salmonella and rota virus simultaneously (true story).

Anywho, here's what I've been thinking of getting as my intro to OW's. Yes, there are 3. As with most other things I've learned in life, I prefer to learn by submersion. In order to fully envelope myself in the experience, I have decided I'd like to get 3 OW's. Here's what's sitting in the shopping cart:

1x P. Lugardi - 3/4"
1x OBT - 1"
1x M. Balfouri - 1/2"

Okay, fire away ladies and gents. I expect a spectrum of responses, maybe a few "you're stupid"s, maybe some support. Either way it's ultimately my choice and I know the best way I learn, obviously never having the experience with these specific tarantulas though.

Something I would appreciate however is maybe some more constructive responses like, maybe you could switch out the ____ for the ____ for reasons x/y/z. Or maybe you've had one of the ____ and something you should know about them at that size is ____ and it's not a commonly known fact.

Maybe the way I chose these particular species wasn't the most orthodox or "ladder-y" way of doing things, but if you're gonna own an invert for possibly well over a decade, it sure as hell should be one that you want.

Alright, fire away!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Baboons are sick.
If you think you're ready, no one's gonna convince you otherwise. My only advice would be to start with one but that won't last.
Be careful and have fun! :)

Don't mess this up! :mooning:

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Baboons are sick.
If you think you're ready, no one's gonna convince you otherwise. My only advice would be to start with one but that won't last.
Be careful and have fun! :)

Don't mess this up! :mooning:
Thanks brotha! I don’t think I’m clueless going into it, so there’s that. It’ll be different but I’m up for the challenge. I’ll be the only one taking care of them, and I’ll be the only one in the room while that takes place. That way if I do screw up, only I will be the one punished lol.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I think I'd suggest a horned in there. P lugardi are pretty chill as well.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thanks brotha! I don’t think I’m clueless going into it, so there’s that. It’ll be different but I’m up for the challenge. I’ll be the only one taking care of them, and I’ll be the only one in the room while that takes place. That way if I do screw up, only I will be the one punished lol.
Just don't take any chances and you should be fine.
Expect them to bolt, work with the safety of yourself and the spider in mind and never underestimate them.
I wish you luck.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Plug all the drains. Shove towels in any holes and a towel under the door.:geek:
To prepare for this very thing, I bought a ton of different sized tubs just for that purpose, as well as "tarantula-proofing" the room. All cracks/doors/closets I installed a rubber seal to the bottom with a foam tube in the middle to make sure all space was sealed off completely. All holes and cracks filled with spackle or caulk. I even installed a lock on the outside of the door in case i have to run out of the room and the OBT tries to open the door.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
To prepare for this very thing, I bought a ton of different sized tubs just for that purpose, as well as "tarantula-proofing" the room. All cracks/doors/closets I installed a rubber seal to the bottom with a foam tube in the middle to make sure all space was sealed off completely. All holes and cracks filled with spackle or caulk. I even installed a lock on the outside of the door in case i have to run out of the room and the OBT tries to open the door.
Now note: Most of my OBT rehouses where not too dramatic. The one that was I had already finished the rehouse and should have walked away, but the spider had a bit of webbing and dirt on it from it's old enclosure. I should have let the T deal with it. Instead, since it had gone so easy I said "well let me just get that" That was the bolt. She escaped level one and was hiding under the lip on the outside of Level 2, I still had level 3 (Bath tub) and Level 4 (bathroom)

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Now note: Most of my OBT rehouses where not too dramatic. The one that was I had already finished the rehouse and should have walked away, but the spider had a bit of webbing and dirt on it from it's old enclosure. I should have let the T deal with it. Instead, since it had gone so easy I said "well let me just get that" That was the bolt. She escaped level one and was hiding under the lip on the outside of Level 2, I still had level 3 (Bath tub) and Level 4 (bathroom)
It may even be intelligent to stay at level 3 with some spiders even after long experience...

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I don't see any issues with starting out keeping OW's as even first T's as long as a keeper can form a good mental image of possible behaviour beforehand when managing these spiders. Mental prep helps immeasurably, as you don't panic when things go wrong and can react better to sudden bolts and threat postures.

"But Rezonant," you say, "that's a very irresponsible thing to suggest because online research only CANNOT replace prior experience with NW's".

And ill make the same argument I've made countless times before: an entire continent of people with many thousands of T keepers are physically unable to get that experience beforehand, yet seem to be able to start out with OW's near flawlessly. I would know, its my home.

I think the thing that we get the most annoyed about on here with new keepers starting out with pokies and OBTs is they all seem to never have done any deep research towards keeping them and often have the intention to handle them. What's more, like 8/10 of them react negatively to genuine constructive criticism.

I also get the perspective of "why jump in the deep end if you can start in the shallow end", but I won't deny someone who has shown sufficient evidence they are ready for OW's their right to do so

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I don't see any issues with starting out keeping OW's as even first T's as long as a keeper can form a good mental image of possible behaviour beforehand when managing these spiders. Mental prep helps immeasurably, as you don't panic when things go wrong and can react better to sudden bolts and threat postures.

