First breeding project! hell yeah!!

jb92

Arachnopeon
hi as some of you might know i aquired a mature male and femal haplopelma lividium about a month ago. well tonight i added the male to the females enclosure as shes quite settled in and he seems to be sitting on top of a destroyed sperm web :) when i added him he slowly made his way towards the female with a few nudges lol and after about 30 seconds he seemed to have managed an insertion before slowly retreating :D iv removed him now and im going to add him again on the weekend just to make sure. now all i have to do is hope his bulbs were charged and i get a eggssac. :) il post pictures of the next time he goes in.
thanks
jb

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Congrats :)

I can't wait to see pics! Hope it all goes well, and good luck. :)

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Good luck! My H lividum molted last week and I got a quick peek today. I think it's a MM now, pretty sure I saw hooks.

jb92

Arachnopeon
hopefully :) really excited now :L just one question, i want to incubate the egg sack myself if i get one as it can get busy in my room sometimes so i dont want her to be disturbed and eat the sac, how long should i leave her with the sac before removing it?
thanks
jb

jb92

Arachnopeon
well i added the male again today and he managed another quick insertion for a few seconds with one of his palps :D i have got a video but just need to upload it, it was rather fun this time as he managed to leg it out of the bath and onto the bathroom floor lol and he wasnt slow lol just shows how much respect these animals need as they are so unpredictable and carry a nasty bit.
thanks
jb

jb92

Arachnopeon
right well no sign of a sack yet but... the females abdomen does seem to be growing nicely and shes off her food. shes nowhere near a moult as shes only just moulted before breeding :) she hasnt burrowed a lot and is out often but i think this is due to how dark her enclosure is :), soo fingers crossed that i get a sac soon :)
cheers
jb

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you sure the mature male is an H. lividum?

Good luck! My H lividum molted last week and I got a quick peek today. I think it's a MM now, pretty sure I saw hooks.
Mature males of this species are sexually dimorphic. This means the male looks nothing like the female.

jb92

Arachnopeon
yer my male is just brown whereas my female is extremely blue and much stockier, :) hope this helps. fingers crossed for a sac now i m checking everyday :), any ideas on how long i should leave the sac with the female? i was thinking about a week as i want to incubate them myself to make sure the female doesnt destroy it.
many thanks
jb

Rob1985

This user has no status.
you should get in contact with HaploFool, he's in LOVE with the Haplopelma genus.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Promise me a free sling? <3 :)
considering he's in the UK, prolly not. :?

I am waiting on slings from someone myself...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yer my male is just brown whereas my female is extremely blue and much stockier, :) hope this helps.
jb
That doesn't mean he's a MM lividum. Mature males of the Haplopelma genus all look very similar, so I was just curious if you bought him as a MM or if you had him prior to maturing.