First arboreal slings! need some help please!

Cringles

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have 3 new T's arriving on tuesday i hope.

2x Poecilotheria regalis (1-2cm)
1x avicularia versicolor (1cm)

It's my first aboreal slings, havent got set ups for them yet, as they will be arriving in what, they'll be living in! Just a question about misting, do these two types of spiders need more care/humidity than Terrestrial spiders? ive heard some rumours about, how hard it is to raise a A. versicolor from a sling, is there any truth in this? I may have more questions later, i've forgotten most of what i wanted to ask! I'll update again in the next 4-5 days with pictures!!

Would say, a jar around 6 inches high, and 4-5 inches round be to big for these little guy

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, yes the arboreal T's need most humidity and lot of ventilation, if not they could die, many sling of avicularia sp. dies if you don't have the caution with humidity and ventilation. But don't worry only moist twice in a week and put a water dish in the enclosure & don't forget to make many holes in the lid

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just use what they arrive in as their homes for now until they get a little older and they'll be fine. Mist about twice a week, not excessivly though. Make sure they have good venilation(much more important then humidity) by poking lots of holes in the top and if possible the sides. Good luck.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would say, a jar around 6 inches high, and 4-5 inches round be to big for these little guy

too wide. the height is ok. i have a few a. versi's that size right now. i use the clear acrylic boxes 2-5/16" sq. x 6-3/16" h from thecontainerstore.com i use about 1 cm of peat moss for sustrate. a chapstick cap for a water dish. a small piece of cork bark in the corner as a hide. i feed them a b. lat nymph every 3-4 days. and mist twice a week with about 2 strong mists from the water bottle from i'd say 5-6" away. they will web up the top of the whole enclosure so the mist will collect on their web but try and get thru to the bottom at least twice a month. by the way, they are quick and they like being close to the top most of the time. :D

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I raised my A. versi from 3/4" to 3" in a small parm cheese container with the double sided flip top lid. I used about 2" of vermiculite for substrate and hot glued a piece of fake ivy to the wall for it to web on and hide. I also hot glued a piece of screen over the side of the lid with the holes in it for top ventilation. Then I used a heated trim nail to melt holes in the sides of the container for added ventilation. For the misting I did it once or twice a week and the other side of the lid was used for dropping in prey items worked well for me so far :D

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had an two arboreal slings, and have an A. avic and a P. Regalis now.
I raised the two in baby food containers, and misted every 2-3 days dampening the substrate a bit and making sure to get some on the side for them to drink.
Once they were big enough I put them into small Kritter Keepers.
I went to google and put in "arboreal Tarantula setup or container" and it took me to Phong's Tarantulas.
He has his KK's set on their side, upright, with the door facing you... he put a piece of saran wrap around the bottom two inches or so of the KK, BEFORE putting the vent lid on it. It had substrate, a long piece of cork, and fake leaves.
I use a soda pop lid, sometimes with a rock in it to prevent cricket drowning.
I overflow it a little and early on I sprayed/spritzed the side of the container.

I have grown my two slings into large 3 inch sub adults and they have found new homes. I still have two arboreals, and am getting two more.

Cringles

Arachnopeon
So i got my T's plus a 4th:D

A. Versicolor 1-2cm This is the best picture i could get!

P. Regalis 2-3cm? I picked up to of these, couldnt get a picture of the other one, wouldnt let me:D super fast!

I never intended to buy a 4th T, but i just had to bring this home with me:D
B. boehmei

And just a wee Bonus:
My A.geniculata Hasnt molted in my care, or hasnt taken live prey, so ive been worried since ive had it, maybe a month and a half. It's had the black dot on its back since ive had it, today i tried the smallest cricket i had! My A.geniculata took it done without any flaw, i thought the cricket was to big, it is bigger than its rump anyway, so glad this guy is eating, and this cricket should last him while:D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just use what they arrive in as their homes for now until they get a little older and they'll be fine. Mist about twice a week, not excessivly though. Make sure they have good venilation(much more important then humidity) by poking lots of holes in the top and if possible the sides. Good luck.
agreed. for the original topic starter, don't worry about rushing to buy them a larger, more luxurious enclosure just yet. i mean, you can honestly save some bucks by just keeping them in the enclosures they were shipped with. that's what I do until they grow out of them.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So i got my T's plus a 4th:D

And just a wee Bonus:
My A.geniculata Hasnt molted in my care, or hasnt taken live prey, so ive been worried since ive had it, maybe a month and a half. It's had the black dot on its back since ive had it, today i tried the smallest cricket i had! My A.geniculata took it done without any flaw, i thought the cricket was to big, it is bigger than its rump anyway, so glad this guy is eating, and this cricket should last him while:D
wow! uh, maybe it's just my opinion, but does a cricket that large have the capability of making this little guy's abdomen explode? i know that's possible.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow! uh, maybe it's just my opinion, but does a cricket that large have the capability of making this little guy's abdomen explode? i know that's possible.
The tarantula is only going to eat its full. Tarantulas are not like people their eyes arent bigger than their stomach..so it will probably have some now and later.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Imo

Some good looking T's! Re: the A. genic; I see a really big crix and a really small sling. I guess I'd be worried about injury potential. I might prekill anything that big to reduce the risk of the sling getting ripped open. Or remove back legs (the legs alone are bigger than the sling!) at least? Props to the sling for taking down this meal though!

Cringles

Arachnopeon
The Cricket was small, i lifted by the 'scruff of the neck'' hehe,it was almost dead, it lay on its back only moving its front legs slighty, that movement was all the spider needed to attack it, so the spider had a easy kill!

Cringles

Arachnopeon
Im guessing its maybe 3 1/2 inch leg span, beautiful looking spider, if i didnt take it, the guy in the shop was ganna get it!

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I like the 40 dram vials for Ts up to about 1 1/4". Not too much substrate and
a small strip of cork bark. punch or drill 20-30 1/16" sixe holes in top. Mist
lightly every 2 days for most avics.

Cringles

Arachnopeon
Should i mist the pokies every few days to, i have 3 salt/pepper like shakers sitting on wet tissue with a heat mat underneath, its raised the humidty so theres more water droplets on the sides of there 'tanks', tempature is around 75.