First molt, Sucessfull. But One toe is disformed..(pics)

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
So I've had my tarantula (rose hair) for about 3 months now, and I came home today to see her in molting state (which explains why Isaw her making her web earlier).

The molt Took about 2 Hours, Everything is fine. she's moving around, Kind of cuddling with her molted skin at the moment :?

But I noticed one of her back legs is a little deformed.

Its the leg farthest from the camera, It seems to be about a Joint and a half of deformity..

Now, I know It probobly wont affect her, but Any idea why this would happen?
And will it clear up next molt?

Im waiting for her to Move out in the open So I can see it better, Maybee get some better pictures.

EDIT: Could it have been from there being crickets in the cage at the time of molt?

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Molt pictures

These have nothing to do with the deformed leg, I just want to show off :)

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
She's been Verry..Floppy. I'm taking out all the krickets from her Casa for the time being.

She's Seriously like, Twisting her body. Or was. Almost like an Arm stretch kinda thing, is THAT normal? Its my first molt im freaking out. Seriously, sweating because im so nervous.

Teensi WILL SURVIVE.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well this doesnt have anything to do with her leg, but that substrate is way too damp for a G.rosea. Also, having crickets in with a molting T can be disastrous. The cricket can kill the T, and in cases of smaller Ts, eat them.

In the first picture it looks like there is a millipede right by her last leg?

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Centipede, And I'll get the Substrate up to par.

The mealworms turn to beetles, The beetles (Hopefully) will eat the centipedes. there's like 5 in there..The Krickets(crickets?) have already taken a stab at them.

I'm new to the forums, I have ALOT to learn. =P

sja69

Arachnopeon
I'm new to tarantula keeping, but one piece of advice that I hold as high importance is to remove live food from enclosure while your pet is in pre-molt/molt/post-molt.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why on earth do you have that many live things in your tarantula?

Get them out ASAP. A freshly molted tarantula can be attacked by pretty much any bug with a mouth. Their body is soft & more importantly, their fangs are so, so they can't fight back & could hurt their fangs if they try.

Plus i'm guessing you got the centipede from outside & i'm guessing that might not be the only bug in there collected from outside. They could have pesticides & who knows what on their bodies.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
1. We dont Use chemicals on our lawn.
2. If My T were where it came from, Assuming Chile Since it's a rose From a PETSTORE were in its NATURAL habitat, would there not be bugs? Would there NOT be bugs???

Get real, There's 5 centipedes in the cage, They're totally going to Form a militia and attack.
They Served a purpose BEFORE I took the mealworm beetles out (dont know their actual name)...Now they are in there for safe keeping till I change the substrate. And Will probobly breed. Yay me.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. We dont Use chemicals on our lawn.
2. If My T were where it came from, Assuming Chile Since it's a rose From a PETSTORE were in its NATURAL habitat, would there not be bugs? Would there NOT be bugs???

Get real, There's 5 centipedes in the cage, They're totally going to Form a militia and attack.
They Served a purpose BEFORE I took the mealworm beetles out (dont know their actual name)...Now they are in there for safe keeping till I change the substrate. And Will probobly breed. Yay me.
1. Bugs can travel long distances.

2. If your T was in the wild, it probably wouldn't live as long as they can live in captivity.

Maybe they won't develop a militia, but what if they decide that a nice soft T leg would be a lovely snack?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1. Bugs can travel long distances.

2. If your T was in the wild, it probably wouldn't live as long as they can live in captivity.

Maybe they won't develop a militia, but what if they decide that a nice soft T leg would be a lovely snack?
Don't worry, he's new to the hobby and thinks he knows everything, even though he's asking for advice.

I think he forgot that a spider from CHILE (as he stated) lives in a DRY climate (hence the wet substrate).

I think he also forgot that a spider in its NATURAL HABITAT would have barricaded itself in its burrow before molting (or maybe he didn't know but thinks he knows since he's new to the hobby).

Make sense?

Nope, it didn't to me either.

To the OP: If you're going to ask questions and post pictures, be prepared to be corrected on all of your very obvious mistakes. If you can't take it, then don't post. Plain and simple.

That 'deformity' will correct itself in 1-2 molts, as already stated. You need dry substrate, and you should remove all the other animals you feel are 'ok' to be in there.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When they are freshly molted their legs are very soft so they can look deformed without being that.