"But Rezonant," you say, "that's a very irresponsible thing to suggest because online research only CANNOT replace prior experience with NW's".

And ill make the same argument I've made countless times before: an entire continent of people with many thousands of T keepers are physically unable to get that experience beforehand, yet seem to be able to start out with OW's near flawlessly. I would know, its my home.

I think the thing that we get the most annoyed about on here with new keepers starting out with pokies and OBTs is they all seem to never have done any deep research towards keeping them and often have the intention to handle them. What's more, like 8/10 of them react negatively to genuine constructive criticism.

I also get the perspective of "why jump in the deep end if you can start in the shallow end", but I won't deny someone who has shown sufficient evidence they are ready for OW's their right to do so
I’m all ears for constructive criticism. I also know I’ll learn all I can with the NWs I have already, but even then it’ll still be a different ball game with OWs. Best way to learn most things is through experiencing that thing. I know I’ll learn more by taking that step. It may be premature in some people’s eyes but like you said there’s a mentality portion to it that you really can put a timeline on.

If I feel at all unsure, it won’t happen. If I feel confident in my ability to adapt, learn, and grow then I’ll move forward. I constantly remind myself of successful Aussie keepers, and make the joke frequently of Aussie’s coming onto the site asking for tips on keeping their first T and it’s an S Crassipes lol. It proves it can be done.

All precautions will be taken that I can control. And as an added bonus I have the vault of knowledge and support from this awesome group on here. Plus, if I do get tagged, I’ll have a cool story and you guys will get to read an awesome bite report. Win-win. 😂

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
4 months or so. Have 13 at the moment.

I am gonna say your not ready, but some people start with them as first tarantulas. But if I were to recommend some beginner OW species, here they are: H. Pulchripes, C. Darlingi, M. Balfouri, I. Mira(trapdoor species).

The speed is not something to play with, just be on your game when rehousing and even feeding.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Howdy folks!

Well, the itch to pull the trigger is continuing to grow, and reading everything here about everyone rolling through and grabbing their first OW's, I'm just about ready to do it. From my perspective it seems like a lot of the reason it's such a big jump for new keepers is the "boogie man" effect. Yes they're venomous, yes they're fast, yes it is a big responsibility that you may never really know when you're "ready". Hey that sounds familiar! "I just don't know if I'm ready to have a kid." Well no one does, and those that think they are normally get a nice pimp slap of truth on that first diaper blowout or when trying to navigate salmonella and rota virus simultaneously (true story).

Anywho, here's what I've been thinking of getting as my intro to OW's. Yes, there are 3. As with most other things I've learned in life, I prefer to learn by submersion. In order to fully envelope myself in the experience, I have decided I'd like to get 3 OW's. Here's what's sitting in the shopping cart:

1x P. Lugardi - 3/4"
1x OBT - 1"
1x M. Balfouri - 1/2"

Okay, fire away ladies and gents. I expect a spectrum of responses, maybe a few "you're stupid"s, maybe some support. Either way it's ultimately my choice and I know the best way I learn, obviously never having the experience with these specific tarantulas though.

Something I would appreciate however is maybe some more constructive responses like, maybe you could switch out the ____ for the ____ for reasons x/y/z. Or maybe you've had one of the ____ and something you should know about them at that size is ____ and it's not a commonly known fact.

Maybe the way I chose these particular species wasn't the most orthodox or "ladder-y" way of doing things, but if you're gonna own an invert for possibly well over a decade, it sure as hell should be one that you want.

Alright, fire away!
You held out longer than I expected, and I find that disappointing to say the least.

Agreed on decade biz.

Reasonable choices- but no I. mira--- I'm disgusted AND disappointed!

I've owned your 2nd two choices. I mira is far more interesting to own than the other 2. I see OBT and balfouri as almost the same, 2 heavy webbers, just different colors.

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I would also say add I Mira to the list. My first OW was OBT, I was about 4 months in as well. Everyone says Augacephalus Ezendami is among the best for beginners- I really want one but don't have one yet. If you can find it, maybe consider that. I can tell you do your research, but the main thing is that you're going to have to do 3 times the rehousings. I think you'll be fine, but the speed really is no joke. I think you have a stirmi- I feel like that will give you as much trouble as any OW.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would also say add I Mira to the list. My first OW was OBT, I was about 4 months in as well. Everyone says Augacephalus Ezendami is among the best for beginners- I really want one but don't have one yet. If you can find it, maybe consider that. I can tell you do your research, but the main thing is that you're going to have to do 3 times the rehousings. I think you'll be fine, but the speed really is no joke. I think you have a stirmi- I feel like that will give you as much trouble as any OW.
Ezendami are extremely poor eaters IME as slings. If they get past sling stage they are great.