First Millipede - Dead or moulting?

sophjb

Arachnopeon
I got 3 millipedes about a week ago. Two chocolates (One fully grown and one young) and one ringed millipede (Fully grown).

I keep them in a tank (Will update with dimensions later - I'm at work right now) with a large piece of cork wood, some dried oak leaves and a food dish. I use cocoa fibre for the substrate, which is about 2 inches deep. I feed them a variety of fruit and veg and occasionally some calcium. I have an undertank heater on one side of the tank (I live in England so room temp is just too low). I mist when the top layer of substrate dries out.

I've never had millipedes before, usually I have insects/spiders. All is going great with the two chocolates, but a couple of days ago the ringed wasn't moving much. I left him alone in case he was moulting. I did notice that his legs were moving a LOT but he was on his side/half curled into a ball.

Well this morning before work he wasn't moving his legs or body, I gave him a prod but he didn't move. I am hoping he's just having an awkward shed but doesn't look good. I heard they smell horrific when dead so if I get home and he's dead I'm sure I'll know.

Can anyone give me advice on changing my setup or anything? Should I include fish/dog food in their diet? If he is dead, what am I doing wrong? I even read somewhere that heat pads are bad for pedes? They also have no mites that I can see.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I think the under tank heater is a very bad idea. The substrate sounds lean. Some rotted wood mixed in would be good. Hope your guy is just molting. I have thought one was dead for two days and then discovered it was well. They don't always stink when they die.

sophjb

Arachnopeon
Thanks, but what should I use instead of a heat pad? My room is too cold on its own I would think.

I just saw him again, doesn't smell, doesn't seem to have moved. Is slightly curved and firm to touch.

First pic was him two days ago, second pic is now.

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thanks, but what should I use instead of a heat pad? My room is too cold on its own I would think.

I just saw him again, doesn't smell, doesn't seem to have moved. Is slightly curved and firm to touch.

First pic was him two days ago, second pic is now.
Could you use a small room heater? The localized heat on the enclosure can be very drying. Maybe even put some kind of second bottom under the enclosure. Use thermometers to make sure you don't get it too cold or too hot. Don't leave it to chance. Best not to touch him in case he is molting - they are very tender.