Fir Dangerous to Ts?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Someone told me that Fir could be a dangerous substrate, Is this true?
I know that cedar can be dangerous but is fir the same thing as cedar?

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mulch in general is a poor substrate choice for tarantulas.

i personally just use unfertilized peat moss. you can get a huge compressed bag from home improvement stores for under $10.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mulch in general is a poor substrate choice for tarantulas.

i personally just use unfertilized peat moss. you can get a huge compressed bag from home improvement stores for under $10.
Bump to this, some Scott's 100% peat was carried at my Home Depot and it contained only 100% peat with no additives, I would steer away from mulch as well.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wasn't there something about tannic acid in conifers that are toxic to inverts?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok...now dont flame me on this one...but when you say fir is dangerous are you talking about the bark or are you talking about fir moss? the zilla substrate has fir and spanghum moss and top soil and bark(aspen bark). ive used this on 2 of my T's and 1 of my snakes. i havent had any problems. they were out of ESU Reptile Lizard Litter....which many of you know i SWEAR by! i think its the greatest thing since canned beer! but if its in some way harmful to my T's or snakes id really like to know! thanks guys!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Someone told me that Fir could be a dangerous substrate, Is this true?
I know that cedar can be dangerous but is fir the same thing as cedar?
The oils in pine and cedar can be toxic to most exotic animals. Cedar is often used as an insect deterrant so imagine if you housed an invertebrate on it. Just stick with soil or peat or coco fiber. Its a much better choice.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys I was kinda worried about keeping my Ts on this zilla substrate so I switched it out today for 100% peat, that is what I started out with so I have learned if it isnt broke then dont fix it.