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if it were a millipede, but aren't centipedes carnivores? But yeah, like everyone else has said, anything can harm your T while its in pre/post-molt. Anything. Especially a centipede or cricket. Just google centipede and tarantulas, they can and will definitely attack them. Just as well, WC feeders could easily have pesticides, just because you don't use them, doesn't mean they didn't come from just down the street, where any number of your neighbors could possibly use them, along with diseases, ect. It's not that hard to clean the substrate of pests, and its a lot better than waiting to find out if they'll harm your T.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't worry, he's new to the hobby and thinks he knows everything, even though he's asking for advice.

I think he forgot that a spider from CHILE (as he stated) lives in a DRY climate (hence the wet substrate).

I think he also forgot that a spider in its NATURAL HABITAT would have barricaded itself in its burrow before molting (or maybe he didn't know but thinks he knows since he's new to the hobby).

Make sense?

To the OP: If you're going to ask questions and post pictures, be prepared to be corrected on all of your very obvious mistakes. If you can't take it, then don't post. Plain and simple.

That 'deformity' will correct itself in 1-2 molts, as already stated. You need dry substrate, and you should remove all the other animals you feel are 'ok' to be in there.
"yeah man, I got 5 HeeYOOGE centipedes in mah cage, with only 15 black crickets, a salamander from under my neighbors pool, a wolf spider, 3 baby robin eggs, the gecko from the geico commercial and an orange sliced up all to feed them in my cage!"

:wall:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire

Make sense?

Yeah, I am new to the hobby. Get over it, Why attack when i'm willing to learn? So There's 5 (4 now that I fed one to my New spyder friend) centipedes in a 40 gal tank. One mealworm, One cricket. One T. oh my. Disaterous, Right? It's not like i'm keeping them in a Little Potatoe salad container Together.

And I'm currently attempting to dry the cage, May Have to get Whole new sub Though.

Note: She molted when the temp was 90+ (heatwave, Digital reading in cage was like 92)

And yes, they did snack on her leg.
If I had known or thought it was going to fall off, I would have moved her out of the cage alltogether into a little ICU container.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So There's 5 (4 now that I fed one to my New spyder friend) centipedes in a 40 gal tank. One mealworm, One cricket. One T. oh my. Disaterous, Right? <snip>
And yes, they did snack on her leg.If I had known or thought it was going to fall off, I would have moved her out of the cage alltogether into a little ICU container.

Why attack when i'm willing to learn?
How exactly are you willing to learn when you haven't removed the centipedes?

Enjoy. I think the one here who needs to 'get over it' is you.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why ICU??? that is only for very dehydrated spiders. An ICU can cause do more bad than good.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'm relatively new to the hobby also, but I can tell you that you definitely should NOT have anything in there with your molting T. They're delicate as they molt and could be killed. Why would you expose your T to such danger?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol some people....

Wachusaynoob, you dont seem very willing to learn when its obvious the bugs can and did cause harm even though its in a 40 gallon tank...
and might i ask why a 40 gallon tank? thats waayy too big imo. lol a 10g or less would suffice depending on her size... You know, you probably make her feel fat in such a big tank. Personally, I wouldn't go asking if she can still fit into her previous molt.

Now, i dont really know why someone would house centipedes with a tarantula... I could understand why you would crickets thinking 'omg its a green leaf eater' but in reality they are an oppertunistic feeder if there is nothing around to snack on. Also the crickets will bother the spider until its very stressed out, leaving it with insomnia, and very grumpy. (you also know that not enough sleep will end up aging faster :wall:)

Anyways, enough of my bad spelling since this little laptop doesn't have spelling check. Sigh. I miss it.

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Take out the centepedes. There is no reason for them to be in there. Crickets should be removed within hours if your T doesnt eat them. Dont try to dry out the substrate with the T housed in the cage. Remove the sub and toss it since it maybe contaminated with who knows what! centepede eggs and beatle eggs. Give her dry sub, a fresh water dish and a hide. And some MAJOR space. Then your T will be satasfied with you. People here on the boards have been keeping Ts for years not to mention learning all of the collective information from these boards along with a book i reccommend to you "the tarantula keepers guide for dummies"{D

Edit: id like to point out when i said major space i was referring to you letting her be alone to rest and recover from molting.

Last edited: