First molt with my first T!

bulbousbooty

Arachnopeon
I went to check on my Mexican Red Rump sling this morning and she had molted overnight! I was over the moon when I realized what had happened and oddly proud! It's my very first T and I've been so worried about getting everything right when it comes to enclosure size, feeding schedules and water. The fact that she felt comfortable enough to molt makes me so happy :) Thanks for reading and sharing in the excitement. What were your first molts experiences?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I went to check on my Mexican Red Rump sling this morning and she had molted overnight! I was over the moon when I realized what had happened and oddly proud! It's my very first T and I've been so worried about getting everything right when it comes to enclosure size, feeding schedules and water. The fact that she felt comfortable enough to molt makes me so happy :) Thanks for reading and sharing in the excitement. What were your first molts experiences?
My first Tarantula was a G. porteri. I still have her to this day. She came to me pretty battered from a LPS and one of her legs was clearly smaller than the other due to regeneration.
I had her for about a month or so and one day noticed she was doing some odd movements. I went to bed and in the morning I looked in and saw a freshly molted spider with the old exo next to her. I waited until later when she moved and started doing her post molt stretches (which last a while) and I got the old exo out.

Ever since that day (and after more molts) her leg is fully restored and you cannot tell which one it was that was regenerated.

cold blood

Staff member
Porteri as well. I woke up one morning to find her on her back. I didnt know what was going on, and i flipped her over and left for work. As im thinking, i realize it must have been molting....what did i do? Got home to a freshly molted t despite my efforts at thwarting her growth....that was like 15 years ago.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I got my first tarantula on Wednesday and it's already gone into premolt! that's a way to start me off, with the most stressful event in the hobby right off the bat lol. Let's pray she makes it through.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I got my first tarantula on Wednesday and it's already gone into premolt! that's a way to start me off, with the most stressful event in the hobby right off the bat lol. Let's pray she makes it through.
Molting is stressful? Try breeding lol. :astonished:

Molts never cease to amaze me, even after seeing dozens. You're in for a treat. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Molting is stressful? Try breeding lol. :astonished:

Molts never cease to amaze me, even after seeing dozens. You're in for a treat. :)
Right, molts are the most exciting thing about owning a t....growth and a brand new start....not to mention its the time the t will have peak feeding response.

I dont get the stress either, its not like theres anything the human can do, so why should the human feel stress.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hopefully she doesn't do it while I'm sleeping lol
I try to catch them starting their molt so I can make time-lapse vids. I can't watch the whole thing so I just watch the time lapse.

Right, molts are the most exciting thing about owning a t....growth and a brand new start....not to mention its the time the t will have peak feeding response.

I dont get the stress either, its not like theres anything the human can do, so why should the human feel stress.
All in all, molts are awesome. Especially since afterwards, you know you're going to have a starving t looking for some prey. :D

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

Ha! I bet you felt stress when your 1st beast was molting!
Anyway my first T, a B. albopilosum female, went into premolt about 2 wks after I got her. I freaked because she'd been eating like a pig. I woke up one day to find her molting. It was the most awesome thing I've seen re Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
Anyway my first T, a B. albopilosum female, went into premolt about 2 wks after I got her. I freaked because she'd been eating like a pig. I woke up one day to find her molting. It was the most awesome thing I've seen re Ts.
No, at the time my newbie self flipped it back over and went to work with barely a thought....oops, still molted just fine thankfully.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
PS. This is the yearly anniversary for Bratty Sue and I. That curly haired beast is my favorite and I love her.
Silly human.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

do you have a youtube channel or other place where you upload those videos?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
No, at the time my newbie self flipped it back over and went to work with barely a thought....oops, still molted just fine thankfully.
i think that's a good reason why tarantulas aren't good pets for kids. They don't know about molts. I've seen a lot of stories on here about professional owners who killed their first tarantulas because they either threw it away when they saw it on its back, or tried to feed it or touch it and ended up killing it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Right on! I've seen too many stupid adults and a lot of wise before their years kids.
It's a bit like guns. A kid can be more responsible with one than an adult if they don't know what they're doing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
They don't know about molts. I've seen a lot of stories on here about professional owners who killed their first tarantulas because they either threw it away when they saw it on its back, or tried to feed it or touch it and ended up killing it.
The worst molt story I've ever heard is when someone told me she had unwittingly killed her molting tarantula because she tried to pull off the "other tarantula" that had gotten into the enclosure and was eating her pet. (She didn't know about molting.) :bigtears:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The worst molt story I've ever heard is when someone told me she had unwittingly killed her molting tarantula because she tried to pull off the "other tarantula" that had gotten into the enclosure and was eating her pet. (She didn't know about molting.) :bigtears:
now-thats-a-level-of-stupid.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Got in the hobby around 2 years ago and I'm 14 as of right now. ;)

With adequate research, kids can get into the hobby too. :)
Theres exceptions to every rule. While its definitely true that some kids will handle it responsibly, the truth is that most dont do well with responsibility and probably should wait. But exceptions come along just often enough to make me smile.

@BobBarley , youre clearly more mature and level headed than the average kid your age, especially when it comes to critters.