First Haploclastus devamatha

Mike R

Arachnopeon
I got my first Haploclastus devmatha today and I feel foolish to have ever called another spider bolty. I’m pretty sure I only managed to wrangle it into its new enclosure because it eventually wore itself out doing laps inside the outer enclosure I was using as a safety measure. Glad to finally see a tiny threat pose because at least it wasn’t running anymore, lol.

Added bonus, I feel more confident working with all my other spiders because good god, at least they aren’t this little guy.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Lol what you just experienced was a learning curve.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I got my first Haploclastus devmatha today and I feel foolish to have ever called another spider bolty. I’m pretty sure I only managed to wrangle it into its new enclosure because it eventually wore itself out doing laps inside the outer enclosure I was using as a safety measure. Glad to finally see a tiny threat pose because at least it wasn’t running anymore, lol.

Added bonus, I feel more confident working with all my other spiders because good god, at least they aren’t this little guy.
Oh lord, I have one of these coming. Do you have other OW? I'm wondering how it compares to pokies or OBT

Last edited:

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon

One of the quickest spiders I've owned, without a doubt. They will leave their burrow to snatch up prey, but good luck catching them do it. What I like about this and my aureotibialis is they build towering turrets.

Mike R

Arachnopeon
Oh lord, I have one of these coming. Do you have other OW? I'm wondering how it compares to pokies or OBT
I have some pokies (rufilata, regalis, tigrinawesseli), a juvie OBT, and some other 'baboon' OWs - I've never had any of them bolt as fast or as long as this little guy. I've had bolts but they were definitely more manageable than this spider. I almost wish it was a touch more defensive so at least it would threat pose and stay in one place long enough for catch cupping, lol. Doing the transfer inside another container that could close completely was a huge help with keeping him contained - I had an empty Exo Terra 12x12x12 I used. I actually had to just close it for a minute and let him settle down before proceeding. It's manageable with patience and preparation, I just wasn't expecting quite this level of speed. 😁

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It is quick, and fast, there is no doubt about it. That being said, ANY tarantulas can be quick, and fast just because they are able. If they are willing, they can be quicker, and faster at any given moment / time.

Of course you cannot predict how tarantulas will react at all times, but it is somewhat possible.

When threat is imminent, Haploclastus devamatha will likely to retreat into it’s turret burrow. It is very seldom for it to jump out of it’s burrow and start running.

When rehousing, it would be wise to let it retreat, then carefully remove / pull it’s turret burrow to locate the tarantula. How to go about rehousing is optional:
  • Put two enclosures side by side and gently nudge the tarantula to get into new enclosure.
  • Cup the tarantula, then replace it into new enclosure.
  • Put old enclosure into new enclosure (if it is bigger / larger) then let it out.
  • Everything else. Be creative, imaginative.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Ooh thanks for posting this! I want one, but it'll be a while before I get it. I hope my wandering spider and my huntsmen prepare me for this thrilling event!