First breeding attempt - OBT's

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well tonight i attempted to breed T's for the first time. i had a F OBT molt about 3 weeks ago and a MM OBT just shipped who also very recently molted. i hadn't seen any obvious sperm webs but he is no longer aggressively attacking crickets and has spent the last several evenings doing laps around his house.

i put both of their enclosures inside a very large glass tank - opened the lids, turned out the lights and prepared to wait for some action. After a short while the male came out and made one big lap around the upper rim of the tank (with a lid on of course!!) When he got to the open lid of the F, she was very quick to join him up there. She was drumming a lot. That was so cool to see for the first time. :D

Anyway, she was more than receptive and he made several attempts. However, because of the angle they were at he wasn't quite able to reach her even though she was practically bent in half. They finally readjusted and i witnessed several good inserts.

i had considered just leaving them together in the large tank. However, as i watched what seemed to be a final and successful attempt, i noticed the male had his fangs out. Is this typical?

Also, as soon as they were finished they both seemed to just attack each other. i hadn't planned on having to interfer after reading so many reports of OBT's successfully cohabitating together for some time and this male will literally attempt to bite anything in his path, including walls!! i had a small flash light in my hands and was able to somehow separate them while my brother watched thinking i had truly lost my mind. :eek: Is this typical behavior of OBT's after breeding?

The female returned to her house so i removed her enclosure from the tank and put her back in my room. The male is still running around the large tank so i just stacked a couple books on the lid and i'll just wait for him to return to his enclosure on his own. Neither of them appears to be hurt. The female is in her coconut hut but is grooming so i take that as a good sign she is not harmed.

Should i even attempt to repair these two after their rather violent parting? He definitely had a few successful inserts.

It was all pretty cool until the end. i'm not even sure who went after who. One second they were fine and the next second it was just a ball of 16 legs rolling around. i didn't read about any similar situations in the breeding reports of OBT's. Any further advice?

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
both of my pairs are going on 3 weeks of being togather other then the males running like hell after mating ive seen no attempts by the 4 of them to make their mate lunch. as for the fangs being out and ready im not sure ive seen a time while mating that they not were up and ready. if you dont have another female id just coinhabit them let him get all he can while he can :cool: besides it will open up a cage and give you a reason to get a new T:clap:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dunno about OBTs, but that sound like mating my roseas. I didnt cohabitate. He is still up and running after mating several times with three girls. After the deed, the girl chased him off, but she didnt want to pursue. He had his fangs out and he groomed his palps. Before mating he did have his fangs out slightly but he never took action against the girls. I personally would put them together when he has recharged and she has been fed.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you dont have another female id just coinhabit them let him get all he can while he can :cool: besides it will open up a cage and give you a reason to get a new T:clap:
I dunno about OBTs, but that sound like mating my roseas. I didnt cohabitate. He is still up and running after mating several times with three girls. After the deed, the girl chased him off, but she didnt want to pursue.
LOL - please no excuses to get another T!!! :rolleyes: i do actually have another mature female who is premolt and not eating. i would love the opportunity to use this male with both girls if i have the opportunity.

Okay, well i supppose i can't blame the MM for having his fangs up and ready!! i know breeding always has the potential of losing the male and even on occasion the female. i think i was concerned because these two were in a total leg lock with each other after the deed and it didn't look too friendly. i honestly don't know what would have happened if i didn't interfer. Everything i had observed with the actual mating seemed to go very smooth and calm. My girl was very receptive as she came right out of her house and approached the male before he even started any drumming or behaviors i witnessed. They did the deed on the lid of the KK so i could hear all the drumming - it was very cool! :cool:

Mabye i'm just not cut out for breeding T's. i think i would have been more prepared to jump in and separate a less venomous T. My male is REALLY agressive as he has attacked and attempted to bite the craziest objects (ie: wall) before. i didn't want to lose my female to him. Looking back i think i was just real lucky he didn't run my way when they separated as he would have given me a nasty bite for sure. Part of the reason i chose to start with OBT's was from everything i read they often successfully cohabitate and are usually nicer to their mates compared to most NW terrestrials. My other reason for choosing OBT's is i just think they are beyond awesome!!! i have respect for OBT's but haven't felt too intimidated by them (i have 4) before acquiring this MM. He is a spastic speed demon and bites everything that gets in his path!!

i would like to re-pair them again. i just don't know that i feel confident enough that i can separate them again without getting tagged by the male. i think i was very lucky last night. i feel like such a loser!! i didn't want to breed because of delusions of making money - especially OBT's but any T for that matter. i've just really enjoyed breeding birds/parrots in the past and thought it would be really fun. i get so over the top about a molt; i can't imagine how exciting it would be to eventually get a viable egg sack!

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would wait a while then maybe you other female will molt and you can try with her. if you had fun watching the one time you would love to watch them coinhabit. i was watching one of my males follow a female around for 2 hours last night. she had just caught a cricket and didnt get a chance to eat it poor girl was just holding it in her mouth walking all over the cage while he followed rubbing any part of her he could get to.

i wouldnt give up yet

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would wait a while then maybe you other female will molt and you can try with her. if you had fun watching the one time you would love to watch them coinhabit. i was watching one of my males follow a female around for 2 hours last night. she had just caught a cricket and didnt get a chance to eat it poor girl was just holding it in her mouth walking all over the cage while he followed rubbing any part of her he could get to.

i wouldnt give up yet

LOL - that's so funny! {D Pushy boy you got there! i am definitely beyond facinated with all my T's. It would be awesome to get to watch them be so interactive. Even my niece and brother were both speechless last night as we watched the brief get together of the T's. Now i am really impatient for my other girl to molt because i think it would be really neat to watch them cohabitate.

Nobody's ever a little sad when the male meets his demise from the female?

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
opened the lids, turned out the lights and prepared to wait for some action. After a short while the male came out and made one big lap around the upper rim of the tank (with a lid on of course!!) When he got to the open lid of the F, she was very quick to join him up there. She was drumming a lot. That was so cool to see for the first time. :D

Anyway, she was more than receptive and he made several attempts. However, because of the angle they were at he wasn't quite able to reach her even though she was practically bent in half. They finally readjusted and i witnessed several good inserts.

Also, as soon as they were finished they both seemed to just attack each other.
Sounds almost exactly like my recent experiences. The last time, the female had her legs wrapped around the male. He'd've been a goner if her fangs weren't clattering against the flat end of a pair of steel tongs, hastily thrust between them. When the spiders seperated and she retreated, I had a lot of venom to wipe off them...

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When the spiders seperated and she retreated, I had a lot of venom to wipe off them...
WOW!!! :eek: i don't mind cleaning venom off of tongs - just don't care to get it injected into my fingers! Were those OBT's as well?

Too bad there is probably no way to know just how many opportunities males get to mate out in the wild before they are lunch. i wonder if it is just random depending on the temperament and mood of the female they are with at the time?

P.S. i went to Ireland 10 years ago and beyond loved it!! i didn't make it up to Northern Ireland at the time but plan on it when i return some day. i'm not real big on traveling and i truly did not want to come home! If i could have had my dog and horse shipped to me without the super long quarantine i just might have stayed until somebody kicked me out!! {D

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really don't know much about breeding or cohabitation, but reading this leaves me wondering how long do they cohabitate for, or how long can you keep them together like that?

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really don't know much about breeding or cohabitation, but reading this leaves me wondering how long do they cohabitate for, or how long can you keep them together like that?
i've read about OBT's in particular cohabitating from any where from a couple of weeks before the male gets munched to a few months when the male is removed after egg sack production. i was curious what the stats are for T's in the wild but don't figure anyone knows.