Finding it harder keeping my Ts that need more than just a water dish

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I know this may sound silly but I'm finding it hard at getting it right when it comes to keeping Ts that need more than just a water dish. I've made the substrate to damp in some cases , how do you guys get it just right ?

TRection

Arachnoknight
I just wet a small area of the sub around the water dish and let that fully dry out for about a week before i re-wet it, depending on the spider of course you can wet more or less of the sub.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I think you're overthinking it. Depending on the species of course. @TRection pretty much nails it.
I'm ok when the Ts are Juv / adult , it's when there slings , I've sprayed to much water ( which I did with my C Elegans )had to change the substrate, them a week later I found the wee one was dead! When I changed the substrate I used a sling water dish , the humidity confuses me as well . By the way the C Elegans was I believe a juvenile.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What species specifically are we talking about? Many "humid loving" species can do just fine in periods of drought. In other words, they're forgiving of mistakes.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'm ok when the Ts are Juv / adult , it's when there slings , I've sprayed to much water ( which I did with my C Elegans )had to change the substrate, them a week later I found the wee one was dead! When I changed the substrate I used a sling water dish , the humidity confuses me as well . By the way the C Elegans was I believe a juvenile.
Sometimes they just die and what we thought as the reason may not be the actual reason.
Also, just for reference, moist soil doesn't mean soaking wet soil.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Been keeping Ts for nearly a year now . So yes it's still early days really .
Yep. It helps to keep the polar opposites, as in Theraphosa and Grammostola. Gives you a good idea of what the middle is for most tropicals.