First expo this weekend

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
This weekend there is a repticon expo coming to Atlanta, I've been planning the trip for a few weeks now, I'm excited to go. The wife bought tickets that get us in as soon as the expo opens, we wanted to get in to get first pick at all the tarantula vendors there, then look at everything else. I've made a list of the new worlds I'm on the lookout for.. (G. Pulchra*, A. Seemanni, B. Chalcodes*, N. Chromatus, B. Vagans, B. Albiceps, G. Pulchripes, C. Cyaneopubescens & C. Versicolor*) And hopefully I will see a few of my list there. I'm hoping to grab a few enclosures if they have any for a decent price too. I've gone as far as mapping out the tables in a journal and labeling the ones that will probably have Tarantulas. Lol. I am still pretty new to the hobby but my collection is growing, I have a 1/2 B. Hamorri, a 1/4 T. albopilosum, a 2" Avic and a 4" Avic. BUT, Are the husbandry needs the same with most of these specie's? I haven't done probably nearly enough researching, but maybe you guy's could help me where I'm slacking off. I know I'm not sure which specie's I'd prefer at what stage, I don't mind slings although I do plan on coming home with at least one adult. I've set a budget and I've set a bigger budget. Any thoughts or comments? What were your expos like?

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
IMHO the husbandry for the T's your looking for is pretty much the same...you can never go wrong with providing them w/air circulation (vents) and a water dish (cap). The following T's will need a different set up (kinda). I has my C. Cyaneopubescens in a terrestrial set up & C. Versicolor arboreal. Yet both will require anchoring points.

Not sure how long that expo is, but the 1st day is great for obtaining them hard to find species. While going the last day is the better for getting them sweet deals. The expo will also (normally) have the best deals in obtaining feeders, cork bark, etc.

Either way have fun!

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Have fun! Our Repticon here sucked, but I can image Atlanta will be so much better because you guys have a tad more people than we do.

Bring cash. Not all vendors take credit cards and you can usually get a better deal if you pay cash because they don't have to pay the CC fee. The budget comment made me laugh because I bombed all three times. NEXT time, I'm bringing cash only and leaving debit/credit cards at home so I have no way to go over. I have no self control. :rofl:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Spiderlings are basically going to have the same requirements - keep them in a bit cozier sized enclosures, give enough substrate to burrow, make sure you have lots of air holes, and keep the substrate damp. Feed pre-killed once, or twice, a week.
Juveniles/sub-adults/adults of all those species are kept drier, especially the Chromatopelma, with a hide and a water dish. The Aphonopelma seemanni needs the deepest sub and should be kept a bit damper. I would also keep the sub a bit damp in the Nhandu enclosure, but just around the water dish and a bit more.
Have fun and let us know how it goes!

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Update: the expo was awesome, I'm just now leaving so no pictures atm but I'm leaving with 3 Ts, a versicolor sling, a confirmed female A. seemani and a juvie b. Vagan. Two came with their enclosures and the female seemani came with some sort of containers lol as well as some feeders. Only spent around $110 so today was a good experience! I'll post some pics when I get home but for now here's something really odd that one of the vendors had. It's a "double butt" gbb lol thought this was really neat! I didn't check the picture quality sorry if it's not the best.

Attachments

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
What the! That is SO weird lol.

Glad you had a good time! I just looked through the vendor list of ours tomorrow and I'm not seeing any T's at all. Booooo! Guess I'm gonna skip it.
Groan. The Biltmore one is so hit and miss. In November they had tarantulas everywhere and now nothing. Guess that's good for me though, I can't be tempted to purchase another.

@newscorpionowner I'd love to see this "double butt" GBB in another photo when you get it home.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Groan. The Biltmore one is so hit and miss. In November they had tarantulas everywhere and now nothing. Guess that's good for me though, I can't be tempted to purchase another.
I know right?! I was kiiiiiinda hoping you were going so you could tell me if it was worth it LOL!! Looks like the one in March has a lot more vendors, but I didn't actually look them up.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Yeah I only took the one photo, and my budget was spent, besides they say it's so rare I asked how much for it, out of curiosity and they shrugged and said $1000 so either they weren't serious or maybe it's worth it.