First Australian T, Any suggestions?

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Hi All

Looking at picking up my first T, just wondering if any Ozzy can recommend a good species to start off with as Im a total novice!

I have a 61 x 38 x 31 glass aquarium to start with, and any advice would be welcome.

cheers

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
i wont recommend keeping austrailian ts as your first t. Because :
  • They are old worlds
  • Most aussie ts are really bad tempered
  • most aussie ts like the selenocosmia sp. have potent venom

if you do plan to keep one make sure that you know what you are dealing with you should properly id it

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Phlogius crassipes are very cool man. i got 3 slings, the largest is 2in. you wont be disappointed

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
!!!!

Me and my fiance are from Perth and you can only have native t's... but depending on where youre from. Some pet shops carry a few other commons such as g.rosea like the shops out in joondalup carry a few goliaths. This probably won't help much considering i don't know where you're from mate but yeah goodluck finding something.=\

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

We were trying to import my t's and the Australian customs basically said forget about it before I could have send a list

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.

I'm wanting to keep a good old Aussie native, as Ive only keep natives in the past (Native Predatory Fish) and want to continue this through to spiders as well.

I'm NOT ever planning on handling the T, he will be admired from behind the safety of the glass and its venom and temperament will receive a lot respected and caution since I don't want to be its pin cushion.

I'm just after one that's active (explores, etc), and even though they are old world and aggressive, one that isn't so volatile if that exists in Aussie T's? And generally easy to care for?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wont recommend keeping austrailian ts as your first t.
The OP doesn't really have a choice. Australians are only allowed to keep native Ts by law.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Some pet shops carry a few other commons such as g.rosea like the shops out in joondalup
Huh?? An Australian pet shop selling G.roseas? Did I read that right? If that is the case, then that is highly illegal.

Sidi, if you want a fairly active T that is out and about, it's generally recommended that you choose a species from the Phlogius genus such as Sarina, Crassipies etc. They get quite bold when they're older and supposedly spend more time out in the open. Species within the Selenotholous and Selenotypus genera tend to spend most of their time deep in their burrows. As such, you likely won't see them all that often. And as a general note, tarantulas aren't particularly active creatures anyway. Most of the action occurs at feeding time.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.

I'm wanting to keep a good old Aussie native, as Ive only keep natives in the past (Native Predatory Fish) and want to continue this through to spiders as well.

I'm NOT ever planning on handling the T, he will be admired from behind the safety of the glass and its venom and temperament will receive a lot respected and caution since I don't want to be its pin cushion.

I'm just after one that's active (explores, etc), and even though they are old world and aggressive, one that isn't so volatile if that exists in Aussie T's? And generally easy to care for?
Well, I can really only speak for the two Aussies that I have in my collection - - but they may be my favorites anyway. Phlogius sp. "pq113" - I've heard they're not terribly common even in Australia. They burrowed like crazy when they were smaller, but now at 2.5" - 3" - they are out all the time, and just as active as any of my Ts. Gorgeous blue/grey/brown mix of colors, and certainly no more defensive than I would expect from any Aussie T.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phlogius crassipes is big and beautiful; P. sarina is like the crassipes but darker. Get the one I want most, sp. Aussie goliath! Like the crassipes but larger!

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Yeah mate you definitely read it right. I mentioned it is illegal for us to own other species there but I've been in joondulop before and seen some. I can probably have my fiance run over there when she wakes up today to confirm it.(its 2:34 am there)

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

They are labeled as rose hairs. Unless there is another rose hair I figured its grammastola. It came as a shock to both of us because they denied me having mine brought in.(they as in Australian customs.) And by what friends have told me along with her friends some shops in Sydney have poecilotheria. And I know the Melbourne museum has a p.fasciata right now along with a king baboons cobalt blue and t.blondi.