First Arboreal

Zak9

Arachnopeon
Hello all

Recently acquired a juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii. It is my first T but I’m looking for my first arboreal species now. Ive never really only had one species of any animal I get. Done some research and narrowed it down to either a Avic Avic or C Versicolor. Am I right in choosing between these 2? I also keep mantis , assassin bugs and even got a hog nose snake. Wouldn’t say I’m a total beginner as I know about my humidity's and temps etc. Any help and advice is taken on board I’m always up for learning new things

Thanks Zak

chris0220

Arachnopeon
I think you’ll be good with either one. If I were you I’d do some searching on the forums for “avic sling help” and soak it all in.

Lots of cross ventilation, dry/slightly moist sub, piece of cork bark leaned against the side of enclosure, some cover towards the top and a water dish and you’re golden.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Wouldn’t say I’m a total beginner as I know about my humidity's and temps etc
sounds noob to me
OK mate, you going to need vents, VENTS EVERYWHERE. I do this with all my Ts anyways. Vertical space is important. A bit of cork bark places vertically, or some people use tubes, but then you can't see anything. Sticks and other things to web up. Arboreals like cover, like advics in specific. I wet the webs, wall, and have two water dishes for my arboreals. Some people like glue water caps more vertically, I've tried it, and either is fine.
edit: forgot to mention avic is a great beginner spider IMO for any keeper with the ability to read. It gets the status as a "intermediate" species but I disagree keeping any T can be easy as long as you are smart about it and research.

Last edited:

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
I keep an A. Avic and they are great for beginners. A lot of side/cross ventilation is needed and do not keep them humid! Avics actually thrive on drier kept enclosures, with just a water dish at all times for humidity. Don't be spraying them down. Not needed.

Zak9

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your replies guys. I think you got confused with what I wrote. Was just saying I can look after my other pets great so I’m good at listening and taking advice. The humidity comment was more about spraying my mantis’s and other creatures. I know about not keeping them humid as a lot of them was dying because people believed you had to keep them in a higher humidity. I’ll read some more guides but I’m confident i would take good care of one.

VermillionFox

Arachnopeon
Id say avic avic. The ones I've had are far less stringent on humidity and vertical enclosures than a most info on the net says.

They're a very solid beginner arboreal. Do well with most any habitat, and also much less flighty than say a pokie.

Just give them water, pop a cricket or crushed worm in their hide/webbing as needed and they're good.

Do be aware though, if you attempt handling they WILL spray feces right at your face. That, and over the years folks have claimed they have a propensity to randomly pass away after adulthood compared to other species. Nevertheless, just do what you can and you'll have a very easy and happy spood.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
The enclosure of one of my Avics and the one for my Versi

Like its been said, lots of ventilation, tall cork piece, clutter/fake leaves up top for a hide/security/webbing

I see more avics available as juveniles/sub-adults, and more Versis as slings. The versi is apparently a slow grower, from what I've read

I've had one of my avics shoot poop on my arm when handling :)

Attachments

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
I've had one of my avics shoot poop on my arm when handling
Be careful on this site when you mention anything to do with handling Ts. You'll be eaten alive in the comments. A vast majority on here do not take kindly to any form of handling.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Recently acquired a juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii. It is my first T but I’m looking for my first arboreal species now. Ive never really only had one species of any animal I get. Done some research and narrowed it down to either a Avic Avic or C Versicolor. Am I right in choosing between these 2?
Either of those is a solid choice for a first arboreal. However, I'd give the edge to Avicularia avicularia, as they're easier to find as juveniles. (It's easier to start with a juvenile than a sling.)

These two threads contain helpful information:

I would strongly encourage you to post a photo of your setup (ideally before adding the tarantula) so that more experienced keepers can check for any issues that might jeopardize the health of your Avic.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
You won’t go wrong with either, but get the versi.

Zak9

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your input. I’ve been reading the Avic care guides which are on this site as well as watching various videos on YouTube. From who I believe to be good Tarantula keepers. Will be making my own enclosure like the one The Dark Den makes out of a Ferraro Rocher tub. Got my cork bark, coco earth , fake plants, Drill for the ventilation holes. Will post a picture when done

Well guys I’ve made the enclosure. Drilled many vent holes in both sides. Cork bark at an angle and a plant at top for anchor points. Also a small water dish at the bottom. I could Glue this to the side if people think it would be better.

What you think?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Looks good. Maybe just spread out the flora at the top, so some of it is above the cork and not concentrated in one spot

But it will work either way :)

Feral

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all your input. I’ve been reading the Avic care guides which are on this site as well as watching various videos on YouTube. From who I believe to be good Tarantula keepers. Will be making my own enclosure like the one The Dark Den makes out of a Ferraro Rocher tub. Got my cork bark, coco earth , fake plants, Drill for the ventilation holes. Will post a picture when done

Well guys I’ve made the enclosure. Drilled many vent holes in both sides. Cork bark at an angle and a plant at top for anchor points. Also a small water dish at the bottom. I could Glue this to the side if people think it would be better.

What you think?
I just wanna say I think you did a great job. On the DIY side, you did a really excellent job. It looks very clean and sleek, very well made. You should be proud!

And on the lay out, you also did a great job. It has everything it needs, and it looks sharp, to boot!

I'm a big proponent of having ideal animal conditions but also a visually appealing, inviting appearance.

I could nitpick it, and say maybe providing some leaves over the top of the cork bark too, especially broad silk leaves. And/or drilling some holes low on the sides to help provide an upward air current... But I really would be nitpicking, I think it's perfectly lovely the way it is! :D

Last edited:

Zak9

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your nice comments. Wouldn’t want to get an animal and not have the proper set up or knowledge. Placed an order for a C Versicolor and it will be with me next week. I can’t wait