First Communal. How big should the enclosure be?

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm picking up 3x Hysterocrates Gigas slings. My vendor has 28 for sale, still small about 1cm.

I have a 4cm Thailand Black, I got as a 1.5cm sling, that I absolutely love. So I'm no stranger to fossorials.

However, I want to cover all bases.

Is 3x the right amount? My biggest fear is that I throw a feeder in and they accidentally attack each other instead of the feeder. So I want them to have enough space and be well fed enough etc to avoid any intentional or accidental feedings. And 3x isn't that much. I know usually with communals when you add too many, they eventually do tend to kill each other.

So, with H. Gigas being able to swim, I was actually thinking of incorporating some sort of running water or 'swamp' like water system for lack of better term - or is this wasted on 1cm slings? Shall I rather wait till they are bigger to go that extravagant?

Your thoughts and opinions? Thanks.

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
I’n not good for tips feeding slings in a communal but a tip I can give is to wait until their larger to put in a water system.. probably would be easier in a larger space.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hi guys, I'm picking up 3x Hysterocrates Gigas slings. My vendor has 28 for sale, still small about 1cm.

I have a 4cm Thailand Black, I got as a 1.5cm sling, that I absolutely love. So I'm no stranger to fossorials.

However, I want to cover all bases.

Is 3x the right amount? My biggest fear is that I throw a feeder in and they accidentally attack each other instead of the feeder. So I want them to have enough space and be well fed enough etc to avoid any intentional or accidental feedings. And 3x isn't that much. I know usually with communals when you add too many, they eventually do tend to kill each other.

So, with H. Gigas being able to swim, I was actually thinking of incorporating some sort of running water or 'swamp' like water system for lack of better term - or is this wasted on 1cm slings? Shall I rather wait till they are bigger to go that extravagant?

Your thoughts and opinions? Thanks.
To be straight foward with you. Bad Idea all the way around.

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
Okay so now I'm annoyed.
The website I buy my Ts from literally says on there they can be kept communal. Why do they say this and spread misinformation?
It's so annoying now people like myself and other buyers get misinformation and not everyone goes on sites like this to get the proper info. Thanks for telling me before I actually bought it.

Must I email the seller and be like yo wth

Just so you know I'm not talking nonsense here

To be straight foward with you. Bad Idea all the way around.
Thanks. I'd rather appreciate a straight forward answer

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
There is no scientific evidence supporting communal Ts in the entire world.
Except for M. Balfouri. There has been enough people experimentally keeping them communal over the past years to draw a conclusion of scientific method that they can be kept communal and are a communal species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Except for M. Balfouri. There has been enough people experimentally keeping them communal over the past years to draw a conclusion of scientific method that they can be kept communal and are a communal species.
Not true...it's all anecdotal evidence. None of the so-called "data" was collected scientifically, but more importantly none of this data supports they live communally in the wild. Captivity brings out all sorts of behaviors with animals, humans included, that are not naturally occurring in the wild.

How are you accounting for the biggest variable (captivity) ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :eek:

Until there's a documented case on Socotra Island of true communal living, captive M balfouri behavior is NOT and NEVER will be proof of what is going on in the wild.

Last edited:

StellatheGBB

Arachnopeon
Because people will do anything for money.
True, sadly. The more mistakes a buyer makes and returns to a particular breeder, the more money that breeder makes. Internet purchases I think are more risky for this reason unless you've done lots of homework. And then you may spot misinformation more quickly.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a friend who bred a female in a large tank, got an eggsack and left the hatched sack in with the female. The offspring lived in there untill they where almost mature. How many he lost in the process i dont remember? This was 15 years ago.