First darts!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got my first dart frogs today at Repticon. 2 Dendrobates tinctorius 'powder blue' juveniles. I am already seeing how they are addicting and quickly see myself getting more species. They are so interesting, I can't believe I didn't get one sooner!

2017-03-11_01-24-54.jpg 2017-03-11_01-25-20.jpg 2017-03-11_01-25-28.jpg [

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I would have a billion of these if it wasn't for the startup cost, by far one of the most eye appealing specimens to keep. Any chance we could get a pic of the enclosure? The leaf litter is teasing us lol.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Oh those are gorgeous!

I've been planning to own darts for a few years now, and am just about to recreate a tank for the third time! Grats on the pair! Agreed that we need enclosure pics!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is a chappy pic of the enclosure, I assure you it loos better in person. I am getting some stuff soon where I can add in tons of live plants. I have some springtails I am adding to it as well. It's a work in progress but it has the basics right now lol

2017-03-11_01-25-09.jpg

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And I like these frogs so much...I went out and bought another enclosure and laid the 'foundation' for when I get more. 20170311_210916.jpg

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! There's nothing like owning a little slice of rainforest at home. Got my first darts a couple years back and have since added an additional 6 enclosures and their occupants to my collection. I warn thee; building custom enclosures is extremely addicting...and expensive.

I highly reccomend the thumbnail dart frog family, their behavior is absolutely fascinatin, and they can be prolific. I once had a male caring for as many as 20 tadpoles throughout his bromeliads - and I was already in the process of raising his previous 30.

IMG_0735.JPG

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's beautiful! I read that the thumbnails aren't really great for beginners so I didn't get those. What kind of lighting do you use to grow the plants I ordered a top so I can add a light, just don't know which bulb is best lol!

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thumbnails were my first darts and I found them easy if not easier to keep than the tincs I had later on.This was in part because of the rich microfauna my tanks possessed being more than enough to feed these smaller bodied frogs. Coupled with a MistKing, automatic draining, and timers, all of which any dart frog enthusiast may wish to include in the future; it makes for a virtually self sustaining ecosystem. Of course, providing appropriately dusted feeders is still *extremely* important. So long as you stay away from the more rare localities and species you'll be fine, because the group does include much more advanced, and very expensive, frogs. They can be very fast and you do have to watch for escapees, but lots of plants means they'll dart to them for cover rather than bolting for freedom. There may be more risk if you have to open the tank often for hand misting.

As for lighting, the tank pictured was lit by 6 jungle dawn 13watt LEDs, 3 each set in 2 exoterra medium compact tops to provide maximum lighting. Here in Florida LEDs are pretty imperative if you want lots of lighting to keep things cool. I use jungle dawn LEDs in all my tanks. They're not cheap bulbs, but used properly they last a long time. (I still have the six, as bright as they were day one, 3 years later)

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! That sounds awesome, I want the thumbnails since they are smaller and do so well in groups, I feel like there would always be something going on in the enclosure!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got some plants today, and a growing light, the enclosure looks a lot better, and will look better and better as the plants grow in.
20170317_160510.jpg

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got some plants today, and a growing light, the enclosure looks a lot better, and will look better and better as the plants grow in.
You'll definitely want to keep some plants in there, as they'll help keep the soil (and vivarium itself) healthy long-term. It can be an addictive hobby, haha...I currently have 18 frogs and several vivs up and running.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
These are my largest two vivs:

Dendrobates leucomelas vivarium
24x18x36 Exo Terra

Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus' vivarium
36"W x 18"L x 18"H

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those look beautiful, I got two Azureus two days ago lol, this is all I can fit for a while though but they are so much more interesting than I would have thought

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those look beautiful, I got two Azureus two days ago lol, this is all I can fit for a while though but they are so much more interesting than I would have thought
Thanks man.
You'll be happy with the Azureus, being Tincs they'll act much like your Powder Blues. Though the Powders will grow up to be a bit larger than your Azureus.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, that's what I've read, I have everything setup and done. Got my new plants today so hopefully they do well!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, a lot has changed since I got those 4 darts lol. I've decided to go all out and build a 18x18x24 vivarium complete with a custom background. I'll be putting a group of Ranitomeya variabilis in here. I've got the first order of plants in, waiting on the next order to come now. 20170518_205230.jpg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Very impressive! How does watering work, and what's lighting like? Thinking of starting something like this myself, though probably not for a while...

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The lighting is a 20 watt 16" mixed spectrum led with red and blue diodes. So far it seems to work well but I just put the plants in yesterday but I think it'll do well. I use a spray bottle to mist everything, I'm in my room a lot so I check on them often. You can get automatic sprayers though

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, a lot has changed since I got those 4 darts lol. I've decided to go all out and build a 18x18x24 vivarium complete with a custom background. I'll be putting a group of Ranitomeya variabilis in here. I've got the first order of plants in, waiting on the next order to come now. View attachment 240722
Nice viv; looks like some good plant choices. The two in the center, are what looks like a Schefflera arboricola and an Alocasia 'tiny dancers'. If so, both of those can get some size to them, and can be over-watered if one isn't careful. You might have to swap them out at a later point. The wood piece at the very top...is that grapewood?