First Millipede?

7Fin

Arachnoknight
So,
I've done a bit of research on pet millipedes throughout the last couple of months, and I think I might get a millipede in one or two more months. I live in Ireland, which is fortunately close to the UK, so I have a broad range of millipedes to choose from.
I can get a big enough terrarium, humidity meters, heat mats, tempurature readers, a substrate mix of cuttlefish bone, coconut bedding, soil, and play sand. :3

I want to get a big millipede, simply because I want a pet with a long lifespan, and also just because I love the bigger species so, so, much. Giant African millipedes seem to be popular, but they are super expensive. I noticed the Cameroon Train Millipede, which are actually really cheap, despite being around the perfect size for me, and being very beautiful African 'pedes. (you guys say "'pedes" here, yeah?) I'm open to suggestions on other species that seem to suit me.

I don't have the experience to breed millipedes, I just want one as a pet that'll be with me for a long time given I take good care of it.

Any suggestions on how I should maintain the enclosure, how I should feed it, any other species that I should take into account etc.?

Jp1776

Arachnopeon
The tank should be twice the length and at least as wide as the millipede. I have rotting wood and leaves in my tank, along with some sphagnum moss. I give my guys fruits and veggies a couple times a week.

How about chicobolus spinigerus? I don't know how easy it is to get them in Ireland, but they're good for beginners. They're not very big but they are pretty active.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
How about chicobolus spinigerus? I don't know how easy it is to get them in Ireland, but they're good for beginners. They're not very big but they are pretty active.

And so, 7Fin's bias towards bigger species was lifted.

I've heard about those before. I think maybe I should get one of those first, and then later move on to bigger species. They are really adorable! :3 I love their stripes.<3 I heard that their substrate and humidity requirements are pretty fragile, any suggestions? Also, it is quite difficult to get these in Ireland. A breeder in the UK has them, but they are out of stock or whatever to I might just ask when they'll have more. I don't know about shipping from the US. I think it'll be too risky considering I'm prolly only gonna order one millipede. How long do they live? I don't really mind, but it'd be nice to know. I've heard people say they live about a year, and others say 5 years. ;>w>

Last edited:

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Narceus sp. are also relatively small, but have been recorded to live up to 11 years. Also very easy to care for and reasonably active. (Though I may be biased since I have a bunch of them and there's always at least a few crawling around.)

plumduff

Arachnopeon
Just wondering if you ever got your Pedes. I also live in Ireland and have just ordered my first ones - Mozambique Fire - which are at present stuck in the post over the weekend - which is making me very worried for their safety.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
Just wondering if you ever got your Pedes. I also live in Ireland and have just ordered my first ones - Mozambique Fire - which are at present stuck in the post over the weekend - which is making me very worried for their safety.
Nice to see a fellow Irishman who is also getting their first pede!

Haven't bought them yet! I'm just preparing things at the moment, I want to make sure that everything is perfect for them. I'm planning on getting one N. Gordanus and one C. Spinigerus. :3 In Ireland, I'd say the easiest way to get millipedes is to just ship from the UK. Try The Spider Shop, or BugzUK. (BugzUK has huuuuge amounts of species I've never even heard of). Right now we are having our Irish summer heat, so I wouldn't worry too badly about getting a heat pack. I plan to use this set up: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/future-set-up-question.295148/

I really hope your Fire milli's turn out ok! Very beautiful species. <3

plumduff

Arachnopeon
I ordered mine from Virginia Cheeseman. C Sprringerus was going to be my first choice from Spider Shop, but I noticed they were wild caught and it put me off. Probably stupid now that I think about it as they are probably a pest in California. Personally I think you will miss out on some of the fun of having these animals if you don't buy a bunch of the same species. I know that is so with keeping tropical fish, much more interesting when interacting with their own species. Keep in touch and let me know how you go.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Think about having a colony. A lot more fun. So many species to choose from.

plumduff

Arachnopeon
I was just reading your setup thread that you linked in your post. I would be wary of rhododendron leaves as the plant is toxic to bees and other insects. I know that the conservation people spend a lot of time and money trying to eradicate it. I would read up on it before you prepare your substrate.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I'm gonna go to an area where there aren't any of those in my little forest. Thanks!