First OW T (new opinions)

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is the question:

What in your opinion would be the best choice for a first Old World Tarantula?

Now I know we have all read the First OW thread in the beginner's section, but that thread is now about 3 years old, and it seems that opinions have shifted. I can remember reading threads about Pokies from back then and alot of people seemed pretty scared of them, and it seems like that attitude has since changed. We have also seen many new experts on OW T's emerge in the hobby since then, also some of the people who posted back then now have even more experience, and I think it would be nice to see everyone's take on the subject today. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules by posting this...but I think enough has changed to make this a valid thread.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Some of the ones I think would make good starters.

P. regalis (or any pokie really)
E. pachypus
P. lugardi

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'll prob be getting an obt as my first owt, but i've been classfied as the brave/stupid type... {D

Last edited:

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm...not as many people jumped onboard with this as i thought would, but thanks for the input so far

Urbanspider

Arachnopeon
First OW

I've got a few OW Ts and I have really been pleased with the Chilobrachys species. They aren't really colorful (Fimbriatus excepted) but they are neat critters and have a subtle beauty. Although mostly obligate burrowers, I see mine on a daily basis, unlike my Haplopelmas. They do have a temper (like most OW Ts) but, in comparison, they seem more mellow than other OW species. I've kept Chilobrachys for almost two years now and have only had one good threat display (Fimbriatus). Give them enough substrate to burrow in and they are happy spiders. They also web alot and are good eaters. Try and get captive bred. I've had some trouble with wild caught and SSDS. Lost a Fimbriatus and a beautiful Huahini suddenly for no good reason (parasites, disease?). My captive bred specimens are doing well. Really neat spiders and they usually don't cost a leg and a leg and a leg either.

The Urbanspider

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Really, I find Ceratogyrus to be some of the most tame OW's. There attitude switches up every now and then, and you get some mean ones, but its not like they're any worse then Pterinochilus.

-Sean

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first OW was a hap species. Scared the heck out of me for the first few days then it settled in and I never had any trouble with her. I've also had a OBT and a P. regalis, they both were much easier then I thought they would be, especially the pokie.
I think as long as you know your limitations and the possible out come from not giving a OW the respect they deserve then any species would be good. You could also get a psycho rosie to practice with LOL.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my first OW is a C. bech. i named her Boi. it means hunger. its weird, her butt is scarred. she never webs. she goes thru the motions sometimes but there is nothing there. i should try to post a pic. of her butt. a T mooning.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. regalis or H. lividum

Some of the ones I think would make good starters.

P. regalis (or any pokie really)
E. pachypus
P. lugardi
I loved my E. pachypus... that is untill it settled in and made a burrow. That is one pet hole that I never see. Its fuzzy back legs were adorable and it had a very mild maner but it is the shyest of my spiders. If it was one of my only though... too boring.

I'd go with the P. regalis or H. lividum. Classic ... we all should eventually have one or both!

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Obt

OK, I have to confess that my OBT is the only OW species I have, but I love it. Great color, attitude, visibility. No tougher than my psycho rosie as long as I respect the speed! Also really an easy T to keep.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My 1st OW is a P.rufilata. Its still a sling right now it mostly runs and hides in its burrow when I open the lid. Course feed it and it will only eat them if they go near the burrow. Course I have some experience w/OW since my husband has had a few OWers in his collection over the past.

Now I have a C.schioedtei (shhhhhh don't tell hubby he thinks its his) sling and its great so far. Very hungry T as well :D

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm...not as many people jumped onboard with this as i thought would, but thanks for the input so far
the brave and stupid type usually die in the end, sorry mate lol;P just poking fun at another quote sorry...not to be taken seriously...kind of;)

.........ok seriously though, the stigma is dieing down with venom in general. as we are seeing more and more newbies educating themselves thru web-sites, forums such as this, and experienced hobbyists...people are just becoming more comfortable with T's and scorps of more significant venom..

you see thru education people are equipping themselves with the needed info(pros & cons, myths & facts)and are more open to the idea of owning such animals...don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean you should be giving a LQ to a kid just because he reads up on it but you are seeing more people owning them and why shouldn't they, LQ's are beautiful animals (remember its all about respect) soo its only natural that the idea of obt's, pokies, and the lot of owt's evolve as well. which is good to see.

anyways to the topic at hand.... The classic OBT is a great starter owt..very hardy and more forgiving to newbie mistakes...kinda like the G-shock watch commercial "takes a licking and keeps on ticking"..or something like that...or your classic pet hole(h. lividum) or several pokies (p. miranda, subfusca, rufilata) all make great introductions to OW's..... though miranda and subfusca are kinda pricey anyways thats my 2cents worth

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
old world

i have Haplopelma lividum,Citharischius crawshayi,Poecilotheria rufilata,Pterinochilus murinus,Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.don't know if Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is old world if it is i would say it was the best.if its not old world i would say Citharischius crawshayi is the best.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first OW T was an adult female P. regalis, I've since bought and OBT and H. lividum both adult females and I can quite honestly say I've never had any attitude from any of them.

regalis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first OW t's were P.regalis and P.lugardi females .Both not agressive..just fast..

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Pterinochilus lugardi hands down. IMO

you get Pterinochilus without the attitude.
and they are nice looking, but then I like natural wood, and the subtle beauty in animal fur etc.

none of mine have attitudes,

as for OBT it's a gamble, of the dozen or so I have/had a few have been completely psycho.

good luck

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first OW was a Pterinochilus lugardi. She is one of my favorite T’s she is very shy and once she was settled in to her burrow I pretty much never ever saw her again (which means she’s happy so no big deal…so I basically have a pet tank…. I’m not kidding {D ).

I will also recommend the P. regalis :drool: :} . They are beautiful, hardy, and cheap. You definitely see them out and about a lot more than the pet hole OW terrestrial T’s.

Steph