Finding Pedes

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I have been doing some research, but I am unable to find any straight answers as to where and when the best time to catch Centipedes in Southern California is. I have a few Ts and would love to have a few Pedes to go along with the collection, I just cant justify spending 20-30 or even much more on one when I know they have to be around somewhere. If anyone could help me out on finding a few or if anyone has one for sale for cheap, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, only nice peed you would like to catch is the scolopendra polymorpha although you might encounter much smaller species here and there as eye candy. Just run to your nearest large field with areas that have rocks and tip them over. Or you can go to Rialto right off alder ave on the 210 fwy and you can hunt for polymorphous in abundance in those fields.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks Crashurges,
that off ramp is only about fifteen minutes from where I live in La Verne. Now I have two questions for you based on your reply.
One, you mention Scolopendra Polymorpha as one of the only centipedes worth catching. Is it possible to get one around the area that you are directing me to, or is that a species only found in other areas? If so when and where?
Two, I was trying to look up Polymophous and cant find anything, not even on the Web. Am I searching for the wrong species? I am assuming that these are not worth the drive? Just asking before I go out. If there is the chance of coming home with something I will go this weekend, unless you suggest otherwise.
Thanks again, I really do appreciate your help, Jon

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Went out yesterday morning right where you said and in about five minutes I found a few baby baby scolopendra Polymophs. About two minutes later I found one that is about four inches. Put the first one back and keeped this guy. very nice find. I also came across a few Millipedes. I didnt even know we had Millis here, totally cool. Thanks again for your advice, when it gets warmer, i am going ot go out again and find a scorpion.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh very nice, what kind of millipedes? Can you take a pic of it? I did read that millipede's can be found there.