First centipede arrival in a few days

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Mark you've seen mine its in a 15 gal hex and has tunnels throughout every inch of sub the barrel isn't' big enough except only in height.
I didn't think the dims of your hex was much larger diameter wise than the plastic barrel. Height yes, but diameter and circumference?

What kind of floor space should I look for without going overboard?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I didn't think the dims of your hex was much larger diameter wise than the plastic barrel. Height yes, but diameter and circumference?

What kind of floor space should I look for without going overboard?
I don't think you can go overboard to be honest. When I had my huge Hispanola giant red I had it in a 145lt RUB and it honestly didn't look too big.

You want to be aiming at minimum twice as long as the pede is and as wide as the pede is long. Obviously taller than the pede is long plus your substrate.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Any time you are going to open the enclosure, place it in a tall plastic tub. You have a secondary defense in case of escape.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Any time you are going to open the enclosure, place it in a tall plastic tub. You have a secondary defense in case of escape.
Well, I don't disagree because safety first, ok... but ain't that a bit exagerate? I completely remove the top, with tongs I clean, refill the water dish, and the centipede remain down under. They are escape masters, yes, this is a serious issue, just like the brutal venom potency... but IMO they don't are either the 'monsters' sometimes depicted :-s

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Well, I don't disagree because safety first, ok... but ain't that a bit exagerate? I completely remove the top, with tongs I clean, refill the water dish, and the centipede remain down under. They are escape masters, yes, this is a serious issue, just like the brutal venom potency... but IMO they don't are either the 'monsters' sometimes depicted :-s
In Chris I trust. You've never steered me wrong Bro.

When I do serious work, It's usually in a bathtub, in the bathroom with the entrance sealed.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Like most pets that can do you harm commonsense is needed that's all. To be honest I think once you're experienced with pedes you calm down a little. That's NOT becoming complacent but more comfortable around them. My little Scolopendra Hardwickei can at a push get out of it's enclosure when the lid is off. However a small tub lid placed in it's way stops it.

It's all about familiarising yourself. I do 100% though that like OW T's they're somewhat "demonised" and even overhyped in their behaviour.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Like most pets that can do you harm commonsense is needed that's all. To be honest I think once you're experienced with pedes you calm down a little. That's NOT becoming complacent but more comfortable around them. My little Scolopendra Hardwickei can at a push get out of it's enclosure when the lid is off. However a small tub lid placed in it's way stops it.

It's all about familiarising yourself. I do 100% though that like OW T's they're somewhat "demonised" and even overhyped in their behaviour.
I'm not nervous, just gathering info. I was nervous but ready before my MF P murinus arrived. Honestly she's a piece of cake (don't tell her I said that).
I also put notes on every container where there is something in there that do harm. Complacency will get you or someone else bit. A bite to the wrong person in my house could guarantee the loss of my collection.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In Chris I trust. You've never steered me wrong Bro.

When I do serious work, It's usually in a bathtub, in the bathroom with the entrance sealed.
Thanks man. But I have to tell you that (unlike for T's) I don't have that much of experience with centipedes. It's not even a year. Sure, so far no escapes nor issues, and my female was able to gave birth to pedelings in tranquility but still I'm learning all I can about those amazing animals :-s

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'm not discounting things others have offered. I look at it as a body of work. You all know more than me. I appreciate EVERY bit of input and welcome more. This is a good conversation for me.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm not discounting things others have offered. I look at it as a body of work. You all know more than me. I appreciate EVERY bit of input and welcome more. This is a good conversation for me.
Everyday's a school day. I've learnt loads since being here.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I advise universal precautions as an escapee could pose a threat to children, the elderly, etc in the home.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
growing up i always loved snakes, now i love spiders. centipedes are a snake with legs, perfect. :rofl:
these guys are cooler than tarantulas.(except Avicularia) shame theres not much breeding going on.

Last edited: